JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's simple really.

Senario: You get pulled over and the officer communicates to you what the infraction is and ask's for DL,insurace,Registration. He then returns to his/her crusier and runs your info and is told are valid with no wants or warrents.....and you have a CHL. Now the officer has to return on foot to your car knowing you might have a gun and I'm sure wondering why you didn't inform them in the first place. This hightens the situation a bit don't you think?

It's just my opinion but if you have nothing to hide then why not be upfront about it?

Why give any more information than absolutely required? Like others, I have had a bad experience with being 'upfront' when dealing with LEO.

I've been stopped twice in 15 years of c.h.l. carry, and have been let off each time. Both were for a slight speed violation. I'm also a DPSST certified armed security officer. Each time the officer was given my credentials and informed where my side arm was located. No prob. Greydog.

Why give any more information than absolutely required? Like others, I have had a bad experience with being 'upfront' when dealing with LEO.

I'm pretty sure that in the CHL class's you're told to to let an officer know that you're carrying up front. Am I wrong about that?

Also, did you inform the officers duty commander of the officer's behavior and was it out of line? That would have been my next step.

I'm pretty sure that in the CHL class's you're told to to let an officer know that you're carrying up front. Am I wrong about that?

Also, did you inform the officers duty commander of the officer's behavior and was it out of line? That would have been my next step.

What CHL class? WA is shall issue, with no class requirements. Also, in WA we are not required to inform of carrying.

I certainly did.

It's simple really.

Senario: You get pulled over and the officer communicates to you what the infraction is and ask's for DL,insurace,Registration. He then returns to his/her crusier and runs your info and is told are valid with no wants or warrents.....and you have a CHL. Now the officer has to return on foot to your car knowing you might have a gun and I'm sure wondering why you didn't inform them in the first place. This hightens the situation a bit don't you think?

I don't know. I would imagine that they would figure out that if you were going to shoot them, you would have done it before they ran your info. through their computer. In my experience, once they run my license they come back and hardly ever mention my chl. Every once in a while they will say that they saw on the computer that I had a CHL and ask why I didn't inform them. I just tell them straight up that I have not found all officers to be as understanding and have had some negative experiences. Never had a attitude about it.

It's just my opinion but if you have nothing to hide then why not be upfront about it?
I don't tell the officer that I have a bi-mart card either. Both have about the same relevance to a traffic stop.

Dies ist ein Polizeistaat, und Sie werden gehorchen. Das Strafgesetzbuch, Vehicle Code, Gesundheit und Sicherheitscodes, Business und Berufe sind da, um rechtliche Recht geben, Herass festzuhalten, und nehmen Sie hart verdientes Geld.

Dies ist ein Polizeistaat, und Sie werden gehorchen. Das Strafgesetzbuch, Vehicle Code, Gesundheit und Sicherheitscodes, Business und Berufe sind da, um rechtliche Recht geben, Herass festzuhalten, und nehmen Sie hart verdientes Geld.

LOL. Yeah, I myself think that officers should have something better to do than to stop someone for a dead license plate light. It does seem that we have migrated that way for certain. I don't know if we are a police state yet, but sometimes I wonder.

Every concealed class instructor, and every police office I know or have spoken to on the supject have said that you should always hand your permit to the officer with your DL. Police want to be in control, in particular during a traffic stop which is the most dangerour part of their job. They do not like to be surprised and finding out after they have gone back to their car that you might be packing.
It is probably rare to find a cop that does not being informed if you are armed.
If it was me, I would want to know. And any cop who reads you the riot act because they dont think you should pack is being unprofessional and should probably be reported anyway. Often ties in this day and age the conversation is being recorded.

There's no reason not to help the officer be at ease and deal with you in a morer relaxed manner. On a stop when I had over PoI and license I always tell them I have a CPL and the status of whether or not I have a firearm in my car at the time.

100% of the officers have been noticeably appreciative and on four occasions I was given my paperwork back after a second and given a polite verbal warning.

One doesn't have to, but don't be surprised if you get a little less cordiality out of the officer.

theres no reason not to tell him most the time he will hand it right back and tell you to have a nice day

I have experienced first hand a reason not to tell the officer! That is why I don't do it anymore!

I posted the entire story before. The short version is during a traffic stop, my buddy who was driving handed officer 1 his chl with his dl and informed him where his gun was (not even within reach). Officer 1 yelled to officer 2 "he's got a gun"! Both bafoons had guns drawn and my buddy took a trip head first into the pavement! Those idiots shouldn't have been wearing a badge, but I have seen many more that shouldn't be either. I have had a much better time not notifying the officer and that will continue to be my course of action. For those of you who have had things work out well notifying the officer, more power to you. I hope it continues that way for you.

I have experienced first hand a reason not to tell the officer! That is why I don't do it anymore!

I posted the entire story before. The short version is during a traffic stop, my buddy who was driving handed officer 1 his chl with his dl and informed him where his gun was (not even within reach). Officer 1 yelled to officer 2 "he's got a gun"! Both bafoons had guns drawn and my buddy took a trip head first into the pavement! Those idiots shouldn't have been wearing a badge, but I have seen many more that shouldn't be either. I have had a much better time not notifying the officer and that will continue to be my course of action. For those of you who have had things work out well notifying the officer, more power to you. I hope it continues that way for you.

This sounds somewhat familiar, though my head didn't hit the pavement. I was, however, detained for a protracted amount of time...for zero reason, save for the fact that I was an armed citizen with proper credentials.

Most officers I know are supporters of gun rights and are big supporters of the CHL program. Why you ask? Well if you have a CHL/CWP it means that you have had a very thorough back ground check and your good to go. Giving the officer this info when you get pulled over is a check mark in your favor from the start.

Ehrlich zu sein, den Offizier hält Sie davon ab, erschossen in das Gesicht!

This is a real "seeing red" issue for me. The Constitution says we have the right to keep and bear arms. Police should assume that we are all good citizens and therefore armed. To not be armed means you are too lazy to do the right thing IMHO. Being armed means I'm ready and able to apply deadly force to stop evil doers who are attacking me or my family, or even help unarmed citizens who are being attacked.
Any LEO's reading this? Please think this through completely. I'm convinced that the reason LEO's get upset about this is because they have not thought it through.
Now, if the officer is concerned that I'm a liability by not being armed that is probably a legitimate concern, and in a righteous world police would ask, then inform citizens who aren't armed that they need to learn to use firearms, get their obnoxious unconstitutional permits and be armed!

"Most will be fighting gun bans and keeping our rights just as much as a civilian."

Some are, and I applaud them, but most police feel that only they can be trusted with a firearm. Why they do, or how they came to such a stupid idea is beyond me.

The use of a firearm requires high morals, and my personal experience, as much as I can judge by appearances, is that police are no better or worse morally than the average citizen. To carry a firearm implies the possibility of it's use, good citizens should be armed.

I was at a Christmas party where I struck up a conversation with a rookie cop, I asked him about the issue of informing the officer if I'm armed during a stop. (This was Yuma, which now has no requirement for a permit, but did then.)
He said he wanted to know, so he could take the gun and lock it in his car during the stop.

Clearly he is a case of an officer who hadn't thought it through very well. He had taken an oath to defend and protect the Constitution but was telling me openly that he felt that he, as a government employee, had some special right to infringe on the second amendment!

To shorten this up, I don't tell unless asked, and feel it is none of his business!

Last month my friend and I were going shooting.... We both were in a good mood because it was gonna be a nice day and we were going shooting. We were in Gresham and he (my friend) was driving a little too fast and it was way early in the morning (still dark). Well I as his friend should have told him to slow it down but to make a long story short, before we knew it we had lights flashing behind us. I believe it was a Gresham Police Officer and as soon as he came up to the driver side I had my CHL license in my wallet in my hand and I showed it to him. I was on the front passenger side and I had my badge in the wallet too. The Officer saw the ID and asked me if I had my firearm on me and I said "yes sir I do, on my right side hip and it's holstered". He thanked me and I knew he saw that I had a badge lol....... the way my wallet is, I have my ID cards in a flap that folds over the badge but the piece of cloth that goes over the badge to keep it from getting scratched was folded out and you could see part of the badge. I believe that the Officer believed that we were good honest people and also saw part of my badge and he just let us go. I always have my wallet out the window showing my ODL and my CHL..... just out of respect and to put the Officer's mind at ease and to kinda distract him. There has been times when the Officer didn't even know I was a license holder (weapons) and he/she was really glad that I told him/her that I have a license. All the police that I knew (friends or whatever) have always told me it's respectful to show your ID and it also makes you as a person look very honest. I have never had an Officer be rude to me and hassle me because I told them I had a weapon with a license on me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top