JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Silver cost to produce seems to be running ~$24/ounce so should I invest more in guns or silver? I love both. I think some day people from China, Indian, and other emerging markets will begin to compete on a grand scale for precious metals. The demographics of these countries (2 billion) will drive demand through the roof. We will all say "I should have bought silver when it was at $28 per ounce back in March of 2013. Current mining yield is ~750,000,000 troy ounces per year and yields continue to decline. People with disposable or investment funds continue to increase. I wish Americans would wake up to what is going to happen in the future. More people competing for a shrinking supply of precious metals.
I also quit doing the 401K investing thing since government debt will mean higher taxes in the future for all and destroy the tax deferred benefits of 401K plans. My 401K plan is now a physical silver plan. :D
Guns continue their historical growth in value of ~1-2% per year.

Silver cost to produce analysis:
<broken link removed>

In 'normal' times quality guns generally don't go down in value. They probably keep up with inflation as much as silver does at any rate. I.e. that same Ruger Standard .22 pistol that cost $70 new fourty years ago can't be found used for under $200 today. Own a reasonable amount of guns and silver. And I agree with the above about ammo too, but get more than you need (if there is such a thing).

Keith

Fifteen years ago or so, I was into finding and buying good used Remington 700 hunting rifles in various calibers. I bought several and the going rate seemed to be around $300. I bought a few ounces of silver just because it seemed cool, and it was around $4 per ounce.

What are those rifles worth now? Not that much more than that. Even kept in great shape they have probably gone down in value when you factor in inflation. I wish I had bought more silver instead.

At the same time, I didn't really buy the guns for an investment, and you can't shoot silver (unless you're the Lone Ranger, of course). I've learned that real investments are rare, collectible guns or things like stock and land.

In 1978 I passed up a job in a company fairly unknown called INTEL, I later bought Chevron stock in the Mid 1980's before the rise in the 1990's.
Good choices bad choices.

I passed up on buying $5,000 in Microsoft stock soon after it went public, it's be worth a few million now. Oh well, at least it would have made my ex wives happy!

Ammo or things you can own that have a specific use/benefit are superior to silver. Silver is good for one thing. As a replacement for fiat monopoly, ever-declining dollars. You know, that non-existent inflation thing.

That said, probably not the greatest time to be 'investing' in ammo because of the obvious crazy pricing.

Silver, on the other hand, in my opinion only at $29 is probably the opportunity of a lifetime.

I say that even though I bought most of my silver at $7-11 an ounce (thank for Peter Schiff). When I bought silver eleven or so years ago, everyone told me I was nuts, 'it was just $5 an ounce and it is not worth $7" etc, etc. "What is better than a bank?" I even had to change my accountant to someone not so much in the bubble.

I agree with Salted, it is just speculation.

I believe the worst storage of wealth is the dollar, or money in a bank. That is just me. Those that understand money/debt, what Fiat is, etc, understand.

Stick to one creed and you normally will do ok - go against the lemmings/herd. When everyone is desperate to own something and paying sky-high pricing for it (like Ammo), buy something else.
Buy things that are not under the radar of the desperate masses.

People are not desperate to own silver right now like they are with ammo. They WILL be very desperate to own silver in the short years ahead, that is just about a given. Anyone that believes the Fed can continue to print Trillions of 'digits' and inflation will not be a reality don't understand basic economic supply/demand. The corpse (the USA's financial condition) is just being held together with Scotch Tape at this point - re: Money printing out of thin air. Like Weekend at Bernies, the bankers are just transferring accounts/$$ around to give the appearance of life, but make no mistake, our economy is done.

Also, if the government or a bank is telling you to do something, do the opposite.

OP - congratulations for dumping the future worthless IRA in favor of physical silver. You are way ahead of the herd on that one! When the 600 trillion dollar derivatives tsunami hits, a fully funded IRA might buy a pack of gum. Oh wait, the underfunded 1/371 FDIC will come to the rescue lol.

The greatest transfer of wealth the world has ever known is pending. Whether you want to be one of the victims of that transfer is entirely up to you.

Yes.

Haven't done the math but at $65 a brick,22lr has to be close to silver right now.
And you can feed yourself with 22lr.Throwing silver at a rabbit to kill it takes some skill.

Just don't go too far with a Lanza-like huge arsenal. Got to love the fake lamestream media and their hyperbole. 130 rounds of 9mm, misc mostly-empty boxes, and 31, count them 31 .22 rounds. That is a hell of an arsenal for the media to scare the soccer moms and sheep over today. His 'arsenal' could have probably fit in a lunchbox.

Of course, when you have a government/corp-controlled media like we have, words like "ARSENAL" are all the idiot populace have to read. The desired irrational emotional response is there, no need for any follow up facts.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Just don't go too far with a Lanza-like huge arsenal. Got to love the fake lamestream media and their hyperbole. 130 rounds of 9mm, misc mostly-empty boxes, and 31, count them 31 .22 rounds. That is a hell of an arsenal for the media to scare the soccer moms and sheep over today. His 'arsenal' could have probably fit in a lunchbox.

Of course, when you have a government/corp-controlled media like we have, words like "ARSENAL" are all the idiot populace have to read. The desired irrational emotional response is there, no need for any follow up facts.

View attachment 59943

I heard today on the news about that "arsenal". I wondered what that meant... :huh::s0114: Sounds pretty scary to me! :)

Bluesurf,

What it REALLY says is when it comes to active shooter scenarios if the person has <300 rounds of ammo in their possession they are every bit the risk of a bad guy having 100,000 rounds. But, of course, the media isn't saying that. "Arsenal" is used to describe anything held by a gun enthusiast or sportsman.
What they want to portray is that anyone who has over a couple hundred rounds of ammo is to be considered potentially a terrorist, active shooter candidate, or just an overall dangerous nutcase. Baby steps. Just like if you have more than 30 days of food you are up to no good and it should be confiscated.

Ahh, freedom - smell it.

Stay aways from buying guns. They NEVER appreciate in value. Ammo, gold, silver will all at least keep their value. And out of those three examples as of right now silver has the highest likelihood of accually gaining in value. But you never know. Will a new technology come along or a new discovery be made that causes a price drop?

Silver, has a high demand in industry. Much higher than gold. When industry picks up the demand for silver will rise more and much faster than gold.

Stay aways from buying guns. They NEVER appreciate in value.

Normally true over time, but I sure would like to go back to Oct and buy a KSG shotgun for $800 or a HK23 for $1500. Now twice the $, many other examples. Of course, you are correct, guns are not great general 'investments' but they are sure a lot more FUN than a stack of silver coins! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top