JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the contrary- running your license plate will provide the Officer everything he needs to know about you. The dispatch will run you for everything and will know more than you think they know.

Carrying a weapon in your vehicle in PLAIN VIEW is perfectly legal..

False. It 'may' tell them about the registered owner of the vehicle.
Not all LEDS show a CPL, that is about a 5th tier request and most agencies (911 which are often multi agencies and seperate from a police department) do not run tiers past 1 or 2.

And don't think that I am not fully aware of how requests are run.

I really think it's one case where police haven't thought it through very far, obviously bad guys won't tell the truth, and are not likely to have a permit.

Criminals are many many times more likely to shoot a cop, yet it's the law abiding who they ask.

There is a possibility that laws have been broken if police have the information from the license number, because we have been told that the information is not kept, but is only used to keep bad guys from buying guns. I had a gunsmith actually tell me that the info has a very short shelf life.
If indeed they are keeping the records it seems like an anti-constitutional, and therefore an un-American, infringement. It is an infringement for the same reason that any privacy matter is made public against the individuals wishes secretly. Why do police need to know?

That question is at the heart of the whole discussion. Do they think that armed Americans are dangerous to them?

If they have the right to know then who else does? If my being armed makes me dangerous to police wouldn't it make me dangerous to everyone?

Should anyone have the right to ask, should I have to answer? Should I have the right to ask if the officer is getting along well with his wife? It's well known that people get much more aggressive after a fight with their wives, and he is definitely armed.

Please think about these things folks. I can't see any good explanations of why police should get to know, unless I'm doing something felonious.

Great thread. Last time I was pulled over I never mentioned my cc permit and he never asked. (No ticket, just a warning.) I did have an interaction with the police years ago and was asked if I had a firearm in my truck. I said yes, and a nice conversation ensued about my .357 wheel-gun, though I never showed it. That does bring up a question though:

And letting them know you have a firearm will give them permission under the court's authority of "officer safety".

Is this true; they could have searched my truck by my saying that I had my revolver in there?

Conundrum if true (and if the following is accurate), in that it's not illegal to lie to a local or state police officer - though it is a crime to lie to the feds, or to "hinder an investigation" by lying. Neither is the case in a traffic stop re: legally carrying. But if I tell the truth about it I give up my right to not be searched without cause? :huh:

Great thread. Last time I was pulled over I never mentioned my cc permit and he never asked. (No ticket, just a warning.) I did have an interaction with the police years ago and was asked if I had a firearm in my truck. I said yes, and a nice conversation ensued about my .357 wheel-gun, though I never showed it. That does bring up a question though:

Is this true; they could have searched my truck by my saying that I had my revolver in there?

Conundrum if true (and if the following is accurate), in that it's not illegal to lie to a local or state police officer - though it is a crime to lie to the feds, or to "hinder an investigation" by lying. Neither is the case in a traffic stop re: legally carrying. But if I tell the truth about it I give up my right to not be searched without cause? :huh:

Could they search your truck. Only if you give them permission. (Most people do) They might ask you to step out of your truck and pat the outside of your clothing down for the weapon. (see Terry v. Ohio)

It is illegal to lie to an officer. However, you do not have to answer any questions. Or you can just simply ask "what seems to be the problem officer?"

Well the Gestaapo doesn't need any more info in their little heads than necessary.

I'm all for helping the policia if it suits me and they are doing some investigation in my neighborhood.
I would give up my CCP and license AND go out side to talk to them if I was open carrying.
Just to make their life easier.

I did live in Lakewood,where the cops have to deal with filth all the time.(see the TV show "Cops")
Most of Pierce Co LEOs are kind of anal.

Anyway,I have never given a cop my permit and have never had any problems because of this.

Why would a officer have a problem with someone who passed a backround check anyway?

I have been stopped for running a stop sign, which I didn't. I gave the officer my dl, ins and chl, he asked where and what. I told him "Glock and under the seat" and that was the end of that. He reviewed his video and let me go. I was later stopped while on my motorcycle going 10 over. I wasn't armed at the time and didn't show my chl. No mention was made of it by the officer. I was sent on my way with a written warning. So I think I will let them ask me from now on. I was told when I took the class that it showed that you are a "good guy" but I think I really doesn't matter.

You get a ticket every time your pulled over because you no doubt project a bad attitude - thus you get the ticket. Try being polite and you may just get out of it..

Bullbubblegum. Last couple of tickets I have received I earned and the cop was writing his ticket out on the way to the car. No amount of kissing his public employee *** was going to make any difference.

Well the Gestaapo doesn't need any more info in their little heads than necessary.

I'm not advocating one way or the the other, but I must comment on what you said. Don't you think that any LEO's read this forum? By calling them "gestapo" you don't do our cause any good! Yeah, Yeah, I know about the 1st Amendment and I support it just like all the others, but sometimes "discretion is the better part of valor".:s0155:

I'm not advocating one way or the the other, but I must comment on what you said. Don't you think that any LEO's read this forum? By calling them "gestapo" you don't do our cause any good! Yeah, Yeah, I know about the 1st Amendment and I support it just like all the others, but sometimes "discretion is the better part of valor".:s0155:

After being on this forum for just a few weeks,**** a couple hours,I will guarantee you that this forum and all it's members are watched all the time.

The guys who wrote the "Shame on the Pierce Co Sheriff", the Bone head from Beaverton that was confronting the police? (Without as he said,the proper ID and permits)
(biggee something)

This forum is monitored every day.
Calling the policia the "Gestapo" is the least of their worries
I don't have much to worry about seeing some of the posts from this forum.

But I understand where you are coming from.
Thanks for the heads up.

I have to say again,that there is WAY too much dissent towards the police here.
There are sooo many members on here that are against the police ,no matter what.
Like a young guy that wasn't accepted for the Police academy.

I look around here and I speak my mind,but I do not accept all the ideals on this forum.So many of the ideas on here are way off base from what is needed for a safe existence

After being on this forum for just a few weeks,**** a couple hours,I will guarantee you that this forum and all it's members are watched all the time.

The guys who wrote the "Shame on the Pierce Co Sheriff", the Bone head from Beaverton that was confronting the police? (Without as he said,the proper ID and permits)
(biggee something)

This forum is monitored every day.
Calling the policia the "Gestapo" is the least of their worries
I don't have much to worry about seeing some of the posts from this forum.

But I understand where you are coming from.
Thanks for the heads up.

:s0112: :s0112: :s0112:

mjb, being monitored reflects our liberty how? Questioned and papers checked improves our stature how again? GPS our cars? Tap our phones and email?

I'm at a loss as to WTF you are asking,seeing how I didn't hit on any of these things specifically.

Could you start over please.I'm kinda slow

You too redcap,fill me in.

You don't believe this place is monitored?

Carrying a weapon in your vehicle in PLAIN VIEW is perfectly legal..[/QUOTE]

Not a totally accurate statement for the State of Oregon. If you have an Oregon County issued CHL then most restrictions are off throughout the State. Since the Oregon Court of Appeals has determined that the passenger compartment, inside your vehicle, is public; if you do not have a CHL, then local ordinances take effect.

LCDR

I'm at a loss as to WTF you are asking,seeing how I didn't hit on any of these things specifically.

Could you start over please.I'm kinda slow

You too redcap,fill me in.

You don't believe this place is monitored?

I am quite certain the 'authorities' have better things to do than monitor a relatively small, local internet forum.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top