JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should a concealed carrier wear a body cam?

• Yes

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Maybe, here's why.

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters
no, unless you're one of those goof balls who just likes getting into confrontations. And if you're one of those people - the camera is likely to damn you as much as it is to save you.

Was originally thinking maybe, since it'd be situationally dependent.

Thinking further, I think no.

If you are in a scenario that is escalating, get your phone out and record if you can. Having a recording going preemptively for what is a very rare occurrence leads me to believe that you'll be painted as a person intentionally looking for a fight, no matter what the video shows.

Cops wear cams because we know they have to be confrontational and we want to know how situations unfold. It follows that a private citizen wearing a cam may also attempt to be confrontational.

So, no, don't wear a body cam.

A body cam worn by an individual may run afoul of WA wiretapping law as this is a very strict 2 party consent state:
RCW 9.73.030: Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication—Consent required—Exceptions.

While there was a recent WA Supreme Court ruling (2017) allowing 1 party consent as an exception:
"conversations of an emergency nature -- or which convey threats of bodily harm -- may be recorded with the consent of one party to the conversation."

Recording prior to the "emergency nature" may preclude the entire recording.

A body cam worn by an individual may run afoul of WA wiretapping law as this is a very strict 2 party consent state:
RCW 9.73.030: Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication—Consent required—Exceptions.

While there was a recent WA Supreme Court ruling (2017) allowing 1 party consent as an exception:
"conversations of an emergency nature -- or which convey threats of bodily harm -- may be recorded with the consent of one party to the conversation."

So, then my my bike GoPro cam may be in violation? :oops:

Well, it is a camera, with sound ability, so it records my biking action and possible crazies on the street.

Surely, cell phone cameras have been violating this act with all the bystanders.

So, I can shoot you, but I can't record it?:confused:

WA has one of the strictest, if not the strictest privacy protections in the country. You could loophole it by announcing that you are recording, if you remember to. Reasonable expectation of privacy is one of the thresholds. As this is legal stuff, there is no hard answer except "it depends". Because of that, I voted that it is a bad idea, since some circumstances will be out of your control and a spotlight will be put on your actions...after the fact...with maybe months of review...by lawyers and 12 strangers. Review some of the second guessing that goes on in threads on this very forum. Do you want to be subjected to that? Sometimes your word against theirs can be an advantage.

Not unless you're doing plain clothes. Even then we would have to get our suits tailored specifically to conceal IIIA body armor. You're better off wearing a ferro concepts slickster and buying an XXL flannel. That's like saying you should carry a fire extinguisher on your person in case of a fire. The battle plan starts at avoiding confrontation and then recognizing when you shoot or don't shoot. It's easy to rest under the false security of soft armor.

Not unless you're doing plain clothes. Even then we would have to get our suits tailored specifically to conceal IIIA body armor. You're better off wearing a ferro concepts slickster and buying an XXL flannel. That's like saying you should carry a fire extinguisher on your person in case of a fire. The battle plan starts at avoiding confrontation and then recognizing when you shoot or don't shoot. It's easy to rest under the false security of soft armor.

Good tips on armor, but the thread is on body worn cameras ;)

I wear a cam while at work. Comes in handy once a year or so. I also record all my phone calls.

When some one says "you told me to me it was ok to do this " , "so and so says you make a racists sexist comment"

Comes in handy. Yeah I got audio video and pictures to prove your memory is wrong..........

I only need times few times a year. But it's better then a lawsuit

I also have a dash cam. Offices always change there tune. When you say, "well I guess I see you in court and the judge can watch the video from the dash cam for himself"

Ah come on, give me a break!

I'm getting to that age where I'm deciding wether or not I should wear underwear?

As I mentioned on another forum...

Commando is great - that free & easy feeling - until your pants split in front of your friend, his wife, your wife, and their beagle while you're trying to pull up a boat anchor :s0108: I feel most bad for my friend, because he'll always just feel inferior knowing his wife got a great view of my apples & banana :s0053::s0061: At least the beagle didn't come sniff by starfish :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews