JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
try this out with your favorite 22LR handgun and any of 1/2 dozen mfg sources.....use paper targets marked for specific brand, and use heavy bench rest support for your handguns, at any distance from about 10'~75' or so. Get back to us with your observations.

Maybe dissemble and clean it maybe there is some factory gook in there that was burned off after a few round.
I know that not everyone takes their NEW firearms apart but sometimes oils and stuff can gook up works.

I understand velocities are going to be all over the place. But I wondered if it maybe had something to do with the burn rate of the powder. The firearm was cleaned and lubed before the range trip and immediately after. I also didn't clean it between ammo types.

I know really I should bench rest it. I also know I should also have someone else shoot it. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not upset or anything. And it certainly could be me, I just found it curious and wondered if anyone else had come across stuff like this before.

At 7-15 distance the FPS of 124gr vs 115gr doesn't REALLY matter that much for poi.

My first try running some 9mm reloads a few weeks ago, borrowed the range tach just to see what mine were doing vs 115gr & 124gr new manufactured.

Mine are lead powder coated RN, and I was comparing to FMJ. My leads were 100ish fps slower than 124gr FMJ, which were 100-150ish slower than 115gr FMJ. POI was just about the same for all, except out to 30yards mine were a little low. Have since corrected by a few grains of powder & POA = POI at 30.

I have become convinced 'most' of the variance at short handgun distances are related to my own personal jiggyness.

However, even with premium 22LR ammo, from supported bench rest, at 20-50, I will unaccountably encounter groups moving several inches one way or another, even with changing the pistol to another.

Some of my 22s simply are not satisfied with what one of the others reallyREALLY likes. It is perplexing.

Several times a year I will carefully paper-target & photograph my results, using ammo from 1000fps to 1280 or so. In reality perhaps the only true measure is "minute of oposom" though.:eek:

At 7-15 distance the FPS of 124gr vs 115gr doesn't REALLY matter that much for poi.

My first try running some 9mm reloads a few weeks ago, borrowed the range tach just to see what mine were doing vs 115gr & 124gr new manufactured.

Mine are lead powder coated RN, and I was comparing to FMJ. My leads were 100ish fps slower than 124gr FMJ, which were 100-150ish slower than 115gr FMJ. POI was just about the same for all, except out to 30yards mine were a little low. Have since corrected by a few grains of powder & POA = POI at 30.
I've never really seen a whole lot of variation in POI in the 9mm even with shooting quite light loads with light bullets up to heavy loads with heavy bullets.. and everything in between.
The most variation I regularly see is with like a magnum.. like the .357.. the lighter and or hotter loads will hit lower and the heavier bullets hit higher.. bullet dwell time in the gun. I'm sure barrel axis height plays into this.. with the revolver usually having a much higher pivot point/axis.
It's often many inches even at close range (like 10 yards).. often enough to have to modify the sight to regulate POI for one's chosen load.. it's either that, use a different load, or hold off.

One thing I noticed when I was developing a 10mm load was that as the velocity of the round increased, the impact point of the shots got lower on the target. Basically I had a string of 5 shot groups creeping slowly down the target.

elsie

In general, heavier bullets shoot higher than lighter bullets (in the same gun). They literally stay in the barrel longer. That's why the front sight on a .45 Colt is very tall and the front sight on a .22 is much shorter, on the same gun. I am surprised at how much difference you saw, though.

If you want an education, load the heaviest bullets possible, but load them to a slow velocity.

Then load some of the lightest available bullets at top charge/velocity.

I think you'll see a very profound difference as to where they impact the target.

along with the exercise by DizzyJ posted above, load enough to do some 'group testing' at a couple different distances convenient to your regular practice sessions.....

Last summer I did a lot of load development with 10mm handgun, using lead/plated/jacketed in 3 different weights with 6 different powders.

Was striving to find 'best bowling pin load' for that particular pistol.
Got some decent groups from most recipes, yet the location of those groups varied considerably even given the short distance to target and the supported bench rest position.

Went back out today with Tulammo 115 FMJ, Blazer 124 FMJ, and Sig 124 JHP. The Tulammo shot low same as before. The Blazer was pretty much POA. The Sig shot a little low. The Sig is apparently fairly high velocity though. It seems the sights are set up for a slower round. Anyway, interesting little experience.

I finally got out to shoot the other day...
124gr definitely shot more accurately than 115gr Blazer Brass FMJ 9mm Luger. Used my P226 Mk25. 115gr shot low consistently, and 124gr was on the money. I guess I'll start buying that.
Seems like you've gotten better answers than that tho. Just thought I'd follow up.

Just completed a project using 4 9mm pistols & 6 different ammos.....3 factory & 3 hand reloads.

Most surprising was the overall sparkling performance of an aging P35, which placed 'best groups' in 3 of the ammos, while a new P320RX took the other 3 best groups.

Surprisingly spotty performance with Sig 229, and disappointing G34 groups.

I shot my CZ P09 and Sig 226 at 20 yards off a rest and they both shot tighter groups with 115 vs 124. Only around a 2" difference in group size. The 124 grain was plenty accurate for defense. But when shooting for accuracy I grab the 115. This was Blazer Brass ammo.

And ya. Grab a good .22 scoped rifle. Switch brands of ammo while shooting 30-50 yards and watch your groups change. ALWAYS zero with what you hunt with. It's much harder to tell shooting unsupported with a pistol.

"This was Blazer Brass ammo." despite various cat calls from shooter buddies, I've had 'good enough' accuracy from what seems to be an econo brand.

Oddly, my G34 provides only 'combat accuracy' from the bench on 115 while getting it's best 'almost group' from 124 Blazer Brass.

I'm thinking at 25 FOOT bench rested distance, 'combat accuracy' is "minute of peach" while "almost group" is "minute of peach pit".

Yeah, well the P-08 out shot everything, and everyone knows it only feeds 124gr. Had a couple fliers, but even did better than the high standard.
It just turned 100 this year. ;)

"the P-08 out shot everything, and everyone knows it only feeds 124gr"
I had high hopes of actually getting some trigger time with one a few decades back. A buddy paid high $$$ for a nice clean example. Sadly it didn't like anything we brought to feed it. I didn't get a whole magazine down range thru it the whole afternoon.

That's weird... they are super picky tho. Pretty sure you have to reload to satisfy their hunger. They need 124gr and slightly more truncated rounds, looking sligtly more blunt at the base than your standard "Luger" round. It takes a keen eye and the right round present to notice the difference. They're really only accurate for half a mag when fired quickly. I'd still rather have a High Power if I needed it to work.

They do like HV ammo, but we did fine with standard.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top