JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't see the point in collecting "collectors edition"... takes the fun out of it all.
Never know what something will eventually be worth. You'll also never get a good story.

I am reminded because my dad had a cobra he sold or traded back when (colt detective in 38 special, right?). Didn't fit in with the collection and he needed the money for something cooler. I think he wishes he was selling it today tho. It's crazy how a simple carry/shooter can be so sought after and expensive.
I hear they're bringing snake series back tho, so I'll probably get him another cobra just for giggles.

PS: just saw the cobra they released... I'll pass. He'd be happier with a Ruger 10/22 and 110rnd mag loaded with amo.

Last Edited:
I like shooting guns. All of my guns I shoot. I own several WWI and WWII
military rifles I shoot. Take proper care of them they will be a family heirloom.
Since the late 70s I have bought and sold guns. A lot of handguns.
I would want something new or different as my interests in firearms change.
But I look back and see that gun I use to own would be so valuable today.:eek::eek:

I have friends that have guns everywhere I their house. Their safes are full and they put them in closets and such.
One friend said he just counted his guns and had 110? I believe
I told him he missed a closet or two. Lol
Anyway he would alway ask how I could sell all those guns I just bought and I would ask him how he could have all those guns he doesn't shoot.
I lived in RVs for years. I was in a trailer in Sequim. I was looking at the safe one day and had to laugh cause I had more money in knives and guns that the trailer I had. Hey it was a cool old Silver Streak but I got it for a grand. So yeah my knives almost made up that much:eek:
Now I have a bare minimum of guns,but I don't feel the need to go buy a bunch. I have plenty to hunt with and they will do fine to defend me. I surely don't want collectors. I have bought a few high ,well medium guns (1k$or more),but the only one I have kept is my Benelli SBE II. The rest I start to figure how many other "shooters" I can buy,lol.
I traded a newer high wall browning for 4 handguns at the centrailia show one time.
I don't mind having sold or traded any guns. Pythons,Troupers,Detective specials,a variety of S&W wheel guns,high powers and plenty others.
Only safe queens I have are 3 guns of my dad's.
If I don't feel right shooting it or leaning it against a tree it don't stay around.
Knives are a completely different story. They can just be cool to just sit on the shelf. I only have about 75? or so but I can always fall in love with a knife at a show or a garage sale;).
I have a few that get used and abused (during hunting season) and the rest just sit there lookin pretty

One collector that was handed down to me from my great great grandfather. The rest are shooters and always will be. If the right gun comes along and I have the cash I will buy it. If someone wants to pay me for it and I don't need it then I sell it. Pretty simple really. :)

I have never purchased a firearm as a collector. But some of my firearms have turned into collector's, simply because they are not made anymore, or not made as well. One example is an early Kimber Custom Classic. While I won't own a newer one, I will not part with mine. An early model 70 Winchester is another one. And others and they all get shot .

I have never understood how someone could purchase a firearm and not shoot it. Unless it was a special collector. I can't hardly wait to shoot a new one. I have to make sure it works, inspect craftsmanship, do accuracy testing, and see if it has met my expectations or is it a letdown. I wouldn't purchase one I didn't think I really need, or would enjoy. And yes most are for enjoyment. Some of my hi capacity pistols and ARs I purchased because of a ban threat and ended up really liking them. My AR accuracy build kicked my bolt .223 out of the safe. Sometimes they decide who stays simply by how well they preform. :)

One collector/safe queen.
Dad's Remington 60 in .22/.22short/.22long

All others have been shot, although some get more work than others.

I run a SKS Enthusiast group online and a similar question comes up.
Keep the SKS pure, or Mod the bageesus out of it.

The SKS is super prime example of a gun beat to death rode hard and often thought as a budget firearm I can use until it breaks and then toss and buy a new one. If you look at the SKS and now the lack of imports this once clunky worthless commie-block rifle is now collected because parts and original all matching are getting MORE rare each day. A 10rd fixed mags just 10 years ago were a 10-15 item now going for 45 and up. The rifles themselves have gone up over 40% in just about ten years where prior they stayed about the same. Import bans made then scarce, and being modded to death have started a collectors corner on these to be kept original. We have about 1500 members and Id say about 90% are purist .

Relevance was just because a gun seems unworthy as a safe queen doesn't mean it wont some day earn a spot.
I have a early I 60's SKS Yugo in perfect mint condition #'s I wont sell not cause its priceless , because its special and getting harder to find every day and when you do prices are going up. I have one for sale here at NWFA for $460.00
which once was unheard of and now it around what they go for. the one I have is different comes with ammo etc so is worth the asking but its an example of how a 199.00 firearm ten years ago cant fetch 40%-50% more in a decade.

I am a horder I think. I seldom sell anything, may trade a part here and there but only parted with two firearms in the last 2 years.

I also bought a mint condition Remington 740 made in 02/1955 its spotless worth a ton nope, but finding one in good condition with perfect rails made just two months in with the new model and low serials make it a possible safe queen some day.

AR's I doubt will ever have true collector value they vary greatly are often DIY and and are shot, shot and shot some more.

PEW PEW PEW!!

Often modern Commemorative pieces don't tend to carry too much of a premium look at the limited production Winchester model 94 commemoratives like the lawman. To many people hold onto them meaning if you don't have it 100% pristine with all its original stuff your value goes down. I look at my firearms as tools and use them as such. Now if I came into a Colt Snakegun NIB that wouldn't leave the safe due to the inherent value. So generally I buy guns to be used but there could be exceptions usually on guns that already have a significant value as a collectors item.
I have an anniversary edition 10/22. :D Guess how many bricks it's had through it so far? ;)

I am a collector but not of collectibles. I do have what I call safe queens but they do get shot but more once every couple years not weekly or monthly. I do not have a problem with folks who buy them for their value/rarity, artistic appearance or any other reason and just put them away it's just not me I am a shooter and I shoot them.

I have an old Colt pocket pistol 32acp, my dad's 1898 Marlin 20 gauge and a Remington Model 30 22lr NRA target rifle and yes all old but not in tip top shape in fact they are well used but to me they are special and I keep them in as good a shape as I can but I do shoot them to remember fun times from the past.

But when I say I am a collector but not of collectibles what I mean is I collect ARs. I build them, buy them and abuse them. They range in barrel length from 7, 10.5, 11, 14.5,16 and 20 inch and they all have been shot, tested, sited in and then thrown in the safe for future use.

I know they will never be worth what I have in some of them at least not in my life time (I guess that depends on elections) but to me they are just fun jig saw puzzles and I just like to build them.

I also know that I do not need the 24 I have and the 4 more in process as I cannot shoot more than 2 at a time (yet) but it make me happy and while I have the means to be able to do it I will continue to as that can always change.

So my view is do what makes you happy as we only walk the earth for a short span so if you want to collect and never shoot, buy collectables and play with them or just own one and never look at it as long as you do not shirk your responsibilities by not paying your bills or providing for your family to do it then go for it.

Last Edited:
As stated before I have a couple of guns that are family heirlooms. They don't get shot MUCH, but I have fired the 1911 and the shotgun more than once. The rest of what I own gets shot as often as I can afford it! :D

As stated before I have a couple of guns that are family heirlooms. They don't get shot MUCH, but...

I was thinking along those lines this evening. The two that I do shoot on rare occasion always amaze me in their mechanical simplicity and function every time I take them out. Doesn't hurt that they are pretty accurate, too.

I've gone through lots of guns, finding the right caliber, etc.

Don't have any collectible guns, but that might change if I could afford some of the interesting old pieces I've seen. For now, the few guns I have all fill a niche, and all get used.

But I do understand the appeal of something that's just too pretty, or too unique, to use.

I'm the same way Howard, If it isn't getting used, it gets a new home where it will.

I had a Beautiful 300H+H Pre 64 Model 70 that I shot Alaskan game with, Loved it and took a lot of game with it, THEN, I recut the checkering and tru oiled the thing till it looked like glass, well, I sold it then without ever shooting it again, pretty guns are not me and the offer made on it got it a new home, hanging on the wall of a Bank President next to a 44"Dahl sheep 1/4 turn left shoulder mount that was also One I shot with the rifle.

Last Edited:
Never been much of a collector of guns or knives. [Gibson guitars are another matter entirely!] Everything I have purchased has been to use. Never could save enough money to buy that gold inlaid .44 mag I discovered back in Idaho when woolly mammoths still grazed the tundra. Sure was a heart breaker though. I admire the folks who can afford to buy a firearm and keep it in a safe untouched by human hands except with cotton gloves. Don't get me wrong. I have my own versions of "safe queens" except that they have been loved to death over the years and retain the scars of all that loving. Firearms yes. There is an old 30-30 and a .357 who both show the years of loving use. I have a very old Buck knife I took overseas in the military way back in the late '60s. Brought me home safely and I still carry it in my back pack. Wish I had my first 1911 back. What a pistol it was! It was an @$$ saver. Seems like almost every ding on my stuff tells a story. Life saver, big buck, outdoor fun away from cities they are all memories made by my own "safe queens". Here's hoisting a pint to everyone's treasured collections, shiny or not! To the Safe Queens!
Safe Queens/Case Queens... they are tools to be used...a little zipper rash on an original 59' black beauty just adds character. :s0022:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews