JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First one buy used. You will upgrade once you figure out what you really want.

New, used, doesn't matter, but if it is for home defense don't buy a POS, your life may depend on it.
^^^Also this. Don't buy the cheapest pistol at BiMart.

I would also stick to a well-known common brand, so you will have some sell/trade value when the time comes. If you buy something weird you will be stuck with it forever. And you won't be able to upgrade it, because nobody supports aftermarket for weird/unusual guns.

Budget around $500.

I noticed you stated "first guns" which I interpret as plural. First, there are places that allow you to rent and experience firearms so you can get a feel for what will work for you. These places usually provide training as well. Training is as important and which gun...z... New or used is not as important as condition and quality of the firearm. Practice and more practice. 18" pump action shotgun (12 or 20) and a good pistol. This is soooo subjective. Remember....lethal force is a quagmire. Best of luck and welcome to NWFA!

If I by some lack of reasoning bought a POS gun is that a crime
Nope. It's only a crime if you don't follow the law and handle a transfer through an FFL or acquire it through theft or other illegal means. Zero crime in owning a firearm that others might view with disdain.

What we do encourage you to do is ensure you legally acquire your firearm because following the law is important.

Just buy a Hi-Point 9mm and a "box of bullets". Forget about practice or training; just shove it in your sock drawer and forget about it. It will act as a magic talisman to ward off all evil and protect your home.

Kidding of course, but it's amazing how many people seem to think that. I fully agree with everyone here recommending practice and training. There's a heavy responsibility that comes with owning a gun. Learning how to use it safely is at the top of the list.

Nope. It's only a crime if you don't follow the law and handle a transfer through an FFL or acquire it through theft or other illegal means. Zero crime in owning a firearm that others might view with disdain.

What we do encourage you to do is ensure you legally acquire your firearm because following the law is important
I want to be safe when I'm handling a firearm. If I'm not being safe I'm not having fun and I want to be having fun

There's something else I though of so I'll ad to my post above. The first gun I purchased for myself was a Ruger SR9c.

I was is your position. I wasn't really looking for a carry gun though. I got pretty lucky with that choice because that was pretty good beginners gun. Not too big and not too small. A great grip for man hands and easy to control in 9mm. It was decently accurate too, and would be a decent carry gun being that it's a mid size gun.

I'd buy new because if you absolutely do not like it, you can most likely exchange for another. Uses guns at some pawn shops have a no return policy and they don't make sure they work when they buy them. At least the pawn shop I went to for my first gun, that was their policy. I decided to go buy a new gun just in case. I'm the type of person who buys new stuff to have them not work, that's just my luck. Or curse.
But, I'd suggest going somewhere and testing a few IF POSSIBLE. My favorite is my Glock 21, but it's not everyone's favorite. I also like my Springfield xdm 3.8. shoot, I love all my guns. My Walther is the only one I'd give up, but it's very easy to conceal and my other ones aren't.
Do some research and find out a lot, I don't know what if recommend. Depends on your living situation. And if your in an apartment, get good at your shooting so you don't hit someone you didn't want to.
Glock 19 is great, sig p365 is great, Springfield XD is great, any gun will do. I would not buy used though just because people are untrustworthy.

Four out of my 5 Glock 9mm's were bought on the used market. By used I mean they may have had a 100 or 200 rounds or so down the tube. Many "used" guns are not really that used. My S&W J-frame was bought from a guy who bought it for is wife, she put 5 rounds through it and never shot it again, just sat in her sock drawer a couple decades until I came along. It looked brand new, now it looks used.

I would not buy a new Remington 870, but a used older 870P or Wingmaster, hell yes. I have a couple ARs and an AK I bought "used", again not really compared to what I've put them through, being multiple 1000+ rounds classes.

Last Edited:
The type of gun depends on your needs. Do you intend to carry it with you or will it be just for home defense? If carrying, you're looking for a compact pistol. If not, plenty of other options are on the table.

The type of gun is frankly irrelevant - the gun is just a tool. Your mind is the weapon that directs the usage of that tool. Mental preparedness and hands on training matter far more than what gun you buy.
  • Have you thought about having to use deadly force and what impact that will have on your life? (the act itself, and the subsequent arrest, investigation, potential jail time, trial both in court and by public opinion, affect on your family unit and circle of friends and acquaintences, etc.)
  • Are you willing to kill someone else to defend yourself or others? (not just the moral question, which may be easy or hard for you to answer depending on your belief system, but also the extreme violence involved in the physical act)
  • Are you financially able to support the cost of firearms ownership? (the gun, ammunition, training & education, range time, secure storage, cleaning, and maintenance)
  • Are you psychologically stable and emotionally responsible? (no thoughts of self harm, and able to control your temper / not physically lash out at others when in high stress interactions such as verbal conflicts and non-life-threatening physical confrontations)
  • If you live with others (parents, siblings, significant others, etc), are they aware that you are considering brining a gun into the home? You will need to store it securely when not in use, especially if you live with others. Even if you live alone, keep in mind visitors you might have and store your weapons accordingly.
  • Are you willing to invest the time, energy, and effort required to become competent in the gun's usage, handle it safely, and use it responsibly?
  • Do you use recreational drugs or consume alcohol? Usage of a gun with drugs/booze in your system will land you in hot water, so plan accordingly.
Ask yourself these questions (don't post your answers, this is just for your own purposes of self-assessment) and if you decide you still want to own a gun, awesome. Like several other members have stated, go to a range and try stuff out. The first gun you buy won't be the only gun because your needs will evolve over time, and you'll learn what works best for you as you go along.

Seek out good training from reputable instructors, and read / study as much as you can from the top experts in the field. Mindset is a major part of firearms ownership, so dive into Jeff Cooper and learn/understand how to use the Color Codes of the Combat Mindset. (
)

Look up Massad Ayoob, William Aprill, Gavin de Becker, and others who are well known firearms and/or personal security/safety experts - use their recommendations and acknowledgements of other experts to guide your self-directed education.

Finally, be suspicious of pretty much everything you see on the internet, because a lot of it is hot garbage. A high number of likes and views does not equal good content. Look at every online training & tactical recommendation through the lens of firearm safety and contrast it with knowledge you gain from researching expert opinions.

but i couldn't Load beacuse it was rusty due to old.
I'd say it was rusty due to LACK of maintenance and care. Did you not notice the rust or even attempt to clean it ? I'll take a guess and say you probably never shot it either based on this part of your post, I also bought a used gun for 280$, but i dont know How to use it?.

I have 75 + years old guns that are clean, rust free and shoot like new. I wish people would take gun ownership seriously and not just regard it as a necessity for 'self defense' out of paranoia or fear.

To the OP: No offense is intended, but some things really beg to be said beyond what you've asked about.

You've said your purpose is "home defense", so I will presume you have already made this decision; however, I will state it anyway. Consideration #1 is, are you willing to take a life to protect your own life or the life of family members? If not, that is full stop; do not buy a gun. If you buy one anyway, best case: it will just reside by the bedside for the rest of your natural life. Worst case: you will be shot by the intruder who takes it away from you.

Consideration #2: For home defense/self defense, reliability is all important; you are counting on it to go bang when & only when you need it to. That is why you do not want to buy a POS. That is why it is arguably better to buy a new gun. Not to say that new guns are guaranteed to be 100% reliable, but a new gun is more likely to work properly than any used gun you buy without a careful, knowledgeable examination. If you shop used guns anyway, you risk buying one with serious problems that might fail at the critical time you really need it to go bang. If you are not knowledgeable enough to recognize a serious problem, then take along a knowledgeable friend.

The Home Defense environment is consideration #3, and must influence the type of firearm you select. You own responsibility for every shot you fire, and you owe it to your neighbors to make a responsible selection. Do some research into bullet/shot penetration for various firearms; there are loads of articles and eye-opening videos available on the internet.

Fact: Once you pull the trigger, any projectile you fire is beyond your control. It will keep on going until stopped by an obstacle or by gravity. Even if you hit your intended target, that projectile may or may not be stopped. Even several layers of wall board will probably not stop your projectile (.22 rim fire might be the exception, but don't count on it). Whether a "through and through" or a "miss", count on that that unguided projectile to leave your home with sufficient force to cause injury.

Apartments: Very reasonable to assume that your "miss" can injure innocents in any direction that you shoot. Think "interior range" effectiveness, but no more. Consider frangible bullets. Carefully think about the number & usual location of family members within the apartment. Consider getting heavy liability insurance if you choose a long gun more powerful than .22 rim fire.

Single family house on a city lot: Reduces the number nearby innocents outside the home, but keep your own family members in mind. Close range effectiveness is still the watchword; frangible bullets still a good idea. A shotgun may come into consideration (location of children's bedrooms should be an overriding factor in that decision).

Single family rural home: The range of choices increases as the proximity of neighbors decreases. As always keep family members in mind. Long guns do become a reasonable consideration, especially as four-legged predators may enter the equation.

In my haste to get this written coherently, I've probably skipped a few of the things that needed to be said. There are some amazingly knowledgeable folks here that will probably fill in the blanks. I apologize if I've duplicated things that others may have posted after I started typing; I've worked fast, but it still took awhile.

Last Edited:
Hi @Grilling425 Your question is quitly right:)

I also have my Blue hippo car wash store, In summer i have felt a little scared, I have said to my friend to bought a new gun for my safety and my store. I applied for a gun license and after 26 days it has issued to me.

I also bought a used gun for 280$, but i dont know How to use it?.

In evening during closing of my store ,two unknown mens in black facemask come towards me, I tried to load my gun for my safety but i couldn't Load beacuse it was rusty due to old.
So much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start!

Are you a real person?

Well why did you buy an old rusty gun?
It was a back alley deal from a guy in a trenchcoat.

There's something else I though of so I'll ad to my post above. The first gun I purchased for myself was a Ruger SR9c.

I was is your position. I wasn't really looking for a carry gun though. I got pretty lucky with that choice because that was pretty good beginners gun. Not too big and not too small. A great grip for man hands and easy to control in 9mm. It was decently accurate too, and would be a decent carry gun being that it's a mid size gun.
I bought an SR9c as a carry gun after gifting my G19 to my stepdaughter (she works for ID Parole Board). The small(ish) Ruger is ideal for carry cuz it is made slimline with a slimmer grip and frame/slide, so it conceals very well. I was, however, used to the Glock wider grip so I wound up putting a Hogue wrap on it so that it felt, and shot, the way I wanted.

That mid-sized handgun is a wonderful lil shooter. I shoot in in IDPA sometimes rather than my G34 because it's good to practice with the EDC gun. And I've found I'm more accurate and faster using it than my G34 with it's 5" barrel.

Love that SR9c, but one would have to find it used... I think Ruger stopped making them in favor of the Security-9.

BTW, mine has the optional manual safety, but I find I can't use it now that arthritis has taken my thumb mobility. I'm thankful that it has the same Glock Safe-Action Trigger system under license from Glock (yeah, yeah, I know the Glock haters will spew forth, lolz, but @Mikej seems fair). Personally, I think the Glock is good for new users as it's simpler to operate (point and shoot.... just like a revolver) and one doesn't have to worry about remembering to take the safety off during a high adrenalin crisis, and then remember to put it back on before holstering. I'm also paranoid about the safety getting inadvertantly switched off while carrying, or while rumbling around in the nightstand. I'd not hesitate to get one for my wife, who has arthritis, if she didn't have dementia.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top