JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been watching ammo prices so I can stock up in preparation for my son and I to start practicing to do some competitive shooting in steel matches. I have been seeing the Federal Champion 9mm 115gr FMJ (which I like to shoot) available cheaper in aluminum cases. Anyone have any experience with it? Any disadvantages to shooting aluminum cased ammo?

I have been watching ammo prices so I can stock up in preparation for my son and I to start practicing to do some competitive shooting in steel matches. I have been seeing the Federal Champion 9mm 115gr FMJ (which I like to shoot) available cheaper in aluminum cases. Anyone have any experience with it? Any disadvantages to shooting aluminum cased ammo?

With today's deals, brass ammo is affordable. But, I have used both steel case and aluminum for IDPA matches in my Glock 34. They both worked just fine. But I kinda like the idea of the aluminum better. Maybe easier on the chamber and feed ramp???

Biggest drawback with the Alum cases are
1. Not reloadable
2. get in the way of sorting out collected brass.
3. Some indoor ranges will not let you use as they don't want to sort it out.

Some firearms will not like the Alum rounds as they can be a bit like the steel cases. At least Alum cases are a bit more forgiving over the steel. Brass is still better in that it is a soft metal that conforms quickly to your chamber upon firing. Alum is generally OK in that regard as well.
And as BBass said whent he price point is so close there is no real advantage

S&B has been on sale for $8/box. Aluminum was $7.60 - that's a good price but not much diff. I don't have a prob with alum, I reload but I have plenty of brass already so that is not a factor for me. But if I can get brass for $0.40 more..............

Never ran into a prob at the range, but then I live in liberty land and our range doesn't scrounge brass, throw it in a barrel, sort, and resell. We pick our own if we want it. Sometimes it's nice to just let it lay and not worry about straining my poor back to pick it up. BTW I know there are ranges that won't let you pick your own brass... WTF

S&B has been on sale for $8/box. Aluminum was $7.60 - that's a good price but not much diff. I don't have a prob with alum, I reload but I have plenty of brass already so that is not a factor for me. But if I can get brass for $0.40 more..............

Never ran into a prob at the range, but then I live in liberty land and our range doesn't scrounge brass, throw it in a barrel, sort, and resell. We pick our own if we want it. Sometimes it's nice to just let it lay and not worry about straining my poor back to pick it up. BTW I know there are ranges that won't let you pick your own brass... WTF
That is just wrong. You bought and paid for it and you own it. I wonder what they would say if you used a brass catcher, would they make you dig them out and give it to them? :confused:

That is just wrong. You bought and paid for it and you own it. I wonder what they would say if you used a brass catcher, would they make you dig them out and give it to them? :confused:

IDK, the only place I ever went that had those rules was the Clark County Shooting Complex in N. Las Vegas. They were a bunch of range Nazis that even made me take a safety class before I could shoot. But I was there shooting with my oldest brother. As a guest. I won't go there again cuz that whole atmosphere just ticked me off. Very tight control of the shooting line. Don't touch that firearm before they say or they throw you out!! Don't draw and fire. Don't rapid fire. Don't, don't, don't. Not a positive attitude nor a welcoming place. Beautiful facility, but just don't.

They believe they own the brass once it hits their dirt. They won't let you pick it, supposedly for "safety" reasons. But I did notice used brass for sale. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have been shooting anywhere from 500 to 1000rds per month of 9mm. Target Sports has a "Prime" membership - it's $90 a year and knocks 8% off the price of ammo.

Looking at my receipts, I've paid 8.73 for American Eagle, 8.27 for Blazer, 8.27 for Winchester White Box, 7.81 for PMC Bronze.

They currently have Blazer for 8.73 (after membership), which is a savings of ~0.75/box (round it how you want). Note that, at this rate, you'd have to buy 120 boxes, or 6,000 rounds, to have saved $90 and broken even on the membership at that price. Once you've shot that 6k, you start to save some money compared to full retail.

Every once in awhile, there is an ammo sale somewhere that beats TargetSports. But, in general, I've found their membership pricing to be the cheapest ammo, and I've definitely shot enough to make it worth it. If you'll be shooting that much and not reloading your own, I'd consider it.

I have been shooting anywhere from 500 to 1000rds per month of 9mm. Target Sports has a "Prime" membership - it's $90 a year and knocks 8% off the price of ammo.

Looking at my receipts, I've paid 8.73 for American Eagle, 8.27 for Blazer, 8.27 for Winchester White Box, 7.81 for PMC Bronze.

They currently have Blazer for 8.73 (after membership), which is a savings of ~0.75/box (round it how you want). Note that, at this rate, you'd have to buy 120 boxes, or 6,000 rounds, to have saved $90 and broken even on the membership at that price. Once you've shot that 6k, you start to save some money compared to full retail.

Every once in awhile, there is an ammo sale somewhere that beats TargetSports. But, in general, I've found their membership pricing to be the cheapest ammo, and I've definitely shot enough to make it worth it. If you'll be shooting that much and not reloading your own, I'd consider it.
Don't forget the free shipping. Any amount of boxes, not just cases, you get free shipping. It's nice to try a variety of ammo without paying extra shipping for smaller orders.

Federal HST occasionally goes on sale for half off. This comes to just under $19 per box of 50rd if you have a membership because of the free shipping and 8% off.

what I don't like about alum. cases are the outdoor shooting areas. It never gets picked up. steel case stuff rusts away, & the brass cases always get picked up, but the aluminum just seems to lay around.

I always do the brass. After the first few runs of ammo over the years I find that the ammo sells out before the components do, so I started to reload. When you can reuse the brass multiple times, its a money saver. Yes, you are using your own time while reloading and it does take time, but if its a hobby is it really "work?"

I like to reload, so brass (and nickel) for me. Aluminum cased ammo savings aren't enough for me to choose it over reloadable brass.

One thing I have noticed with alum is it jams the bubblegum out of my HK's the cases always seem to get stuck in the barrel, now that said my Sig p226 will cycle anything like its going out of style .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top