JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm pondering a project lightweight hunting rifle. I'm looking for opinions/info on the the best chambering in a couple scenarios.

A little additional info: I do not anticipate ever having this rifle in a situation where I would take a shot on an elk or deer beyond 200 yards. It will probably only have open sights, but I may put a low power scope on it, maybe up to 4-5x at the high end. Also, I hunt for good meat, not a trophy room. It's just my wife and me, so I'm more likely to take a smaller, hopefully tastier animal over a trophy-racked monster.

I want a short action rifle so I can minimize length and weight, but am open to considering a long action if it will be the better choice. The limiting issue is going to be barrel length and muzzle velocity. I'd like to get the barrel trimmed down to about 16.25" but would go up to 18 as a maximum. The base rifle is gonna be a stainless BLR, so that limits my cartridge choices to what they offer, which is a good selection.

Cartridges I'm currently considering: .308, .300wsm, .450 marlin, .30-06, .300 win mag, 7mm-08, .358 win, 7mm mag.

I don't think I need a magnum for my situation. I think it'll give me a bunch of unneeded recoil, muzzle blast, and unburned powder, but am pretty unfamiliar with magnums in general.

I'm leaning toward .308 and .450 marlin, but want some thoughts and feedback.

So, what round would you recommend out of a 16 inch? 18?

Thanks in advance.

With the short barrel length...
I'd suggest staying away from the .30-06 / .300 Win Mag / and 7mm Mag...as you won't be able to take full advantage of what they have to offer ...
( While of course these cartridges can be used in a 16.25-18 inch barrel , they do their best work in a 22 inch plus barrel )

I would go with the .308 , .358 WIn. and .450 Marlin with the choice of action and barrel length.
Andy

With the short barrel length...
I'd suggest staying away from the .30-06 / .300 Win Mag / and 7mm Mag...as you won't be able to take full advantage of what they have to offer ...
( While of course these cartridges can be used in a 16.25-18 inch barrel , they do their best work in a 22 inch plus barrel )

I would go with the .308 , .358 WIn. and .450 Marlin with the choice of action and barrel length.
Andy

Yeah, this. The magnums won't allow for full powder burn. You'll just have a loud gun with big flash and little performance advantage.

Here's my $.02 on the 308 vs 450 Marlin. The 450 Marlin is a belted 45-70 with a little more juice, similar to a "Ruger No. 1" 45-70 load. Big hunk of lead going fairly slow. Kind if like a 12ga slug. As a matter of fact, my 400gr load is only 30gr shy of 1oz, the regular shotgun slug weight. To get an ounce of lead to 2000 fps, you have to deal with substantial recoil, more so than a 12ga slug. Trajectories at 200 yards will take a little thought. With 100 yard zero, you're looking at 10 inches of drop at 200.

Or, get a 308 and load it with a 180gr bullet and deal with less than 1/2 the recoil and be able to zero at 200 with a shallow enough trajectory to aim dead on out to that range and not give it a second thought.

If I won the lottery, I'd get a bighorn .460 lever action. I've been leaning hard toward the .308 and think that's what I'll go with. The flatter trajectory and ease of finding ammo/components makes it pretty much a lock. I really like the idea of a .358 win, .338 fed, and 450 marlin, but it's just hard to beat the ol .308 as an all around cartridge that you never need to worry about not being able to find in stock. Thanks for all the input.

If I won the lottery, I'd get a bighorn .460 lever action. I've been leaning hard toward the .308 and think that's what I'll go with. The flatter trajectory and ease of finding ammo/components makes it pretty much a lock. I really like the idea of a .358 win, .338 fed, and 450 marlin, but it's just hard to beat the ol .308 as an all around cartridge that you never need to worry about not being able to find in stock. Thanks for all the input.

Sounds like you got a good plan. Not to muddy up the water, but I once had a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 Mauser. Instead of a scope, I added an NECG aperture sight (clamps right onto the scope base) and used the factory front sight. FUN to hunt with and real short despite the 22 inch barrel, since there is no action really to speak of. They make it in all sorts of calibers. There is a current special run in 35 Whelen right now.

Sounds like you got a good plan. Not to muddy up the water, but I once had a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 Mauser. Instead of a scope, I added an NECG aperture sight (clamps right onto the scope base) and used the factory front sight. FUN to hunt with and real short despite the 22 inch barrel, since there is no action really to speak of. They make it in all sorts of calibers. There is a current special run in 35 Whelen right now.

I've had an infatuation with the No. 1 since I first saw one. The main reasons I probably won't go that route is I want a stainless finish. I could get a bolt gun a lot cheaper than the BLR or No. 1, but a lever is ambidextrous and my goal this off season is to train a lot more shooting left handed.

I'd be considering a .308 strongly. You name a manufacturer, they have a rifle chambered for it, often with short barrels, even set up specifically as a brush gun. From there, you can pretty well hand pick your bullet weight from any brand and, well, the trend kind of continues like that. And don't forget that if for any reason, you forgot it need to resupply ammo, you'll have a 99.9% chance of finding something on the shelf at any store in the nation. It is, in my opinion, bar none, the most versatile round one can buy

308 win would be a great choice for a short barreled bolt gun .358 win would be great for elk and bears, I would also look at a T/C encore in 45/70 with a 20" barrel it's only 38" long. I like low powered scopes and reddots for hunting.

I'd go with 45-70.
Easy to load for with minimal brass stress both shooting and resizing, giving longer case life over high pressure bottlenecks. Unarguably time proven effectiveness. There are scopes with reticles graduated for it. Very effective in my 45-70 revolver with a 10 inch barrel so should be enhanced with16 1/2 inch but yes, likely have some unburned powder depending on which powder used and your load...

For all those saying 308

20190210_162045.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor. Because everyone I talk to says there's nothing it can't do including making you breakfast after a long night of love making.

:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads