JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have and loved an Ithaca #66 until the receiver cracked at the pivot making it unsafe to fire. Any suggestions?

Still like the H&R's with the case hardened receiver. Good balance and a quick reload from an Uncle Mikes slip on and 2 in the fist.

The H&R turkey with plastic furniture sure looked like a winner too. Bird shot to slugs in 12Gg.

Wow, the receiver cracked on that Ithaca?
Man, I looked at Numrich and they have every single part for that gun...except the receiver.
Have you checked with a gunsmith or your local gun shop? That would be the next step I would take.
Sorry to hear about that.
...on the other hand, replacement via H&R shouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish, or you could partake in one of the new offerings that have been mentioned here in previous posts.
Good luck.

Dean

Yup it did though. Bought it used from private party long ago, for $80.00.
Saw that it had a cracked forestock, but I didn't see any metal damage .
Shot it a bunch and one day it spit fire sideways at the breach. I said holy sh*t and threw it down... picked it up and saw that both pivot "ears" of the casting had cracked.
Probably been broken open too forcefully too many times and cracks started.
Now think they were painted over, it was pretty nice looking except for the repaired forestock.. Buyer beware!
Now it's a wall hanger. Too bad - it had nice balance and a comfortable stock.
I wouldn't trust repairs to the existing damage. I guess a new receiver is the way to go, but can't find one.
Thanks for the input. :)

Ithaca 002.JPG

Ed mine did the same thing ... I ended up selling it as a parts gun. :(
Sad 'cause it shot like a house afire.

I agree and also apologize for helping to skew the thread.
Way off topic, sorry guys.
No worries fellas ... I ain't that picky on where my thread meanders...:D
Andy

My son's first firearm was actually a used Stevens break open single shot shotgun in .410 ga. He saved up his own money (but of course, I was legally the owner). We found it at a gun show, back in the days of real FREEDOM. It was a "starter." IIRC...it was about $60 or $80. The stock was already cut down, it had been painted camouflage and he was big enough to open the action and reload it by himself. Recoil didn't scare him, as he already had plenty of opportunities to shoot my other guns. Yup...we also had some 22 LRs (and larger firearms) but, this shotgun was "his." LOL....yes, I paid for the ammo. Anyway, being that it was a shot gun....vaporizing clay birds that I had placed on the backstops at the range (and other dirt mounds) gave him a feeling of accomplishment and plenty of good times.

As he grew, his interests in other firearms also grew. So, a couple of years later he sold it at another gun show (to a guy that wanted it for his kids or was it grandkids?) for about what he paid for it. I sold the extra ammo at cost, to help sweeten his deal. With cash in hand, he upgraded. And, that cycle continues to this day.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
OK, you've stumbled into a covey a chukars.
They're close and they're blasting out everywhere.
And there you are with your single shot shotgun.
Nuff said.
Shows how much you don't know about hunting, DirectDrive.
Anyone who's hunted upland for any length of time knows you don't just blast away into a covey of birds as they flush.
Guaranteed miss.
You pick a bird, aim and shoot. Only way you're going to down one.
At that point, what's the difference whether you're shooting a single, a double, a pump or a semi-auto.
Once you get the initial shot off, you're lucky if you can get off one more aimed shot before everything's scattered outta sight / range.
Anyone who thinks they can Rambo down a covey of birds just because they have multiple shot available to them has an education coming.
....but don't listen to me, go ahead, prove it to yourself. :s0087:

Last Edited:
Shows how much you don't know about hunting, DirectDrive.
Anyone who's hunted upland for any length of time knows you don't just blast away into a covey of birds as they flush.
Guaranteed miss.
You pick a bird, aim and shoot. Only way you're going to down one.
At that point, what's the difference whether you're shooting a single, a double, a pump or a semi-auto.
Once you get the initial shot off, you're lucky if you can get off one more aimed shot before everything's scattered outta sight / range.
Anyone who thinks they can Rambo down a covey of birds just because they have multiple shot available to them has an education coming.
....but don't listen to me, go ahead, prove it to yourself. :s0087:
Dood...wrong tree.
Those that have hunted chukar know that there are often "late flushers" and also it is possible to "double" on the first wave.
It is harder to double on Huns because they will flush farther out and I have done that once.

;)

Edit:
I would use a single shot at the trap range but not in the field.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top