JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What $35 fee?
He's like 50 miles from you...use the site to get ahold of him then take a road trip.
I did look online and was surprised by how quickly the price of singles have gone up recently (that's the "price" of popularity for ya. Soon as the Marketeers see an uptick in a certain product, up goes the price. Typical business BS).
However, I bet if you did some leg work and went around to gun shows and pawn shops, you'd probably still find one at a decent price.
In the meantime, was the $180 gun you mentioned just the gun, or did it have a case too? (btw, that's a Stevens model 94. My brother has one. See the pic I posted earlier).
Considering that case seen with the gun I posted about is probably worth more than $30, I'd say the whole package is a pretty fair deal considering the apparent state of the market right now.

Dean

Last Edited:
Like anything the price on single shot shotguns have gone up.
They used to be in $85.00 to $125.00 range for a nice one until a few years ago.

Anything under $200.00 seems to be a good asking price depending on condition of course.
Andy

Yeah, seems that way now.
I remember asking another board about an H&R 12 gauge with the 28" modified barrel.
Big 5 was blowing that one out for $112 that week.
That was 2010.
Back when I got my 20 gauge, you could find similar guns at any pawn shop for $40-$50 all day long.

...yep, times is a definitely changin'.

Dean

So today I picked up a CVA 20 gauge. Now with h&r no longer producing anything everything new production seems kind of like garbage. Pointer, Rossi, ect. So I take a look at the CVA. Guys...Wow. these things are way better than h&r were. What a well built gun.

Oh, that CVA!
Yeah, Connecticut Valley Arms. They've been around since I was little kid...maybe longer.
Ok, that makes more sense now.
I seem to remember them being a very popular maker of muzzle loader gun kits.
<broken link removed> looks like a pretty slick little puppy, but MSRP is $216.
Seems kinda high for a synthetic stock.
Gotta heck of a line(s) of centerfire rifles, too. Wow, .300 Winnie Mag?! Brace yer butt to a tree when you let off that howitzer! :eek:
...thanks for the heads up. :s0090:

Dean

Last Edited:
Please forgive me if this is old news, but is anyone else aware that Stevens is building a break action single again?
Model 301
4469_1.jpg
(image courtesy of Stevens-Savage Firearms and Bud's Gun Shop)

...also, notice how the action breaks open....

Dean

Last Edited:
UPDATE: When I made that post, there were no prices listed at their site.
I see now they've listed a $173 MSRP for the gun.
Not too bad, considering what else is available out there.
By my calculations, I suppose a discount warehouse store might be able to offer it at around $159.99 (and I see Bud's lists them at $143 right now).

...personally, I'd like to check one of these out...

Dean

UPDATE: When I made that post, there were no prices listed at their site.
I see now they've listed a $173 MSRP for the gun.
Not too bad, considering what else is available out there.
By my calculations, I suppose a discount warehouse store might be able to offer it at around $159.99 (and I see Bud's lists them at $143 right now).

...personally, I'd like to check one of these out...

Dean
Maybe Wednesday night I can upload pics but I strongly advocate for CVA now. I haven't seen the Savage in person, but everything else on the market isn't built like a CVA. Yeah it's more money...but I'm telling you, go look at and handle a CVA just to see what you think. I'm going to try one of the rifles they got in 35 wheelen next.

Thanks Misteramax, I'll keep an eye out for one of those, too.
I seem to remember reading about a "Connecticut Arms" that was a boutique shotgun maker.
Prices in the neighborhood of a million dollars for a gun didn't seem unusual, for what they were offering.
Not sure if they're associated with CVA, but it is proof that there are still very high quality gunmakers here in the USA.

Dean

Thanks Misteramax, I'll keep an eye out for one of those, too.
I seem to remember reading about a "Connecticut Arms" that was a boutique shotgun maker.
Prices in the neighborhood of a million dollars for a gun didn't seem unusual, for what they were offering.
Not sure if they're associated with CVA, but it is proof that there are still very high quality gunmakers here in the USA.

Dean
Not sure. Cva is from Connecticut and is better known for muzzleloaders. After having a lot of hr handy rifles, CVA is night and day better. It's like comparing a rock island revolver to a Ruger.

The down side to CVA is the barrels have a large pivot pin that needs to be knocked out for taking the barrel off so it's not gun you break down. On the flip side to that... it's just stronger at taking recoil.

Not sure. Cva is from Connecticut and is better known for muzzleloaders. After having a lot of hr handy rifles, CVA is night and day better. It's like comparing a rock island revolver to a Ruger.

The down side to CVA is the barrels have a large pivot pin that needs to be knocked out for taking the barrel off so it's not gun you break down. On the flip side to that... it's just stronger at taking recoil.
Early H&R singles had the same feature. I think the model of 1908 was the first to feature a fixed hinge pin (don't quote me on the model, though. Just thinking off the top of my head).

Dean

Sorry late to this thread but @AndyinEverson might appreciate this. I still have my paternal grandfather's Savage 220A 16 gauge. My dad, my Uncle, and myself all killed our first chukars and pheasants with this same gun. It's a little worse for wear but still tight and patterns well.

Funny story, gramps used to have me clean out cow pens for 6 hours every Saturday morning until noon when I was a kid. My payment? 1 blue peters #6 shell and the Savage. He always said, "Go shoot me a gopher with that and don't miss." You get good at learning how gophers operate when you only have one shot. Gramps grew up in the Great Depression and he didn't shoot for fun it was serious business. He'd probably roll over in his grave if he knew how much ammo I burn a year:p.

20170610_182459.jpg

Like anything the price on single shot shotguns have gone up.
They used to be in $85.00 to $125.00 range for a nice one until a few years ago.

Anything under $200.00 seems to be a good asking price depending on condition of course.
Andy
I still have one for a $100! It just needs a firing pin that is available from Numrich gun parts. Montgomery Wards Hercules 20ga. With over 100 rounds of shells, slugs and bird shot

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top