JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually spent several years working in Paradise, CA and the people I know that were affected by the Camp Fire were caught flat footed.

While making a plan for SHTF it may be of use to plan by time frame.

Example:

#1. I am alone. What do I have?

#2 I am in my vehicle and can't get home. What do I have?

#3. I am at my home and have 5 minutes to leave. What do I have?

#4. I am at my home at have 30 minutes to leave. What do I bring?

#5. I am at my home and have an hour. What do I bring?

#6. I am at my home and have 24 hours. What do I bring?

If you have a list and a plan for each of these scenarios you may have a fighting chance.

YOU think like I think.

Cate

Most people carry BASIC emergency supplies in their pick up truck, suv, van or car.

So IT is always there and IF you do have to leave - the basic gear is already in your vehicle.

My late husband and I did this year round.

I did this when I still drove out here too.

My MT husband has emergency supplies and EXTRA water that he rotates in his pick up truck and in his car too. So he does what I did for all of those years.

Cate

I have a tentative agreement with my kids. When I retire I will buy some land further out into the coast range (probably staying on this side of it) and put a shop with small living quarters on it. It will be located and situated such that it is secluded.

When they can, they will sell their house and build a house on the property. Besides being energy efficient and trying to be self-sufficient, it will be built to be earthquake and fire resistant. Earth bermed, concrete, designed to be secure.

We will bug in. Our main concern will be to get home when we aren't home if something happens while away from home.

One issue brought up is timing and age, as more mature folks having just 30 minutes to prepare... One way to overcome this potential issue is to prepack and prestage, using whatever medium you'll carry in.

Example, at one point I used a Pelican floatable case that housed a primary carry, 8-12 loaded magazines, 2 boxes of ammo, holster, knife, Para cord, flashlight and replacement batteries

Now, I prefer a backpack, staged with said loaded magazines and replacement ammo as well as other necessary items. That stays packed, on the shelf, until needed. Agree with rotating out perishables, but it should always be ready to go.

Bug out situations call for the use of common calibers and common platforms, ensuring things like magazines and parts not to mention additional ammo may be available from other sources, including those who didn't quite make it.

Just one mans early morning view, without sufficient caffeine!

Meh
With my rotten knees if I can't drive out, I'm going to just hang out at home.
If I really have to limp out theN I'll take my PMR 30 with 5 mags and a couple boxes of ammo. A couple space blankets, water, FD food and small stove and pot kit. Trying to keep it all under 15 lbs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top