JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy, I'm surprised you didn't mention Iver Johnson. Those seemed to be all the rage in my family and circle of friends that have owned single shot shotguns. I, however, started out on a 20 gauge stevens model 94 when I was 11 years old (right before my 12th. birthday). I loved that old shot gun and have taken thousands of jack rabbits, quail, chucker, lizards and cow pies with it. Man, does a 20 gauge (loaded with slugs) do a number on jackrabbits :D. Growing up in northern Nevada, the quarry was endless... Boy I miss those days!!!!! I still have that old shotgun, but I'm about ready to pass it down to my nephew, so he can learn how to make that 1 shot count. I have no regrets learning that way and I'm sure he'll love it just as I did..

Iver Johnson did indeed make some some great shotguns.
Just never owned one ... and as I said in a different post , I'm reluctant to comment on that which I have had no experience.

Glad your Stevens has given you many years of service ... Hope you and your nephew make some memories with it! :D
Andy

Cool old shotgun etrain. I like it... Old firearms like that one have a lot of soul....

Part of me kind of wishes I held onto it - just because of it's age, but I wasn't making use of it, and I tend to only hold onto guns I'm actually going to shoot. If I got a chance to pick up something similar down the road, I may be tempted ;)

Over the past 5 or so years I have spent way more time shooting the 50-60(?) year old break-action 20 gauge than I have my semi-auto Benelli. Probably because I haven't hunted waterfowl or turkey recently. The 20 gauge or my old 22 pistol are perfect for casual grouse hunting. Casual meaning if I happen to see one and have no plans for dinner I shoot it to eat.

No pictures of either the 20 gauge or the 22, both at the cabin.

Iver Johnson did indeed make some some great shotguns.
Just never owned one ... and as I said in a different post , I'm reluctant to comment on that which I have had no experience.

Glad your Stevens has given you many years of service ... Hope you and your nephew make some memories with it! :D
Andy

Thanks buddy. I appreciate that..

@Slobray , dang man - that's a harsh story guy...:(

I'm a sucker for shotguns for some reason; I even bought a Marlin goose gun that had been in an accident - stock is broke in two with a chunk missing and when I got home I realized that right after 19" the 32" barrel was bent:(.

It's in a pile of air rifles waiting for me to be bored and ready for a project gun.

I shoot the 12ga 1952 Jc Higgins the best (besides my dad's Jc Higgins 870 replica but it just stays oiled since I got my own).

I truely miss my double barrel 20ga 2 trigger shotgun - that thing was small and swingable, super accurate. I'll get another someday for sure.

I want a single shot just to have one but I'm not paying $200 for one when I can get a mossberg pump for not much more:oops:.

Have my dads, dad's simi-auto 20ga but it was reblued just before I got it and a pita to clean so its not used either.

When I was 18 years old, I bought a new, plain old single-shot 12-gauge from the hardware store. I went bird hunting on a number of occasions with that utilitarian scattergun. It is long gone now, of course, and I never went back to the single-shot after going to SxS doubles. Still, those light, handy, very inexpensive, single-shots have their place.

I hear ya Joe...
The prices on these are going up and unless you really like a single shot , most folks get a inexpensive pump.
( As you noted Joe )

I use mine a lot ... grouse , bunnies , plinking and even has done duty as a house / camp gun.
( I know it may not be the best at this ... but it beats a hash word and prayers )
If you are a shotgun guy , it makes sense to get one , even if it's just because...:D
Andy

@Slobray , dang man - that's a harsh story guy...:(

I'm a sucker for shotguns for some reason; I even bought a Marlin goose gun that had been in an accident - stock is broke in two with a chunk missing and when I got home I realized that right after 19" the 32" barrel was bent:(.

It's in a pile of air rifles waiting for me to be bored and ready for a project gun.

I shoot the 12ga 1952 Jc Higgins the best (besides my dad's Jc Higgins 870 replica but it just stays oiled since I got my own).

I truely miss my double barrel 20ga 2 trigger shotgun - that thing was small and swingable, super accurate. I'll get another someday for sure.

I want a single shot just to have one but I'm not paying $200 for one when I can get a mossberg pump for not much more:oops:.

Have my dads, dad's simi-auto 20ga but it was reblued just before I got it and a pita to clean so its not used either.
you and my buddy would get along great. he has a hard-on for any shotgun and any 22lr

Hell yea!

I still have a hard time passing up cheap .22's lol.:rolleyes:
my son has 2 22lrs already. hes not even 3 yet. i got one for free and one for a benjamin. i refinished the stock on the free one(which came out great BTW) its a single shot bolt action where the safety comes on every time the bolt is cycled. a great learner. the other is a tube fed semi auto. it shoots but needs some work. the bolt is supposed to stay back when the charging handle is pressed in and it doesnt. im sure its just dirty.

A guy in ,well by Port Townsend had quite a selection.
I'm guessing with his personality the store ain't there any more.
First time I went to check out the store he wasn't open yet. Told me he'd be open soon:cool: and closed the door on me:eek:
Then coming back from a gun show we decided to stop in.
I asked about the 24's. He didn't know me at all but told me they were expensive. I should have said 'so $5000?' like I thought that was expensive. But we just didn't bother going back instead.
Oh yeah Chiapa makes a double gun like a 24 now
Rocky Mountain Bushcraft: REVIEW: Chiappa Double Badger Folding .22 Magnum/410 Shotgun

Love my H&R. can double as a blunderbuss a little easier than a 870 or 500 but they can do this as well

1 box of 209 Primers+pyrodex+ old high brass casing (no shell) and BB's = SHTF best friend

Just understand your black powder loads

Careful when loading black powder in plastic shells.
A friend of mine did that ... and after touching off both barrels ... we found melted red plastic in the chamber.
looked like red spaghetti when we pulled the shells out ... Yuck! :eek:

Not saying all plastic shells will do this or those loaded with Pyrodex ... Just that his did when loaded with black powder.
( Winchester hulls )
Andy

I think the best way is to cut the shells down to just brass. then use a dowel to muzzle load it. but the H&R is a good candidate for this. Plus the shortlane adapters work without having to unscrew the barrel.

Oh... I misunderstood you.
I thought you were talking about reloading shotshells with black powder....
Not some sort of muzzle loading conversion.

Sounds interesting but I'll stick to my original muzzleloaders.
Cool idea though.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews