JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So have we come to the conclusion he needs a Desert Eagle .50 AE and S&W 500 mag to start with, then move to something that can knock over a fly, like a BFR 475 Linebaugh and matching Ruger #1?

Seems the choice everyone comes to when buying their first. Could have saved a few pages.

I tried it a few times early in my climbing career,
I tried my hand at climbing back in the 'day'. Had some friends who were very experienced and I got some instruction from them but I decided it was nothing I wanted to pursue.

It wasn't fear that stopped me - actually I found it exciting and challenging but I felt the dedication to it would require me to eliminate many other things in my life so I passed on it.

I tried my hand at climbing back in the 'day'. Had some friends who were very experienced and I got some instruction from them but I decided it was nothing I wanted to pursue.

It wasn't fear that stopped me - actually I found it exciting and challenging but I felt the dedication to it would require me to eliminate many other things in my life so I passed on it.
It can become all-consuming. It did for me. I started in university, and after college I bummed around dirtbagging it for a while, just travelling, camping, and climbing at various places around the country. Finally got my act together and started my professional career, but I never let climbing get very far away. Went at it weekly for decades, and three major trips every year to someplace cool and exciting, or just an extended stay at a particular area that suited my fancy at the time. I dedicated myself to it to almost the exclusion of everything else, for about 20 years. Then I got married to a woman who climbed "somewhat"...

Then we got kids. That's when it started to go downhill for my climbing. But I took out a really good life insurance policy through my professional society that covered my climbing, skydiving, and scuba diving without a waiting period and no exclusions. Figured if I was gonna die doing what I loved, then I would provide for my loved ones after my death. Turns out I never needed it (obviously). I still have it in force, but I've reduced the coverage limits now since the house and all the "stuff" is paid for, the kids' expenses college are covered, and I don't really have any expenses as a single guy anymore.

Hard pass on any activity that involves a "fair chance at survival"!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
When I was 20, I loudly and proudly proclaimed that I would not survive to see 25, so my proclivities squared with my outlook.
I must have screwed up somewhere along the line, though, because here I am, 40+ years later...

Not dead yet.jpg

When I was 20, I loudly and proudly proclaimed that I would not survive to see 25, so my proclivities squared with my outlook.
I must've screwed up somewhere along the line, though, because here I am, 40+ years later and still kickin'...

View attachment 1064514
I did all kinds of risky behavior when I was 18-20, fast cars, fast women, imbibing to excess, and swore I wouldn't see 30, but all that ceased when I married a gal that had two kids and then I had one of my own.

Now I'm 69 (OK Boomer), and slowly dying.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top