JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellas.
I come humbly to seek information on the easiest way to ship a firearm via UPS back to a manf. for warranty service.

Admittedly, Ive actually never had to do this (ship a firearm myself). I received the warranty return label via email from the manufacturer.. however I have some questions and seek guidance and UPS was zero help on the phone. Gave general answers but no good details.. I also had a hard time understanding her and decided Id just ask folks who have actually done this on the forum instead.

I read and was told of a "customer service center" being the only locstions that can accept/receive a firearm and ship it off.
Im located in Hillsboro, I drove to what was labeled a "customer service center" out off West Union howeverthe fences and guard gates (unmanned when I rolled up) didnt really give me many options to speak with someone or see if I could ship from that location. I assume thats just a wharehouse and they don't take packages from customers? Was I blind and didnt see where regular customers could pull in? It looked to me like a regular warehouse.

Where is the nearest area to Hillsboro I can actually walk in and ship a rifle from via UPS? Ive heard Tualatin has one but its a PITA to get to during my work week.

Will they have a larger box to house my rifle cardboard box to hide the firearm related wording (as required on their site). Ive looked for large boxes similar to the large one my rifle box came in, but I can't find any locally.. I was hoping UPS has boxes of that size that can house my factory rifle box in there in order to pad, package and ship.

Im writing this between appointments so Im a little scattered brained throughout this post, but any help getting me pointed in the right direction by folks who have actually done this thru UPS would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Sportsmans and ask them for a shipping box (no brand name on it). You should put a box in a box but at a minimum protect it with bubble wrap and styrefoam if you can. You have to take it to a UPS shipping place, not the CSC places. There are none on the Westside

6235 N Basin Ave down on Swan Island is the place you have to go to. You must tell them it is a firearm and they will deal with it from there. Make sure you put your name and info inside the box. Follow ALL of the information from the manufacturer AND all that UPS says. Go to both of those websites and read up. It works...its a pain, but them be da rules

Go to Sportsmans and ask them for a shipping box (no brand name on it). You should put a box in a box but at a minimum protect it with bubble wrap and styrefoam if you can. You have to take it to a UPS shipping place, not the CSC places. There are none on the Westside

6235 N Basin Ave down on Swan Island is the place you have to go to. You must tell them it is a firearm and they will deal with it from there. Make sure you put your name and info inside the box. Follow ALL of the information from the manufacturer AND all that UPS says. Go to both of those websites and read up. It works...its a pain, but them be da rules
Thank you. And incredible heads up about the spare boxes at sportsmans! I didnt even think to ask, Ill swing by and see if they've got one.

I really appreciate the help.

Hey fellas.
I come humbly to seek information on the easiest way to ship a firearm via UPS back to a manf. for warranty service.

Admittedly, Ive actually never had to do this (ship a firearm myself). I received the warranty return label via email from the manufacturer.. however I have some questions and seek guidance and UPS was zero help on the phone. Gave general answers but no good details.. I also had a hard time understanding her and decided Id just ask folks who have actually done this on the forum instead.

I read and was told of a "customer service center" being the only locstions that can accept/receive a firearm and ship it off.
Im located in Hillsboro, I drove to what was labeled a "customer service center" out off West Union howeverthe fences and guard gates (unmanned when I rolled up) didnt really give me many options to speak with someone or see if I could ship from that location. I assume thats just a wharehouse and they don't take packages from customers? Was I blind and didnt see where regular customers could pull in? It looked to me like a regular warehouse.

Where is the nearest area to Hillsboro I can actually walk in and ship a rifle from via UPS? Ive heard Tualatin has one but its a PITA to get to during my work week.

Will they have a larger box to house my rifle cardboard box to hide the firearm related wording (as required on their site). Ive looked for large boxes similar to the large one my rifle box came in, but I can't find any locally.. I was hoping UPS has boxes of that size that can house my factory rifle box in there in order to pad, package and ship.

Im writing this between appointments so Im a little scattered brained throughout this post, but any help getting me pointed in the right direction by folks who have actually done this thru UPS would be greatly appreciated.
I would not use UPS unless u pay for them to pack it themselves. I had a shotgun shipped by them that they dropped and shattered the stock. It was insured. It was 100% their fault. Fought with them for months and they wouldn't give even a single inch. You need to be prepared to sue them to see even a single dime. Talking to the well known and long standing dealer who received the broken gun, he said this happens every single time UPS breaks a gun. They will not pay unless sued. They deal with thousands of guns so they would know.

Don't do it!

I took the stock and scope off of my rifle when I sent it in for a recall, wrapped it very well and all went just fine. dropped it off at the ups store in Oregon city no problem. that was a few years ago

I would not use UPS unless u pay for them to pack it themselves. I had a shotgun shipped by them that they dropped and shattered the stock. It was insured. It was 100% their fault. Fought with them for months and they wouldn't give even a single inch. You need to be prepared to sue them to see even a single dime. Talking to the well known and long standing dealer who received the broken gun, he said this happens every single time UPS breaks a gun. They will not pay unless sued. They deal with thousands of guns so they would know.

Don't do it!
Dang. Sadly my return shipping label is already done for Zastava. I think Ill just pack the absolute hell out of it and make sure it can withstand some harsh tumbles.

Thank you for the additional advice!

First call the MFG and see if you can purchase shipping through them. Some offer this and it can really save you.

Next check ShipMyGun.com. You still use UPS but you usually get a much better rate.

All the shippers are a crap shoot (PUN intended). You have just as much chance of damaging/losing a gun with FedEx as you do UPS. Make sure you purchase shipping insurance. Also make sure you follow their rules and don't not declare it or claim it's "mechanical parts" or some nonsense like that. Having additional home owners insurance/gun insurance is never a bad idea either.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

I've shipped a few and have always taken them to Swan Island (Basin Ave.)

When I shipped a rifle back to Kimber I bought a cheap gun case and packed it into a cardboard box. I packed it better than they did for it's return, but it still came back home unblemished. Unrepaired, too, but that's another story!

I've shipped several rifles and handguns back to the manufacturer (on their dime, with their shipping label provided via their preferred carrier) without incident for warranty work. UPS and FedEX. Although I am nervous about it every time, I guess that have been lucky to this point.

As noted, pack it well, double boxed, and follow instructions for both the manufacturer and the carrier. The Tualatin UPS or Lake Grove FedEx depots are both fairly close for me, so it's not too bad when the need arises. I've had good service from both of them, and the only question they typically ask when you tell them you are shipping a firearm for warranty work (with a shipping label provided from the manufacturer) is to confirm it is not loaded and there is no ammo IIRC.

Been a few years and things change----but the last time I sent one in for a warranty
repair the manufacturer paid the freight and provided a shipping label. I packed
up the gun (Beretta pistol), affixed the label and according to the instructions gave
the package to the UPS driver. Usually I have to go to the UPS hub in Salem, or
take something to the local FFL and have them ship.

I recently shipped a rifle for a re-barrel job.
The gunsmith was adamant about return shipping in a hard case if I used a cardboard box from my end.

I decided to buy a decent hard case which I shipped inside the cardboard box that it came with.
Worked great and my hard case stayed pristine.

I would have to recommend shipping in a hard case even if it's a cheap $25-$30 case.
Mine was $107 +ship and I think it was by far, best in class.

You were in the right place.

The entrance is on the south end on NE Westmark Dr. You have to go through the employee parking lot and watch for the signs leading to the customer service center. It is on the south east corner of the building.

You were in the right place.

The entrance is on the south end on NE Westmark Dr. You have to go through the employee parking lot and watch for the signs leading to the customer service center. It is on the south east corner of the building.
Do you know if they accept firearms at that location bu chance?
Luckily I now have a confirmed backup "Swan Island".. it would be nice if this closer location also took them in.

The package needs to be handed off directly to UPS, either at one of their customer service counters or if using a prepaid label you can hand it directly to one of their drivers if you happen to cross paths.

A "UPS Store" will not accept a firearm. They are third party independent contractors / franchises and not actually UPS.

Declare the package as a firearm. They will simply ask you to verify the firearm is unloaded and there is no ammo in the package.

Firearms ship 2-Day air only, for better tracking and less time enroute where packages can go missing. You have a basic level of insurance with this method but it is only $100, I think. If you are paying for the shipping you might want to add more coverage.

FedEx works the same way.

I second the hard case in it's own box method. Even a very cheap hard case inside it's own shipping box is a very sturdy way to ship. Just bubble wrap the heck out of the gun before closing it up in the case.

The rest of the advise here is spot on as well.

Happy shipping!

Last Edited:
...I second the hard case in it's own box method. Even a very cheap hard case inside it's own shipping box is a very sturdy way to ship. Just bubble wrap the heck out of the gun before closing it up in the case...
I just want to add that if this method had been used when my gun was shipped it may well have been ok (this method was also mentioned by others above). In my case I had a third party ship it and it was not sent in this "bulletproof" type of packaging. The gun appeared to have been dropped onto the butt of the stock from a great height, total WAG but I would say 6' maybe? to do that much damage.

The third party stood by the damage in my case so I made out ok but it was a real eye opener that UPS "insurance" means absolutely nothing, unless perhaps in the case where UPS did the actual packaging themselves. And apparently this has been true for quite some time, it's just that most of us have not run into a case where we had to make a claim to find out that their "insurance" is basically just a way to charge you more for your uninsured package.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top