JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one NEF Handi Rifle in .223 Rem. At one time, I had several accessory barrels for it in different chamberings. Plus a few other complete H&R / NEF rifles. When I was down-sizing, I let most of this equipment go.

The NEF's in .223 came with two basic barrel configurations. One had a straight-line taper to the muzzle, fairly heavy. The other (which was more common in later manufacture) had a taper that had a severe origin just forward of the chamber which resulted in an overall thinner, lighter barrel. The .223 that I retained has the heavier barrel. I had two of the later, lighter barrel versions and in my experience, these were most accurate in their first few, cold shots. After that, they lost their zero. On the other hand, the heavy barrel version holds its zero from first shot to however many subsequent shots.

We have one of the Savage Chipmunk single shot junior rifles that I bought for my grandson. Now that he is shooting 9mm pistols and .38 revolvers, I don't think it will see much use. But it was good enough to see how lasting his interest in shooting would be. Recently, I bought an adjustable stock for one of my AR's so he can shoot that.

Also in the area of single shots, I have an NEF 28 gauge with the short barrel. And a Harrington & Richardson .410 bore that I got for my 16th birthday.

I keep the NEF .223 single shot with the thought that some day it might be one of the last firearms we are allowed to own. And if this is the case, we will still have some purpose for the supply of .223 ammo.

IMGP0247.JPG A fairly accurate 22 plinker has given me a lot of fun over the years.

"What I like in a firearm...is simply that...what I like...and it may not be the same for anyone else.
Which is okay , if we all liked the same in firearms...it would make for boring gunshops.."

Amen Brother.

After years of owning and shooting repeaters, semi auto and fully automatic firearms, I have become very interested in single shot platforms for some reason and the importance of making that one shot count. Something my grandfather tried to impart to me years ago.

I have a truck load of single shot firearms...albeit , most are muzzle loaders of the antique persuasion.

I do also enjoy my single shot bolt action .22LR rifles as well as single shot shotguns.

I have owned in the past a few center fire rifles that were single shot :
A Ruger No. One in .45-70
A Savage 219 in .30-30
A Winchester high wall in .44-77 Sharps Straight
A Browning 78 in .30-06
Various 1873 Springfield rifles and carbines

Single shot firearms are very enjoyable , to both shoot and hunt with for sure...and don't get the print , so to speak , that they deserve.
Andy
Woa Thanks that really helps!!

Many hours spent shooting grey diggers at my grandfathers farm with a Remington model 514. I was fairly proficient up to about 30 yards. To this day I am very fond of that simple, straight shooting 60+ year old single shot.

My first 45-70 was an H&R copy of a Trapdoor Carbine. Neat rifle, but I couldn't load it hot, so I sold it.
The next one is the only one I know I have a picture of, Browning B78, also in 45-70. This one was cool and it wasn't any problem getting a little over 2000fps with a 400gr bullet. I really liked it, but it went away because it ended up just sitting in the safe.
B78.jpg
When Savage came out with the new Favorite, I bought one. Had a lot of fun with it and taught my stepson how to shoot with it. Probably shouldn't have traded it off, but you know that story...

I regret to admit that your reply has gone straight over this poor old head.
Al Straitiff was the designer/producer of the Competitor Pistol. He and his family ran the "mom and pop" company, even though they made tons of parts (as sub-contractors) for other gun companies. But, trying to get some repair work done by them required contact with their state attorney general's office. It was a sad aspect of an absolutely unique and amazing weapon.

That pistol was available in over 350 calibers and chamberings, by sinmply changing the barrel and using the same action and stock.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top