JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
anybody else a singlshot fan i have rugers and contenders. have had XP100s before. have new to me 30 30 carbine barrel for contender arriving soon. WHAT SAY YOU.
I am a fan. I bought a single shot CVA hunter in 243. Haven't shot it yet but the price was right. I picked up a rusty Winchester 410 shotgun. I have my trusty Traditions Pursuit NW inline muzzleloader. I have plans for building single shot firearm out of AR15 parts. I also want to buy a 20ga break open shotgun and some adapters to fire centerfire cartridges with it.

Hmm.

I don't have a single-shot anything :(

I like having different actions, so it seems i should start looking for something single-shot - now to decide what would be good to get! :D

Al Straitiff was the designer/producer of the Competitor Pistol. He and his family ran the "mom and pop" company, even though they made tons of parts (as sub-contractors) for other gun companies. But, trying to get some repair work done by them required contact with their state attorney general's office. It was a sad aspect of an absolutely unique and amazing weapon.

That pistol was available in over 350 calibers and chamberings, by sinmply changing the barrel and using the same action and stock.
o.

I was utterly unaware of that here in UK. All I know, since I could handle it, but not shoot it, was that THIS one was made in Czech Republic, not USA. Here in UK, as you may or may not know, each calibre barrel is treated as an entirely separate firearm, so having a .223 barrel is like having another .223 rifle. NOT popular with the PTB.

Competitor 223

Single Shot Pistol (Long Barrel) (R/H) - S/H

£2,000US$2,751/€2,338
  • 201122142346009-1-680x410-c.jpg
This item was for sale as of 02:13, 26 Aug 21
  • 201122142346009-1-330x198-c.jpg
  • 201122142346009-2-330x198-c.jpg
  • 201122142346009-3-330x198-c.jpg
  • 201122142346009-4-330x198-c.jpg
  • .223 Long Barrelled Pistol
    laminated stock
    condition is amazing and fully operational Cannon lock.
    This is not a gun to be missed

SPECIFICATIONS

• Make:Competitor
  • Licence:Firearm
  • Orient.:Right Handed
  • Serial #:017629
  • Stock #:180830/009
  • Condition:Used
EMAIL SELLER

SELLER

• Type:Trade
  • Name:Gun N Garage
  • Address:Holyhead, Gwynedd
  • Tel:01407-XXX XXXReveal
  • Mobile:07498-XXX XXXReveal

Last Edited:
o.

I was utterly unaware of that here in UK. All I know, since I could handle it, but not shoot it, was that THIS one was made in Czech Republic, not USA. Here in UK, as you may or may not know, each calibre barrel is treated as an entirely separate firearm, so having a .223 barrel is like having another .223 rifle. NOT popular with the PTB.

Competitor 223

Single Shot Pistol (Long Barrel) (R/H) - S/H

£2,000US$2,751/€2,338
This item was for sale as of 02:13, 26 Aug 21

SPECIFICATIONS

• Make:Competitor
  • Licence:Firearm
  • Orient.:Right Handed
  • Serial #:017629
  • Stock #:180830/009
  • Condition:Used
EMAIL SELLER

SELLER

• Type:Trade
  • Name:Gun N Garage
  • Address:Holyhead, Gwynedd
  • Tel:01407-XXX XXXReveal
  • Mobile:07498-XXX XXXReveal
The barrel appears to be marker "New Ipswich, New Hampshire" which was one of Competitor Corporation's locations. IIRC, Groton Massachusetts (first location) and Jaffrey, New Hampshire (last location) were others in the strange saga. I have posted an encapsulated summary elsewhere. I will try to find it.

anybody else a singlshot fan i have rugers and contenders. have had XP100s before. have new to me 30 30 carbine barrel for contender arriving soon. WHAT SAY YOU.
I'm quite a fan of my grandpa's 1950s single-shot hammer-action break-open shotgun. He gave it to me a few years before he passed on to the happy hunting ground...

The barrel appears to be marker "New Ipswich, New Hampshire" which was one of Competitor Corporation's locations. IIRC, Groton Massachusetts (first location) and Jaffrey, New Hampshire (last location) were others in the strange saga. I have posted an encapsulated summary elsewhere. I will try to find it.
That is not the gun I showed you with my old pal John B shooting it. That photo is over thirteen years old now.

Anyhow, it's moot - he's had to give up pistol shooting, even with what they laffingly call a pistol here in mainland UK, due to advanced cancer. I just thought you like to see what they fetch here in UK these days.

That is not the gun I showed you with my old pal John B shooting it. That photo is over thirteen years old now.

Anyhow, it's moot - he's had to give up pistol shooting, even with what they laffingly call a pistol here in mainland UK, due to advanced cancer. I just thought you like to see what they fetch here in UK these days.
Good heavens! Poor fellow - is he still with us? Was the NHS able to keep hgim going?
As to weapons, I know that even airguns are regulated. Misplaced focus, entirely. I shall have another look at the price. Of course, rarity and desirability drive the market price.

Last Edited:
He is surviving, thank you, but has had to give up shooting as he has great difficulty holding anything due to his muscular degeneration. He is a very dear friend of many years, and the lifeblood of our little club of just over 460 members.

Airguns up to 12 ft lbs [rifles] and 6 ft lbs [pistols] are freely available in England and Wales, given the usual age restraints. All airguns have to be licensed in Scotland, but in Northern Ireland ALL airguns over 1 J require a Firearms certificate, just like a .338LM or .50cal Barratt....makes sense to somebody, I guess, but not to me.

I have a Savage model 112 single shot in 220 swift. Stainless steel fluted bull barrel. Long range varmints
And a Contender in 7-30 Waters and 221 Fireball. Short barrels. Deer hunting and varmints

7-30 waters ok i shot a buck pronghorn with my 7 30 contender super 14. load was 120 g. ballistic tip. from cloud of dust behind buck i thought i had missed, but being a good hunter i followed up anyway. buck ran about 300 yards and died. so i traded 7 30 for 30 30 i have not shot anything with 30 30 yet.

7-30 waters ok i shot a buck pronghorn with my 7 30 contender super 14. load was 120 g. ballistic tip. from cloud of dust behind buck i thought i had missed, but being a good hunter i followed up anyway. buck ran about 300 yards and died. so i traded 7 30 for 30 30 i have not shot anything with 30 30 yet.
My brother has shot way more deer (white tail) then me. We tried different bullets and most didn't want to expand properly. The 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip performed the best because it expanded better at the lower velocities of the Contenders.

i only tried 120 grain, i had some 115 gr. and 130 gr. the 130s were marked as single shot pistol, i should have tried them.
I tried the bullets marked for single shot pistol too. Barnes were one brand. They all seemed to hold together too well. Accuracy was another consideration.
We felt 140 gr was needed for deer sized game based on experience with 100 gr Hornady in 243 Win that didn't seem to do a very good job and a 30-06 165 gr Nosler BT that did way too much meat damage.

thank you for your reply interesting, if we had this forum back in the day i may have held on to the 7 30. i sold my origionl 30 30 barrel to a freind and bought the 7 30. i only tried the one load. . i used the 7mm TCU for sillouette shooting, and thought the 7 30 would be a good game cartridge. i should have tried more loads.

thank you for your reply interesting, if we had this forum back in the day i may have held on to the 7 30. i sold my origionl 30 30 barrel to a freind and bought the 7 30. i only tried the one load. . i used the 7mm TCU for sillouette shooting, and thought the 7 30 would be a good game cartridge. i should have tried more loads.
I guess the 7-30 is OK. If you're sitting a tree with a Contender. At the time it was better then a shotgun and slugs. Nephew used a Contender in 308. Now that is getting to be a hand full! :)

i don't hunt from a tree stand. i made a stalk and got within 70-80 yards and made the shot. contender was not chambered in .308, but encore was. encore was big brother to contender stronger action to handle rifle cartridges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top