JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the OP, he states "This will be a stainless BLR" and then listed all of the options that BLRs come in.
Noted, I missed it though until reread, hence my recommendation to put it earlier in the post to clarify.

I'm not sorry I recommended 6.5CM. It's such a good round that anyone who says differently is the one who should apologize.

@OP I hope a .308 BLR fits the shoes you're trying to fill.

6.5 Creedmoor. Because everyone I talk to says there's nothing it can't do including making you breakfast after a long evening of love making.

:p
i was gonna say grendel. i know for a fact it'll drop a 180-200lb mule deer from 420yards but thats not a caliber the OP mentioned so... :);):rolleyes:

For the BLR and what you are describing as your wants and desires out of a short rifle, I seriously doubt you could go wrong with the .308. Low weight varmint style loads all the way up to heavy loads for larger game like deer, and larger with the right shot placement inside a respectable shot range.
The .308 is a very capable and versatile round with a variety of factory loads that will do anything you want it to do in that platform. If there is something that you want to try that is not offered by the many different ammunition manufacturers you could look into handloading.
A decent 4x scope would be a good optic, or maybe a low power variable with an illuminated reticle would be ideal if you were to add a scope.

alot of overthinking going on here....
people get so hung up on short and handy...a couple inches of barrel is nothing when you consider all the other gear you might carry.
I'm loving my kimber 84m rocky mountain edition in 6.5 creed.
weighs like 6 pounds and has a 21inch barrel. it's almost to light which makes it awkward to sling

I personally love my BLR in 358 Win it has flattened every deer, bear or elk I have had the opportunity of getting a shot on... will be a hammer out past 300 yards if need be as well... The 358 Win is an under-rated cartridge, esp if you reload!!

6.5 Creedmoor. Because everyone I talk to says there's nothing it can't do including making you breakfast after a long evening of love making.

:p
Hmmmm. I was wondering why I have my first love's name stored as 6.5 creed in my phone memory. Now it all makes sense.. Thanks buddy..... Now back to the OP's question. I'd pick 308 win because it works very well with a shortish barrel... Its a versatile little cartridge.

Ive had a BLR since they first hit our town in 1972. Five lever-action rounds of .308 goodness, mine will take 7.62X51 NATO rounds also. In fact Ive fired at least as many milsurp as I have commercial or handloaded .308 hunting ammo.
It's easy to mount a small scope on it, (Ive been thru three scopes and two different mounts, thru no fault of the rifle). Even with FMJ mil-surp it is violently deadly. With a small 3x or 4x scope it will shoot as far as you are likely to shoot. The 20" barrel emits a lot of flash/blast compared to a longer, say 24", and Ive often wished that a flash/blast suppressor could be mounted on it. A 24" BLR in .308 would be a trip! Good luck!

Last Edited:
My wife's rifle in the middle.
Ruger 77MKII Compact 16.5" barrel in 7mm-08. Right now it has a 2-7x33 Leupold on it. She's only shot at two critters, but they both ended up coming home with us.
I almost bought one of these for myself because it's so light and handy.
big n small.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top