JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my first singleshot 22 i recieved before i was born it was given to my older brother and had 6 brothers initials carved in the stock as each came along. mine was the 5th set of initials added, when you have that many brothers sharing is the only option. in the 60s. we got a nice browning semi auto 22 for christmas [shared of course] i learned the hard way how easy it was to run short of ammo. so always reverted to remington single shot. we also had a savage single 30 30/ 20 ga. that passed down as each brother got to hunting age. my first mule deer buck was taken with 1894 25 35 [also passed down] whitch explaines my other addiction winchester 1894s. i have had 7 currently have 5

If ya learn on a Single Shot...
P7140337.JPG

Ya grow up ta know there's nothin' better.

PA120057.JPG

Winchester model 121 bolt
Winchester model 55 semi auto single shot
Winchester model 1885 45-70
Savage MK II FVT either single shot or with a mag depending on how i set it up.
2) 50 cal. muzzle loaders.
No single shot pistols though I have had a few in the past.
Also in the past had
Chipmunk. 22
Winchester model 69
Winchester model 67

yes i bought a chipmunk for my grandson and he liked it, but his mother(my daughter) doesn't. he shot it 2 different days, but has outgrown it now. maybe his younger brother will get his chance soon.

Single shot rifles aren't all I own, but they are by far the guns I mostly own. I do have some handguns, and various bolt action, and lever action rifles. But 95% of my shooting is done with late 1800's single shot cartridge rifles.
I got into them probably 30 years ago, and gradually noticed they'd taken over all of my safes, except one. Then they soon took over my hunting and shooting too. I set aside my trusty bolt action hunting rifles, with nice scopes, and went to old single shots with iron sights. The level of satisfaction I got from harvesting game with these old rifles was by far much higher than when I was basically sniping deer and elk at long distances with high powered scoped rifles.
I shoot mostly long range now, with the vast majority of my shooting being done at 500-1000 yds. with my old guns. It's so much fun that I rarely get my handguns, or other rifles out to the range much.

I've owned lots of ruger #1's contenders and encores, now I just have a encore with .44 mag and 45/70 barrels.
Love to shoot the .44 mag with a suppressor and 300 gr subs. K7gaUTQ.jpg
DCLI0H8.jpg

I hve wanted asingle shot in .357 for a long time, but way out of my price range when they could be found. Solved the itch by buying a break action 12ga from Bi-mart for $99 and ordered a .357 insert from chaszel for $100, and a sight from See-All for $69. Now I can shoot up all those .38 sp I loaded up for my EDC.

I hve wanted asingle shot in .357 for a long time, but way out of my price range when they could be found. Solved the itch by buying a break action 12ga from Bi-mart for $99 and ordered a .357 insert from chaszel for $100, and a sight from See-All for $69. Now I can shoot up all those .38 sp I loaded up for my EDC.
i think H&R HANDI RIFLE HAS 357 BARREL available nice good quality cheap gun, if you can find one.

I wouldn't mind having a Chaszel Insert myself for one barrel of a double barrel shotgun. Have you noted any down side to yours?

I've a true love for my old BSA martini-Henry actioned .22 target rifle, peep sights suit me just fine.

Of course I've got a few .50 cal muzzleloaders, some single shot shotguns as well. Plus a Savage 101 pistol that is just a darn fun gun.

When you've only got one shot, you pick your shot.

anybody else a singlshot fan i have rugers and contenders. have had XP100s before. have new to me 30 30 carbine barrel for contender arriving soon. WHAT SAY YOU.
I've never had a single shot rifle fail to feed :)

My first single shot action was a gen 1 Contender with braked 30-30 and .223 Rem pistol length barrels.
I added a 23" 44 Mag barrel and carbine stock furniture. H110 loads shoot the "Ring of Fire" ... very picturesque.
For dabbling into 17HMR, I picked up a 23" barrel despite ribbing from my varmint buddies who said I needed to follow up shots quickly, which subsided after shooting it and getting the nick name "death ray".

Though not in the same vein, I have a couple of single shot bench rest rifles which is where I spend most of my range time.

I even shoot a few of my magazine fed rifles one round at a time for the "Quigley" effect. I shy away from rapid fire timed events preferring aimed well placed shots.

Personally the Ruger #1 is one of the best looking rifles around though I have yet to own one.

Winchester 37a 12 gauge with 18" Chaszel insert in 45 colt. also shorter 45 acp and even shorter 38/357. the local indoor range only allows most pistol calibers except 44 mag and up. outdoors I shoot a H&R handi rifle 500sw mag. with usually 300 to 700 grainers at plink to painfull. open sights only. have owned a dozen or so single shots and sorely regret trading them off for "modern " firearms.

any prize for the strangest single shot? how about a .30 carbine barrel screwed on a Remington Lebel rifle? ugly as sin, surprisingly accurate fun little gun. never photo'ed it , should have. traded in for an almost as ugly .22.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top