JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have often thought about getting a setup, it might just finally be the time. watched a cr*p ton of videos and reviews about plates and carriers but one thing I've never heard discussed is the color pattern or camo pattern. it would be easy if it was used for "contractor work" or something overseas. Quite a bit of stuff I have is camo and it looks conspicuos as all hell, but lately I've been thinking more about going "subdued" or tactical casual. is there a rhythm or reason to it or am i just WAY over thinking it?
I guess my main points are if I were to have to bug in or bug out. which would be better over all. I guess I'm thinking if you actually have to use it every small choice could have significant impacts. especially on an item like this.

TIA for everyone input.
FYI I'm looking at the RTS complete system probably sans side plates, in ceramic or maybe even UHMWPE

Top of the head ideas.
Gray is grey.
sentrylasercut_grey_front.jpg

I'm gonna see your gear, and probably every 4th or 5th person will too. Not everyone else tho, and a small percentage of the population wouldn't notice you carrying a flamethrower on the sidewalk

Depends on what type of environment you are trying to hide/blend in. Flat colors would work in an urban environment and Multicam variants for the woods. If you are wearing them in public for no reason, you're likely gonna get noticed anyways versus during a panic. If it's a covert PC and it's under clothes, I don't think it will matter. UHMWPE if you are worried about pistol calibers and ceramic if you are worried about rifle.

I run multiple carriers for different needs. In my line of work it's needed. In your position I would say most common bugout is gray or black. You'd be surprised how oblivious majority of the world is now a days especially when they always have heads down in a phone screen.

Gray isn't "inconspicious" :rolleyes: yeah its subdued but... gear is still noticeable.

My suggestions from best to decent to use with camo pouches or clothing;

Ranger Green

Olive Drab/Green< there are several different shades available that would make one (hint....) gearmaker annoyed. So far, the most consistent is "Camo Green 483/CG483" which often gets called "OD/OG" by companies.

Coyote Brown<-- USMC color, works good. Is basically clay mud color.

Nutria Brown (closely related to Coyote Brown, is a SADF term)

Tan 499 or Coyote Tan<--excellent general purpose color, works well with M81 Woodland, designed for Multicam/OCP, and works awesome with majority of hunting camos

MAS Grey, related to Ranger Green but less green, more brownish gray.

Wolf Grey <-- probably the closest to Foliage Green/UCP color... not the best. A bit blueish.

Worst colors...

Black. Too noticable, even in urban situations... unless you're going full goth/emo/Antifa with black hoodies and cargo pants :rolleyes:

Navy Blue <-- police colors usually. May be OK in just urban, but gets attention again, because of the association with police uniforms.

Any boutique patterns like Aloha, Ahegao (no seriously, look it up 🤣 ) ; bright colors, America Flag colors, Blaze Orange

If your likely to be in "urban" environs, camo-patterns (any pattern) and black will stick out like a sore thumb (except at night).

Go with a gray, OD green, Coyote

In suburban, rural, and "forested" environs black will STILL stick out like a sore thumb (except at night).

Go with a camo-pattern (pick one), OD green, or Coyote.

Bottom line, IMHO leave solid black to the LEO agencies for which they were intended, unless you want that look on purpose.

Last Edited:
You have to be more mission specific in your reason.
If shtf remember a black carrier becomes camo wth a couple cans of spray paint.
The black also gets broken up when wearing camis underneath and weaving natural foliage through the molle.

I went OD green on all my gear, blends well enough in the forest, and not quite as "I'm here to party" as camo patterns.
all depends on what you are using it for.

I have an A-TACS AU color for my back pack and have pants an a shirt and a cap for it as well. I don't carry it that often expect possible in a SHTF scenario, I just carry a regular The North Face backpack instead. I have had this backpack for a long time and it take it pretty much every where I go. Probably not the best choice outside of the Cascades areas. I got all of the items on sale and I suppose it is better than nothing.

http://store.tactical-performance.com/category/atacs-au.html

I also have a rain parka that is a darker forest green instead:

http://store.tactical-performance.com/category/atacs-fg.html

They make Hawaiian shirts in 80x. what was the qu
ok I'm sold! ;) lol pineapple camo here I come!
sounds like its FDE then, I think they only offer multi, black and FDE. FDE also has the advantage over black or darker colors as being cooler in the sun (I'm pretty sure, certainly over black) and that is a major impact for me at least.

I'll have to re-watch some UHMWPE videos I thought they were really good multi hit for rifle. but expensive.
if buggin most likely I'd wear it for a period either in or out of a vehicle, if out of vehicle then it would be with a bag on so only the front would show and after while off or ditched. just not practical to hump forever, not for me at least.

thanks for the advice, things look to be shaping up to get pretty damn hairy. hopefully someone or something happens to put a pin in it. but Im not banking on it. kinda glad i waited though this tech has come miles here recently performance wise.

I have a mix of OD, FDE and MultiCam. I make a point to stay away from black, I'll leave that to the coppers.
and those true pigs we wont even mention. you can reference a reply or two above that correspond to those "A"holes!
yes thats truly the last group i want to affiliate with. you can look for me on the opposing barricades returning fire in that case. happily!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top