JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one "Defense" type shotgun I still have has a bandolier hanging off it that holds 55 rounds. Gun holds 8 with 5 on the side. If I had to run with it I would sling the belt over me as its out of the way and gives me a lot of ammo for the beast if I had to move with it. With my PCC's any more though I seldom even take the shoty out of the safe any more. If I was ever in a situation where I had to defend against people in vehicles would probably be the one time I would take the shotgun with me.

For SHTF I want as much ammo attached to the shotgun as is practical, because I may not have time to grab a vest, chest rig, or bag with more ammo. I run a side-saddle on the receiver with 6, a double-sided shell holder on the stock with 8 (6 on one side, 2 on the other), and a sling with loops for 15 shells, all of which are accessible when the gun is held in either a ready or firing position. That gives me a total of 35 shells on hand the moment I grab the gun. The trade-off is a bit of extra bulk, but it works for me. On my LBE I run those pull-down pouches with 25 shells each. I haven't tried the shotgun shell cards yet, but will set up another shotgun with them and see how I like it.

I like the concept. I can probably just make some of those.

I do have side saddles on both guns I would consider putting velcro on. Still the cards would work good for holding ammo in an AR pouch. Might just do double side loops to hold 14 rds together.
A few issues with the Velcro/elastic shot shell cards is they stretch out over time and use and become worthless and must be replaced. Also, they are susceptible to failure from the elements like dirt or snow, the hard recoil of the street howitzer and you could be losing precious ammo. They are inconsistent in their placement when doing changes. If you want to take the concept to the next level check out the Aridus Q-DC. Of course you can buy a bunch of the Velcro cards for the money of an Aridus and treat them as semi-disposable.

Shot shell card. Velcro type. Can pull one off side of gun (and stock) and put a fresh one on. They also fit in AR mag pouches.

Best chest rig is a Special Operations Equipment (SOE) shotgun micro rig. Period.

As Clint Smith says,"you're most likely going to fight with what's in the gun or on it".

https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/12ga-micro-rig

<snip>

That or his COP rig if you want to bump up the round count.

I removed two of the Velcro cards and carry spare the Aridus Q-DC trays in the pouches, this way I can feed off the receiver with two spare trays or from the chest rig. Also the large pouch will perfectly fit a 25 round box of shotgun shells if not being utilized for medical as originally intended, that makes 55 spares rounds on top of what is in the gun itself. I love this setup...

1301 chest rig.jpg

Last Edited:
Considering all the factors, if I had to cart around a non-magfed shotgun (a rifle would be my first choice) and I wanted more ammo easily accessible. I'd use a dump pouch with a good top that keeps stuff from spilling out and I'd hang it about 11:30 off my belt and use a leg strap to keep it from flopping around. I'd just fill that thing with shotgun shells and call it good. You can easily fit 25 shells in a dump pouch.

Considering all the factors, if I had to cart around a non-magfed shotgun (a rifle would be my first choice) and I wanted more ammo easily accessible. I'd use a dump pouch with a good top that keeps stuff from spilling out and I'd hang it about 11:30 off my belt and use a leg strap to keep it from flopping around. I'd just fill that thing with shotgun shells and call it good. You can easily fit 25 shells in a dump pouch.
Got one of those on my belt ,too. I have it up high and don't required a leg strap or it can be made into a sub-load (personally I prefer not having anything strapped to my legs. It will hold way more than 25 rounds. My biggest issue with that method is the inconsistency of location/orientation of the rounds which is a major reason I like the Q-DC, same exact place every time.
https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/spent-magazine-pouch-dump-pouch

Here is a picture of it on the right under my Glock...

IMG_2127.jpg

Last Edited:
Got one of those on my belt ,too. I have it up high and don't required a leg strap or it can be made into a sub-load (personally I prefer not having anything strapped to my legs. It will hold way more than 25 rounds. My biggest issue with that method is the inconsistency of location/orientation of the rounds which is a major reason I like the Q-DC, same exact place every time.
https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/spent-magazine-pouch-dump-pouch

Here is a picture of it on the right under my Glock...

View attachment 1321082
I get that. For me, since upon initial grasp I can determine orientation of the shell and respond accordingly. I would be prioritizing simplicity and consistency of location on the body rather than having the shells all oriented a particular way. I wonder if a person practiced, if there would be any significant difference in effectiveness loading from the different suggestions in this thread.

I have a 5+1 mossberg 500 with a rifled bore. #4 buck in the tube. Side saddle has 4 00 buck and 2 slugs. I have a 5rd card of 00 buck and a 5rd card of slugs. I also have a pouch that holds 24 shells (but functionally 20) and can be molle mounted, it currently has 8 slugs and 12 rds of 00.

Edit: brain fart, standard bore, rifled slugs.

20221209_110508.jpg 20221209_110457.jpg 20221209_110453.jpg

Last Edited:
For HD I probably won't have time to put a bullet proof vest on, a belt rig or anything else. A shotgun with a side saddle, 50 round bandolier, and set of gun mufflers.

For HD I probably won't have time to put a bullet proof vest on, a belt rig or anything else. A shotgun with a side saddle, 50 round bandolier, and set of gun mufflers.
You need three of them, one around the waist and two criss-crossed the chest so you can be like a Mexican bandito.

Le4A7iYLEQqIxdid1lsNzGuSseiTqz1YzUU513vT4&usqp=CAU.jpg

BTW, the OSOE Micro Rig was originally conceived by Sherman House to be a bandolier style bag.

Can't speak for everyone else but the reason I keep a bandolier on my house shoty is not the idea of grab it for someone is pounding on the door. It's more in case thing around me start to go south like roaming rioters and such. The gun has 8 in the tube and 5 on the side so that would be fine for the normal some scum decided to come in while I was home. Shoty is a safe queen now anyway as I would go for a PCC first. Shoty would be brought out if I had to deal with roaming scum in vehicles.

If wanted something set up for specifically shot-shell carrying, I'd put multiple dump pouches with bungee closures on a carrier and just dump a box of shells into each one and zip them up. Simplifies the process a whole lot and removed the need to reach to different locations for each shell (unless you exhaust that pouch), plus, if not in use they could be folded out of the way.

If the goal was to carry them without a plate carrier, than a bandolier, or even a pouch that hangs off the belt seems the way to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top