JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder why they ask the question that way.

I think it's two fold.

1. The old assumption that the only "good guys" who are armed are police.
2. They are afraid they won't go home some day and want to know so they can be prepared.

The wrong thinking in the first one is obvious, in the second, although it's understandable it's not logical. Anyone with a permit has shown by his or her life that they are not criminals, nor violent, and, of course, the ones who they should be concerned about would never tell them they are armed even if asked, because they don't have a permit and do have a past with criminal activities.

The gun felony may be the least of the reasons why they wouldn't answer.

To ask is analogous to asking "Are you a criminal who wants to murder me?" The permit makes that stupid question superfluous.

There was a commerts section, to which I said;

"In my state it's not required to declare that I have a weapon. You ask "Why not?" I answer "why?" Since i'm not breaking any law with my handgun, and have a constitutional right to keep and bear it, I'll tell you why not. I have talked with an officer who told me that under the circumstances of a legally carried weapon he breaks the oath he took to defend and protect the constitution by taking the weapon for the duration of the stop. There is no provision in the constitution that says an officer may disregard the constitution. If I tell him I'm carrying when I don't have to I may be giving him a stupid "reason" to dishonor his oath. I will not do that! My carrying a weapon has NOTHING to do with the stop! Should a martial arts practitioner tell aout that? Sounds ridiculous for obvious reasons, doesn't it?"

There was a commerts section, to which I said;

"In my state it's not required to declare that I have a weapon. You ask "Why not?" I answer "why?" Since i'm not breaking any law with my handgun, and have a constitutional right to keep and bear it, I'll tell you why not. I have talked with an officer who told me that under the circumstances of a legally carried weapon he breaks the oath he took to defend and protect the constitution by taking the weapon for the duration of the stop. There is no provision in the constitution that says an officer may disregard the constitution. If I tell him I'm carrying when I don't have to I may be giving him a stupid "reason" to dishonor his oath. I will not do that! My carrying a weapon has NOTHING to do with the stop! Should a martial arts practitioner tell aout that? Sounds ridiculous for obvious reasons, doesn't it?"

Yep. Right on the mark in my opinon.

I think it is just plain smart to disclose immediately that you have CCW; likely establishes that you are a good citizen. And, above all means tell the officer before he askes if you are carrying concealed and/or have a weapon in the car before he askes. Officers do not like surprises with all the KR_P they have to put up with. IF YOU ACT DISHONEST OR DECEIPTFUL IT MAY COME BACK ON YOU. imo

The fact I am carrying a gun in the car is irrelevant to my driving and the fact I am about to be issued a ticket . Drivers License, insurance and registration is all they get from me. No chit chat about something that is none of their business.

likely establishes that you are a good citizen.

So, if I see no good reason to bring it up (Since it is totally irrelevant) and see many good reasons to not bring it up, am I a bad citizen?

IF YOU ACT DISHONEST OR DECEIPTFUL IT MAY COME BACK ON YOU.

If I don't tell him something that is not relevant am I being dishonest or deceitful? I mean, I could tell him I'm having a nice day and that I just got a new puppy, or, since it has nothing at all to do with our "visit", I could keep quite about my nice day and puppy. Is that dishonest? I think your point is silly and is based on your own belief that we somehow "owe" a debt to inform him. We do not!

It is not being arrogant or antagonistic to not tell an officer something that is irrelevant. For it to be relevant you will first have to tell me why it is relevant. To accept what you say it will actually have to be relevant.

How is it relevant?

Check out his link. A LEO explains how to deal with this subject.:)

www.gunsite.com/main/pulled-over-while-carrying/1401/

That's a good write-up. I got pulled over the other night and did all of that (even though I didn't have a firearm on me.) The officer had me on speeding and failing to stop at a stop sign (11PM) but let me go and told me to be safe.

Officers are just fine if you're not a d-bag.

The author clearly stated everything one should do with a CHL when stopped in a traffic stop. Nice article.

"Where I work and live, in Michigan, folks who have a concealed pistol license are required to inform the officer stopping them that they have a weapon with/on them."

Michigans laws are not my concern. What people "should" do in Michigan does not really apply to Washington or Oregon.

I think it is just plain smart to disclose immediately that you have CCW; likely establishes that you are a good citizen. And, above all means tell the officer before he askes if you are carrying concealed and/or have a weapon in the car before he askes. Officers do not like surprises with all the KR_P they have to put up with. IF YOU ACT DISHONEST OR DECEIPTFUL IT MAY COME BACK ON YOU. imo

By invoking my right to be silent I am being dishonest or deceiptful (sic)?

NO, I carry in the open and it is in plain view. I am open and honest but it is not brought up because it has nothing to do with a traffic stop. I sit politely in my car and say nothing, let him write his ticket and go about my way. A moving violation is not a felony, running the plates of my car will not show a felon and therefore I am not illegal nor acting illegal. I do not respond to how fast I was going, I do not tell him I had pancakes for breakfast.

You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. You think that showing a piece of paper to exercise your rights granted by your Creator to keep and bear arms. That is propaganda and you know it. Enough with going along with the anti's and how they want you to behave.

If and when it becomes the law in Washington or Oregon that I am required to inform an officer that I am carrying a handgun then I will do so. Until then I will inform the officer of everything I am legally required to inform him of. That would be drivers license, proof of insurance and registration. I get a ticket every time I get pulled over. Since I don't expect that to change because I over volunteer information and the guy probably is not going to become my new best friend if I do... I just don't see the point.

Actually guys the fact that you have a CCW permit is entered into LEDS (law enforcement data system). when the Officers runs you he will be notified that you a permit-

There is no requirement in the law that you must notify the officer that you have a CCW permit. He may ask you if you are carrying a weapon - but it is not a violation of any Oregon Law.

If and when it becomes the law in Washington or Oregon that I am required to inform an officer that I am carrying a handgun then I will do so. Until then I will inform the officer of everything I am legally required to inform him of. That would be drivers license, proof of insurance and registration. I get a ticket every time I get pulled over. Since I don't expect that to change because I over volunteer information and the guy probably is not going to become my new best friend if I do... I just don't see the point.

You get a ticket every time your pulled over because you no doubt project a bad attitude - thus you get the ticket. Try being polite and you may just get out of it..

By invoking my right to be silent I am being dishonest or deceiptful (sic)?

NO, I carry in the open and it is in plain view. I am open and honest but it is not brought up because it has nothing to do with a traffic stop. I sit politely in my car and say nothing, let him write his ticket and go about my way. A moving violation is not a felony, running the plates of my car will not show a felon and therefore I am not illegal nor acting illegal. I do not respond to how fast I was going, I do not tell him I had pancakes for breakfast.

You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. You think that showing a piece of paper to exercise your rights granted by your Creator to keep and bear arms. That is propaganda and you know it. Enough with going along with the anti's and how they want you to behave.

On the contrary- running your license plate will provide the Officer everything he needs to know about you. The dispatch will run you for everything and will know more than you think they know.

Carrying a weapon in your vehicle in PLAIN VIEW is perfectly legal..

On the contrary- running your license plate will provide the Officer everything he needs to know about you. The dispatch will run you for everything and will know more than you think they know.

Carrying a weapon in your vehicle in PLAIN VIEW is perfectly legal..

Uhhh, ya ok... It doesnt mean they wont hassle you regardles. Im VERY polite to LEO, and too am of the thought that I do not expect NOT to get a ticket just because i stick my nose up an officers *** if I was doing something wrong...

In the past I havent offered the info, and have in one instance as well. I believe the situatuion depicts whats right... But lately am more of the thought that I have nothing to hide, dont do drugs, dont drink... So the WORST im ever going to be guilty of is driving too fast,l its not going to hurt me to just tell them I have a CPL, then wait for them to ask if im carrying, and be honest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top