JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've own exactly 2 12gages and one 410, my daughter has the 410, and the old 12 was left bhind the bedroom door when I moved back to AZ from Paympa TX, That's how they say it!
I have a H&R with an 18.5" barrel. loaded with #4 shot for hydrofoby skonks and such varmints, kicks like ---- you know!
Bought a slip on recoil pad but haven't got my nerve up to see if it works or not.
Loved my Ruger Red Label over under and puts tons of shot thru it, everything from trap and skeet to sporting clays and live stuff like quail chucker and pheasant. Don't hunt anymore and it's too darn far to go and shoot clays so I traded it off.
Gabby

Went out yesterday afternoon and repelled the mighty horde of rusty tin cans from my recycle bin.
Lots of fun was had !
During the clean up I was amazed at just how many spent shells were mine and how fast they can accumulate from a single shot .20 gauge...:D
Andy

I've own exactly 2 12gages and one 410, my daughter has the 410, and the old 12 was left bhind the bedroom door when I moved back to AZ from Paympa TX, That's how they say it!
I have a H&R with an 18.5" barrel. loaded with #4 shot for hydrofoby skonks and such varmints, kicks like ---- you know!
Bought a slip on recoil pad but haven't got my nerve up to see if it works or not.
Loved my Ruger Red Label over under and puts tons of shot thru it, everything from trap and skeet to sporting clays and live stuff like quail chucker and pheasant. Don't hunt anymore and it's too darn far to go and shoot clays so I traded it off.
Gabby
My 20 ga. H&R had a short stock. About 13 7/8". Even Rabbit & Squirrel loads beat my shoulder to a pulp with the stock end cap before I could get through a box.
I slid on a Liimbsaver and even 1 oz. Duck & Pheasant loads are a joy to shoot!
That slip on added about 1 1/2" to the length of pull, which allowed me to hug that gun into my shoulder like how it should be and that helped, too.
Even if what you got was a "joe blow" Pachmayer rubber recoil pad, you should be just fine.
Go to Walmart, throw 'em $20 for some shells and a box of clays, then grab a buddy, find a field and blast your brains out.
It'll be a good time. =)

Dean

Last Edited:
My 20 ga. H&R had a short stock. About 13 7/8". Even Rabbit & Squirrel loads beat my shoulder to a pulp with the stock end cap before I could get through a box.
I slid on a Liimbsaver and even 1 oz. Duck & Pheasant loads are a joy to shoot!
That slip on added about 1 1/2" to the length of pull, which allowed me to hug that gun into my shoulder like how it should be and that helped, too.
Even if what you got was a "joe blow" Pachmayer rubber recoil pad, you should be just fine.
Go to Walmart, throw 'em $20 for some shells and a box of clays, then grab a buddy, find a field and blast your brains out.
It'll be a good time. =)

Dean
Yep I've been there done that have the shirt. LOL
I'm more into the lighter stuff nowadays, though I might haul the Hawken out one of these days. it and my 357 are the heaviest shooting guns other than the 12 gage. Mostly shooting the 22's because of the cost of ammo. Don't scare the neighbor's dogs as much either, that's important because he is so much bigger and stronger than I am. :eek:
Gabby

Yep I've been there done that have the shirt. LOL
I'm more into the lighter stuff nowadays, though I might haul the Hawken out one of these days. it and my 357 are the heaviest shooting guns other than the 12 gage. Mostly shooting the 22's because of the cost of ammo. Don't scare the neighbor's dogs as much either, that's important because he is so much bigger and stronger than I am. :eek:
Gabby
Whatever. You posted that you got a recoil pad for that shotgun but haven't had the nerve to fire it yet.
I was just trying to reassure you that it would actually make a difference.

Whatever. You posted that you got a recoil pad for that shotgun but haven't had the nerve to fire it yet.
I was just trying to reassure you that it would actually make a difference.
Not a problem, I'm just chicken. :eek::rolleyes:o_O Hah ha.
I have less than a box of shells for it so I'm conserving against a greater need, at close range even #8's are devastating, and I have a mixed lot including 00's I think.
Gabby

I just bought a slightly used H&R Pardner in 20 gauge. I've had a blast shooting it. Quite comfortable and fun. Just shooting cans and clays, for now. I hope to go for Grouse and Hares this fall.

Qila,

Find a range and get some trap shooting in. That'll help.
You could do singles of skeet too, but those are some of the lowest percentage shots you're ever going to come across (not too common).
You'll need "target" or "Rabbit&Squirrel" loads for the range, as anything else is usually not allowed.
When you shoot the clays, start from the rest position, with the gun off your shoulder.
It'll better simulate the situation you're going to run across, more often, while out hunting.
Good luck and congratulations!

Dean

Last Edited:
Thanks Dean! A friend has been throwing clays for me with his plastic launcher thing. He says that he sees local grouse take off and land on trees or the ground 30-40 yards away. I might look into skeet and trap at Port Angeles or Forks.

Let me know how things go at your range.
I'm pretty close to the bridge. I might pack up my 20 ga. Topper and pay you a visit! (if that's ok) =)

Dean

I had an 870 in 20, but it was a youth model and the LOP was just too small for me. So I sold it to a friend for a good price as Christmas gift to his son. I felt pretty good about that one.

Its my favorite gauge.
Light and handy.
I have a 870 from 1960 , a H&R Pardner and a antique flintlock fowler in this gauge.
Andy
Not to turn this into the 20 ga. thread, but I used to have a Savage SxS in 20 that shot great, but I didn't like how it carried in the field so it sat in the gun case until I eventually sold it.
Still have my dad's 1100 lightweight in 20 / mod.
Wasn't too crazy about that gun when I was 15, but these days, its a real joy to shoot.
...these days, MY gun is a 20 ga. Topper 088 w/ 25" barrel opened to modified. =)

Dean

Last Edited:
Yeah, I should have kept the 870 and bought a bigger stock. I'd love to grab a 20 gauge 870 and throw some new furniture on it. Maybe a light. Clean and neat bump-in-the-night gun. What a great HD rig......(daydreaming of her). :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top