JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, last week I was driving home from the store and got pulled over in Woodburn (haven't been pulled over for YEARS), officer asked for my ID, registration, insurance, etc. I handed him my DL and CHL, informed him my loaded pistol was in the center console... he barely glanced and my CHL, handed it back to me and repeated that "its in the center console?" (and I confirmed it again)...asked for my wife's DL as well, she made a jockular comment, "dont' shoot, he's one of the good guys!"

He replied (with a wink and chuckle), "then I suggest he doesn't reach for it", informed us that he pulled us over because my wife wasn't wearing her shoulder restraint properly, went back to his motorscooter ran the plates/personal info, etc. and came back and gave my wife a little lecture about the importance of wearing seatbelts properly and gave HER a $147 citation... then we sat there on the side of the road BS-ing about his new bad-a** police motorscooter, etc. for about 15 mins.... LMAO!!

Absolutely no drama... for me! :s0155: But then again... I'm caucasian!! :s0112: :D

All adults are required by law to carry SOME form of government issued ID when out in public, so she would have submitted that instead of her DL... matter of fact, she inadvertantly handed him her Australian ID/DL (she's an Aussie citizen who is a permanent resident in the USA and we go back there from time to time, and she had to explain her situation of dual residencies)...

So anyway, regardless she would have been given the citation as she was the offender, not me. Now had it been one of my kids (or any other kid) in violation, then YES I would have been given the citation because I'm the responsible guardian of minor children while they are transported in a vehicle I am driving.

Yessir, I believe if you are asked by an LEO to ID yourself (for WHATEVER reason X, Y, or Z), you are supposed to be able to prove who you are, and IIRC you can actually get a citation for failure to carry valid ID... but I can't quote you the source of that notion.

I know my legal alien wife (and any legal alien over 18) is required to have in her possession AT ALL TIMES her permanent resident ID (aka Green Card)

Yessir, I believe if you are asked by an LEO to ID yourself (for WHATEVER reason X, Y, or Z), you are supposed to be able to prove who you are, and IIRC you can actually get a citation for failure to carry valid ID... but I can't quote you the source of that notion.

I know my legal alien wife (and any legal alien over 18) is required to have in her possession AT ALL TIMES her permanent resident ID (aka Green Card)

LOL. Not according to the court that struck the Arizona law down!

LOL... well we're talkin' about EXISTING FEDERAL law, not a "duplicate image" of proposed state legislation, and political posturing/pandering to grow the democrat party numbers. :D

I can dig through the SIX INCH THICK immigration/social security file we keep here on my wife and 3 Aussie kids and verify that if you want. :s0155:

LOL... well we're talkin' about EXISTING FEDERAL law, not a "duplicate image" of proposed state legislation, and political posturing/pandering to grow the democrat party numbers. :D

I can dig through the SIX INCH THICK immigration/social security file we keep here on my wife and 3 Aussie kids and verify that if you want. :s0155:

Oh, I believe you completely that is how things are supposed to be. lol. Just figured I would complicate it a bit. :s0112:

I don't know anything about ID requirements for legal aliens and will take your word for it. For US citizens, I agree that an ID can be required when operating a motor vehicle, legally carrying a concealed firearm...at least in Oregon, or boarding a commerical airliner. There may even be other "licensed activities" that would preciptate need for an ID. For general purposes like walking down the street or being in public places, however, I don't think so.

All adults are required by law to carry SOME form of government issued ID when out in public....<snip>

I would ask you for clarification or foundation for such a claim.

I've worked with Federal Information Center, as well as city govt information
center and I would assert that there is no legal requirement for civilians to
carry proof of identification in general settings.

Wrong. You are not required to PROVE your ID (e.g. with an ID card)
Wrong. You are not required to SAY your name.

Exceptions: (there may be more).
A) If you are arrested. (You must give your name)
B) If you are driving a car. (You must show driver's license)

I don't reach for ANY paperwork till I tell them I have a pistol with me. I then let them tell me if they won't to see my permit or not.

Agreed. Also, Ive found that giving respect gets me respect and less "hassle".
I get stopped very rarely anymore, but if it happens I tell them that I have a permit and if I have a firearm with me or not. If I have one, I tell them where it is.
I've been pulled over probably 6 or 7 times in the last 20 years and not once have I been given any grief about it. Often times it does play into my favor, or starts a short gun conversation with another gun enthusiast.
Also, by the time the officer walks to you vehicle, he's already run your plates and knows the registered owner has a permit to carry or not. Unless you are in Lake Oswego! Got pulled over earlier this year for an obstructed plate. When the officer got to the vehicle and it was time to hand DL and registration, I informed him that I had a permit and was carrying. He took the DL, CHP and registration and went to his car. I sat there for quite a while. When he came back to me he said they didn't have any record of my permit. We talked about that for a bit and he said that it sure makes it easier for him when he knows, and if my info had come back to him when he ran my plates he wouldn't have bothered to check me out for such a trivial issue. Then he handed my stuff back to me and asked what I was carrying. Nice dude. He commented favorably on my Dan Wesson CBOB. :s0155:
In general, I've found that the officer appreciates the up-frontness and is very civil.
Also, I found out that I had a permit when I got pulled over on my way home years ago. The officer asked if I had any weapons to which I responded with a "no" and asked why. He said,"Cuz it said you have a concealed handgun permit when I ran your plates". Sweet! Got home and it was waiting in the mailbox for me.

That being said, you may if you choose tell him you have a firearm in the car. You will not receive any benefit from notifying him. You may be temporarily disarmed. You can be polite without giving up your rights.
Often times a gun can be a big distraction from the original reason from stopping you, it wouldn't surprise me at all that there are officers who give people breaks that inform them that they are carrying.

The same way if a cop see a radar detector on your windshield he's much more likely to NOT cut you a break.

If he asks how fast you are going do you admit (guilty) to your speed? Personally I do not, I am polite, courteous and hand him my ID, registration and say nothing.
Yes I do, I have the right to forfeit my rights as I see fit.

I was stopped for 65 in a 50 in July while open carrying my 10mm.

The officer approaches my window.

Cop: License and registration please.

Me: Yes sir but I'd like to inform you I'm open carrying a weapon. (I always open carry my 10mm when going to the mountains)

Cop: Where is it? (even though I'm open carrying it, it's concealed when I'm sitting in my truck)

Me: Right side

Cop: Where is your licence?

Me: Right rear pocket.

Cop: OK, reach for your wallet very slowly.

Me: Yes sir

So I took off my seatbelt with my left hand while my right remained on the steering wheel. I rotated my lower body toward him so he could see my gun, he then decided to disarm me for the remainder of the stop, he unloaded the weapon and placed it in the bed.

Cop: Any other weapons I need to know about?

Me: My normal concealed gun is in my bag back there, it's unloaded.

Cop: OK, registration and proof of insurance?

Me: Yes sir (Also gave him my CPL)

Cop: Do you know why I stopped you?

Me: Speeding.

Cop: Yep, 65 in a 50.

Me: Yeah I figured that's how fast I was going.

He goes back to the cruiser. I keep my hands outside my open window, I thought for sure I was getting a ticket this time.

He comes back

Cop: When did you get your CPL?

Me: January

Cop: Hmm, well it isn't showing up in the system.

Me: That's odd, I can show you my OR CHL, you have to have a WA CPL to get it.

Cop: OK, well as far as the stop is concerned, just watch your speed, a lot people are out driving right now and they are going too fast.

Me: Yes sir

Cop: Do you mind if I run your gun serial number real quick?

Me: I guess if you really want to

So he radios in the number.

Cop: So where you headed.

Me: Gifford Pinchot (National Forrest)

Cop: Where about?

Me: Clear creek

Cop: You don't plan on riding that there do you? (referring to the motorcycle in the back of my truck)

Me: No, I'll be going up to the trails tomorrow.

Cop: Oh OK, the forest service guy would have a sh*t fit if he saw you riding that at clear creek.

A couple minutes goes buy and he informs me that they are having a hard time looking up my gun.

Cop: Well I appreciate you being cooperative with me and letting me know you were armed.

Me: Yeah no problem, I know I'm not required to inform you guys but I figure it's best to.

Cop: Yeah we really appreciate being told up front.

Another minute goes buy with nothing back from dispatch.

Cop: Well I'm not gonna hold you up any longer man, wait till I leave and you can come back and get your gun from the bed.

Me: Thank you sir

Cop: Drive safe

Me: Have a good night

Cop: You too.

So far informing officers that I'm carrying and being honest about my speed (as well as keeping my radar detector hidden :s0114: ) has kept me ticket free, continue to do as you wish though.

came back and gave my wife a little lecture about the importance of wearing seatbelts properly and gave HER a $147 citation..

What a load of crap! How is improperly wearing a modern seat belt any different than wearing a lap belt?

Washington municipal police agencies do not uniformly receive CPL information with their traffic stop data. It is up to each department and their dispatch to set up this protocol.

So for what it's worth, do not assume the officer will always be informed of your CPL status.

There is no general necessity that you must have a specific form of ID when in Washington State. It is only for certain activities that you must be licensed. These include Driving (drivers license), possession of firearms (CPL), operating certain types of businesses, voting, enrolling in an educational institution and so on.

I'm not aware of any US code that requires citizens of the US to carry ID -yet.

there is no general necessity that you must have a specific form of id when in washington state. it is only for certain activities that you must be licensed. these include driving (drivers license), possession of firearms (cpl), operating certain types of businesses, voting, enrolling in an educational institution and so on.

But that's racial profiling!!!!!! :D

I have always heard you are supposed to tell them if you have a gun in the car.
Again in Seattle I may not divulge this and up here they already figure you do.
I don't say much either way.Just ask them what's up.

I still maintain that he didn't need to know about any of them. He assumes he needs to know because the propaganda has been running so long that even someone who has sworn to uphold and defend the constitution has forgotten it.

I agree. I wonder why they ask the question that way.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top