JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had similar thoughts about gold and silver. You can hold it in your hand, but what good is it really in a SHTF situation? I know, I know, historically it has been valuable. But I can't eat it, shoot it, drink it, etc. I think of the Mexicans at the end of the Humphrey Bogart movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Out in the desert the sacks of gold are worthless to them, left on the ground scattered by the wind.

Bitcoin? I have ZERO interest in that. I'd rather take my money and head for Vegas. That would be more fun. :D
PM's are simply a store of wealth, another basket if you will.

Taking your post literally, what good is anything you can't "shoot, eat or drink"? Dollars? Euros? Stocks? Bonds? IRA's? Etc etc.

PM's have value over broad types of "SHTF". Broader than fiat, broader than much of what is commonly & newly thought of as investments. Not all types of "SHTF", just acrossed broader types. Into recovery-which is when PM's would LIKELY do best. For the holder of diverse baskets...

Plus, YOU need to find someone who is willing to transact with them. Easy enough for me, however a lot of folks don't understand the concept, so immediately simply discount them (PM's) as a tool. Just another basket.

Mind, they (PM's) may NOT have the value you paid. However rarely are they VALUELESS. In the event they (PM's) are low value, then simply transact in something else. Another basket.

They used to have a decent burger, and their $2.99 breakfast had my well fed back in the mid 80's
Paperboy living like a king.
Oh, Denny's was great back in the day in Salt Lake City! A great place after the bars closed! It would be packed. We used to give the waitresses such grief, but they took it in stride. Freezing glasses to the tables, loosen lids on the salt shakers. And their British Burger was a favorite. Hussle the waitresses asking about made up weirdness of Mormons as though we didn't live there. But we also had Bog Boy restaurants.

PM's are simply a store of wealth, another basket if you will.

Taking your post literally, what good is anything you can't "shoot, eat or drink"? Dollars? Euros? Stocks? Bonds? IRA's? Etc etc.

PM's have value over broad types of "SHTF". Broader than fiat, broader than much of what is commonly & newly thought of as investments. Not all types of "SHTF", just acrossed broader types. Into recovery-which is when PM's would LIKELY do best. For the holder of diverse baskets...

Plus, YOU need to find someone who is willing to transact with them. Easy enough for me, however a lot of folks don't understand the concept, so immediately simply discount them (PM's) as a tool. Just another basket.

Mind, they (PM's) may NOT have the value you paid. However rarely are they VALUELESS. In the event they (PM's) are low value, then simply transact in something else. Another basket.
You forgot the lotion.

Oh, Denny's was great back in the day in Salt Lake City! A great place after the bars closed! It would be packed. We used to give the waitresses such grief, but they took it in stride. Freezing glasses to the tables, loosen lids on the salt shakers. And their British Burger was a favorite. Hussle the waitresses asking about made up weirdness of Mormons as though we didn't live there. But we also had Bog Boy restaurants.
Wait, there were bars in SLC? I thought it was a dry state back in the day.

Wait, there were bars in SLC? I thought it was a dry state back in the day.
No, but the beer had to be 3.2%. You couldn't get some beers because not all brewers would brew the beer just for Utah. You COULD take a bottle of Jack, or whatever, in with you. To chase with the beer. :D There were a lot of convoluted ways to get drinks in restaurants. And belong to a private club where you'd take your bottle in, with your name written on it that the bar tender would make your drink with/Or buy their mini bottles.
Heck, since them "Religioustrators" (as dad called them) lost their tales, they even allow 'Breweries" there now! But you have to go into the state liquor stores to get the real beer that most of the rest of the world drinks. As far as I know anyway. Haven't been back there since 2013.

I did say "I know. I know. Historically it has been valuable." And yes, the same would hold true for cash, stocks, bonds. If the world's governments collapsed, they all could be worthless. Confederate currency comes to mind. Now mind you, I'm not saying I don't have any of these types of holdings. Just a mental exercise. Heck, I even have a little gold (one 1oz. Krugerrand), but it was a gift.

Maybe it's because I'm notoriously cheap, but I really struggle with the value of gold and silver because its value is mainly because it's visually appealing to some people. I'm not really aware of any "usefulness" other than silver bullets for killing werewolves. One of my buddies told me he bought his wife a $2,500 set of gold earrings. I about choked. When I told my wife, she said if I ever bought her a pair of $2,500 gold earrings, she would have me checked for brain lesions. :p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top