Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping a handgun

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by jgeist, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jgeist

jgeist Oregon Active Member

A friend of mine that lives in Oregon and is working a short term project in Idaho. He would like me to send him his handgun that I have been storing for him. Does anyone know the legal in's and out's and the best way to do this without breaking any laws?

2. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

FedEx overnight to a FFL.

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

To an FFL that will receive from a private party.Or have your local FFL do it.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Too bad your buddy did not pack up HIS gun for shipping to HIMSELF prior to leaving. It is legal to ship your own firearms to yourself......

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Redcap, usagi, jgeist and 2 others like this.
  5. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012 DPR Portland Well-Known Member

It should go without saying that there's a wink and a nudge in that message.

jgeist and WasrNwarpaint like this.
  6. jgeist

jgeist Oregon Active Member

Thanks guys, the advice is greatly appreciated... :):rolleyes: