JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not look forward to losing my McNabb also named Jake but there are a lot of good dogs out there and I know that they like my Jake will have the best I can provide. They will not replace Jake they will be thier own character and part of the fun is seeing that character.

I do not look forward to losing my McNabb also named Jake but there are a lot of good dogs out there and I know that they like my Jake will have the best I can provide. They will not replace Jake they will be thier own character and part of the fun is seeing that character.

Part of the reason for my reaction to his loss is the obvious, grief. Another is, that at 72 I have entered the realm of time consideration that has to do with the dog outliving me and it is a sad thing to see. (a Movie about this - Hatchi, A Dog's Tail) They don't understand that sudden separation and can interpret it as abandonment. There is also the fact that when my wife retires we will be traveling more. Lastly, while I don't regret a dollar spent, Jake's ailments in his last 3 to 4 years, mainly arthritic back and joint issues became an expensive reality of treatments and medications to keep him moving and as comfortable as possible. They ran about $350 to $400 a month.

14th-1.jpg

The way it should be. Happy ending to a bullship situation.
That is why there are leash laws.
Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

Leash laws were created to protect livestock. That said, I have nearly shot dogs on two separate occasions at dog parks, have kicked several in the head and offered to the same to clueless owners if they insisted on continuing down their course of action.

I wonder how shooting someone that shot your dog would look in front of a judge. I felt the perp was dangerous and after he shot my dog I was scared he was going to open up on me. I was in fear of losing my life based on his violent behavior.

Maybe the best thing is to take precautions that preclude the need to shoot others dogs. Just a thought.

I wonder how shooting someone that shot your dog would look in front of a judge. I felt the perp was dangerous and after he shot my dog I was scared he was going to open up on me. I was in fear of losing my life based on his violent behavior.

Maybe the best thing is to take precautions that preclude the need to shoot others dogs. Just a thought.

I may have missed a post, but I don't think anyone is advocating shooting a dog simply because it makes you nervous. My example was in reference to a large dog, out of control of its owner, charging and attacking my friend's dog that was being walked on a leash. If an aggressive and vicious dog is ripping into your beloved dog that has done nothing to provoke the attack, what would be your solution? Based on the posts I've read the vast majority of contributors are avid dog lovers. Killing any dog is not high on my "Want To Do List." And while I think irresponsible dog owners should be the ones paying the price for what their dogs do, I'm not advocating shooting the owners, even though some may deserve it. I have similar rage for people who let their dogs run wild out of their yards and when they get hit by a car, carry no responsibility for putting a driver through the emotional pain of hurting or killing a dog. The bottom line is if you are going to own a dog, take full responsibility for it and make very sure it is not a problem for anyone else.

I agree with you on taking ownership and care of ones companions. I hate seeing dogs in the bed of a pickup truck going down the road - one of my pet peeves. So I bought a crew cab.
I live out in the country in Columbia county - we have a lot of obstacles - elk, deer, and livestock. The livestock not ours occasionally get out of the fences. That's not counting pedestrians. You would almost think that with the possibility of hurting someone or something that drivers might actually obey the road signs. I cant tell you how many people dont pay attention to the speed limits. Maybe just maybe those drivers might want to slow down so that when something unexpected is encountered both parties can continue on with thier day.

This is probably a good idea. Maybe even pistol whip the dog in the head 1st. I really would hate to have to shoot anyone's pet but I really care for my dog and the thought of her being killed in front of me just isn't acceptable. She's very passive and innocent...strictly a lover. If a dog wanted to kill her I would have no choice but to kill it even if it meant losing my right to own a gun forever. But I agree, if there was time to try something else it must be done 1st. I usually carry a pocket knife so I guess I could slit its throat or a jaw muscle first

*not talking about a regular dog fight...I'm referring to an attack by a dog that wants blood. My dog doesn't fight...

my dog:
View attachment 190320

VS. a dog like this for instance...

View attachment 190321

I love golden retrievers. Grew up with them. One word of caution, discharging your weapon, even if it is in the ground, could land you in some serious hot water. I'd try every means possible to pull the attacking dog off of yours first before you pull out your weapon. Pulling your gun should always be your last resort. I say this and would personally do this if I were in your shoes, even though I was attacked by a big pit bull when I was a teenager. The problem with a nuisance pit that wants to kill its victim is it will lock it's jaw and they are dang near impossible to break free, unless that jaw is broken or otherwise put out of commission. So do you break a dogs jaw or pull your weapon? How much do you like jail?

A lineman and you used and umbrella? Seems about 2ft of some big wire would do the trick.
I probably would have used ground wire and tied the dog to a pole.

We were working in Auburn years ago and a Pit rushed the welder.He jumped to the back of the flat bed and broke the dog's tail with a shovel.It was retreating real fast when he picked up the shovel.

And that right there is why you don't screw with a welder, boys...:D

I use to ride my bike when I was a kid past an old farmers house to get to my freinds place. This old farmer had a large black lab that kept trying to get a hold of me as I rode past. That dog had bad intent. So one day i got tired of that dog and decided to fix the problem. My dad caught me going out the driveway with a machete we used for clearing brush. My dad called old man Graham up and he came down and talked to my dad. It was agreed on the next day we would go riding by and he would see what happened. My dad did not want my little brother to go with us bigger kids but he snookered his way in. We went by and that big black lab got a hold of of my younger brother and bit him in the bubblegum. Old man Grahamb did everything he could including taking my brother in to get stitches. Larry even got a little lab puppy out of the deal. That black lab lived at the end of a chain the rest of its life. I think maybe that machete would have been a kinder end.

I live extra-rural (on a forested mountain) and neighbors let their dogs run loose for the most part, I get along with all the dogs, but they have caused other people and other dogs problems. But there have been problems where the dogs get into fights with each other - so two neighbors have taken to only letting their dogs out on a leash. The other neighbors have not, but as far as I know those particular dogs have not caused problems - it is just one that has and now does not because now it is kept on a leash and another dog (same owner) has now gone away with a member of the family who moved.

I also noticed that in this neighborhood more problems seemed to be caused by two dogs ganging up on another dog.

That is pack behavior and can be expected.
A tied dog will bite because they can't get away, so keep your hands off even if you know the dog.
If you own it that's different. However in a fight your dog may not take time to see what he's biting so watch out for that.
The situation with the Lab and 2 bulls could have really turned out badly if that Lab had turned on the girl. I'd hate to guess who would have been held liable. I would suggest taking one dog at a time if I was handling a dog with as bad reputation as a pit Bull or Pit Bull lookalike. No matter how well trained. People hear daily almost, about mauling and attacks by Pit bulls and that is as bad as the hate mail gun owners receive. You are tried and convicted by public opinion. I personally would protect my dog from attack especially if more than one dog attacked it but only if I could do so without endangering anyone else. I got the impression from what I was reading in the Oregon statutes that you might be forced to reimburse the owner of the dog you killed
BTW way back when I carried Mace spray as a LEO, I got treed on top of my patrol car by a dog I "maced" all it did was P.I.O. you put the words with the initials.
It finally ran off but I made the top of that car in one bound.
I can just imagine explaining to my anti gun C.O.P. why I shot a dog inside the city limits, I'd have been out of a job PDQ.
Now it seems that is no longer the case. My how times change! :eek:o_O
Gabby

Who's angry? That's funny.

My best friend had a dairy farm. One of his bulls got on up to about three years old and started to not want to come in the barn from the pasture. You would have to chase him in with a tractor. Once he got in the barn he was a pussy cat, you could sit on his back if you wanted to.
He had younger teen age kids working there and they brought the cows in at milking time.
One day one of the kids didn't show up so he went out to let the cows in and the bull hung back so he jumped on the International 424 tractor to chase the bull in. That tractor has a bad carburatorn the float stuck open so the gas would just leak out through the carburator. You had to shut the petcock on the gas line off when done useing it and open it back up when you wanted to use it again.
Well he didn't turn the petcock open when he started the tractor. All was going great until.the little bit of gasin the carburator got used up and the tractor stalled
That bull stopped in it's tracks, turned around and started to beller, snort and suck in a lot of air. It started to charge after him. As soon as the tractor stalled he imediatly turnd the gas supply on and hit the key.
That bull came to a complete stop when that tractor started.
Right after the chores were done he called up the cattle hauler and had him pick up that bull to take to the auction house.
If that was a kid that day he probably would of got scared, choke up.and would of got hurt or killed.
I guess my friend should of took anger management classes and give up farming because he sent that bull to it's death sentence.

I don't think he was angry, I think he was being practical. Look up how many farmers are killed by dairy bulls the worst are the cute little Jersey, but even a Holstein can get you. Once they no longer respect you it's time to get rid of them.

One of the guys mentioned grabbing the dog and throwing it on its back and yelling at it.
That is being the alpha dog in its pack I've done the same thing and if you are rough about doing it immediately it will work, but you have to do it right then or they won't know what you are mad about. Same with a dog that P's on the floor get him quick or wait for another time!
Gabby

Anyone stepping between two dogs fighting better plan on being bit. You have become part of the fight. A dog can bite three times in one second at full force. Once the aggressive dog starts it will take a big stick to get his attention.

The local neighborhood dog who was causing problems has gotten somewhat grey and older, and has been injured a few times. A neighborhood adult kid who visits his parents to use their shop now has a much younger shorthair retriever of some sort that is very healthy and not timid at all. Well dog owner of grey/older was walking his dog and stopped to visit - the two dogs were getting along - sort of. Then younger dog attacks older dog - maybe being defensive of its territory.

Dogs do have a pack order and they are often working that out, and it can escalate quickly without notice.

The local neighborhood dog who was causing problems has gotten somewhat grey and older, and has been injured a few times. A neighborhood adult kid who visits his parents to use their shop now has a much younger shorthair retriever of some sort that is very healthy and not timid at all. Well dog owner of grey/older was walking his dog and stopped to visit - the two dogs were getting along - sort of. Then younger dog attacks older dog - maybe being defensive of its territory.

Dogs do have a pack order and they are often working that out, and it can escalate quickly without notice.

I think you mean pecking order, same as with chickens. Each has to establish who is the Alpha Chicken, Wolf, or Dog. It even applies to herd animals such as horses. Someone has to be the boss! :eek:
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads