JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting close to finished. Still needs a cage, the ls swap tuned and some odds and ends but mostly ready to wheel.

Resized_20240114_120436_1705338228801.jpeg

You guys have no idea how much fun this is. Think about it, your only flying 30 miles an hour at about 500 to 1000 feet just before hunting
season spotting the herds, scoping out where the animals are that you will be hunting. Never mind all the stuff no one ever gets to see from the air. It real hard to get hurt in one of these, you just got to watch out
for the barbed wire fences.

You guys have no idea how much fun this is. Think about it, your only flying 30 miles an hour at about 500 to 1000 feet just before hunting
season spotting the herds, scoping out where the animals are that you will be hunting. Never mind all the stuff no one ever gets to see from the air. It real hard to get hurt in one of these, you just got to watch out
How much of a problem are barbed wire fences 1000 feet up?

No thanks, I prefer actual wings and propeller, and bush wheels! I can cruise as slow as 20 MPH in FULL control, land in places helicopters shake their heads at, and still cruise at 125 MPH across country, while burning 5.5 gallons per hour, yea, I stick with the Bush Plane thank you! LOL

1711859192953.png

Take offs and landings only. Other than that, I could go to 10,000.
You land at idol or engine off, so yes it's actually safer that an airplane.
You already have a 550 sq. foot shut over you. if you have 150 or 200 foot
clearing, you can take off or land easy.

Bush planes are great also.

The worst flyer in our RC flying group is a veteran and still active commercial plane pilot. The only thing I can hear from the guy is fu****k!!! Then plane drops on a mountain and we have to climb 700 feet just to get it. :s0092:

Last Edited:
Mix of hobby and something that I gotta take care of.

Looks like I'm removing the front and rear bearings of my 12.7 detroit to replace the thrust washers. I'm happier doing this sort of thing than I am driving the truck. Upside is its $83 for thrust washers and $50 for oil pan gasket. Downside is I wanted an excuse to do an overhaul.
Yeah, I do most of my own automotive work still. I don't know if you'd call it a hobby now, but it used to be. My dad got me hooked on it, it was his business and hobby. He was one of those lucky men who was able to combine business with pleasure.

The metal chunks in the picture remind me of a little anecdote that I hadn't thought about for years. We had many vehicles at our disposal to drive when I was a young driver. One such was a 1947 Ford 1/2 ton panel truck. One day I started out driving it to high school. About half way there, I noticed there was a "chunk-chunk-chunk" sound that had developed in the (manual floor shift) transmission. It might've involved the input shaft and the counter shaft, as it was constant. When my dad got home that evening, I described it to him, he took it for a drive, and when he came back, he said something like, "Haven't I told you not to hot rod these old things?" Which I justifiably denied, as the defect occurred spontaneously at an innocent 30 mph.

Anyway, the next weekend, he took up the metal transmission floor cover, and pulled the top cover with the gearshift lever off, looked around inside, and found that a sheet metal screw had gotten lodged in the gear teeth somehow. How a sheet metal screw got in there is a question that was never answered. Once removed, the transmission seemed to suffer no ill effects. I was relieved to be exonerated.

Yeah, I do most of my own automotive work still. I don't know if you'd call it a hobby now, but it used to be. My dad got me hooked on it, it was his business and hobby. He was one of those lucky men who was able to combine business with pleasure.

The metal chunks in the picture remind me of a little anecdote that I hadn't thought about for years. We had many vehicles at our disposal to drive when I was a young driver. One such was a 1947 Ford 1/2 ton panel truck. One day I started out driving it to high school. About half way there, I noticed there was a "chunk-chunk-chunk" sound that had developed in the (manual floor shift) transmission. It might've involved the input shaft and the counter shaft, as it was constant. When my dad got home that evening, I described it to him, he took it for a drive, and when he came back, he said something like, "Haven't I told you not to hot rod these old things?" Which I justifiably denied, as the defect occurred spontaneously at an innocent 30 mph.

Anyway, the next weekend, he took up the metal transmission floor cover, and pulled the top cover with the gearshift lever off, looked around inside, and found that a sheet metal screw had gotten lodged in the gear teeth somehow. How a sheet metal screw got in there is a question that was never answered. Once removed, the transmission seemed to suffer no ill effects. I was relieved to be exonerated.
do you still collect cars?

do you still collect cars?
Not really. My wife has a car, and I have three cars:

1972 Ford Ranch Wagon, ex-USAF
2004 Ford Crown Victoria, bought new
2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, bought second hand in 2017.

I don't really like newer cars.

At one time, I'd have 20 or more cars on hand but those days are long over. Think about it, 20 cars times 4 wheels, that's 80 tires to take care of. 20 batteries. 20 cooling systems. On and on.

My 72 Ford wagon is my hauler, just today I hauled some building materials over to my daughter's house for a project.

Not really. My wife has a car, and I have three cars:

1972 Ford Ranch Wagon, ex-USAF
2004 Ford Crown Victoria, bought new
2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, bought second hand in 2017.

I don't really like newer cars.

At one time, I'd have 20 or more cars on hand but those days are long over. Think about it, 20 cars times 4 wheels, that's 80 tires to take care of. 20 batteries. 20 cooling systems. On and on.

My 72 Ford wagon is my hauler, just today I hauled some building materials over to my daughter's house for a project.
Those early Fords are "Staff Cars." My father was a Naval Officer and use to ride on those.
Turning screws and car collection will always be a part of you where and whenever. When I was 19 years old, my friends aunt told me that there will come a time that I will have friends of all kinds of color and class.
It all just started with one car. I dropped a performance engine on a '72 celica and install a tri-amp alpine stereo with a custom box. As far as I remember, that was not even done in the US back 1983. After this, so many people coming to my moms house from a working class, waitress, nurses, bank auditor, VP, lawyer..... They just want to be your friend. I remember I swapped 53 engines in my moms garage till I moving to a 2 bedroom apartment with a remote garage. I was just dong it for fun and learned from my uncle that has a big shop in another country started in our house when I was 8 years old.
I really miss those day and definitely will always put a big smile when I remember it just like yesterday. Right now I just have 4 cars now and even told my wife I will sell my 67 MG that I bought and restored all the way back in 1988. She wants a used Honda CRV so that we can use it for a roomy family weekend drive vehicle..

Last Edited:
Retired 6 years now. My wife and I are RV camping over 100 nights per year. Pacific beach Washington
1711899286110.png
Lake Coeur d'Alen, Harrison ID
1711900997365.png

Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes 73 miles paved through the woods. No hills! We always see moose on the trail.
1711899812644.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany