JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off, you have not been "Badgered or Trolled," period. (In my opinion.) I don't think you have badgered or trolled either. It's been a spirited debate.

I will take your word for it that you do not have an issue with Glocks. But honestly, on an internet forum like this people can only make a judgement by what you have said. You mentioned the "Ridiculous level of fandom" in context to Glocks. How could anyone, (who can only make a judgement of the situation from your words) believe that you do not think that there is in fact a "Ridiculous level of fandom" where Glocks are concerned?

You may in fact be the kind of guy who is open minded but I do not believe that your post's in this thread reflect that.

You mention "A few of the good guns Taurus makes." Perhaps implying that Taurus only makes a few good guns?

If you believe that at least a simply majority, (over 50%) of Taurus firearms do not function properly then you have an unrealistic perspective. Top of my head, at one time perhaps 10% of Taurus firearms had issues. (Which is indeed massive considering the sheer volume.) But honestly, when is a recall of any mass produced product not "massive?"

I believe that you are incorrect that Taurus does consistently terrible work. Using a company and people as a metaphor you believe that Taurus should be fired, and thus, Taurus should be put out of business.

If Taurus was in fact consistently terrible the company would not longer exist. (Although, obviously they have had their share of problems.)

Taurus will continue to exist because they offer, overall, a decent firearm at a more than fair price. There will always be a market for firearms that "Joe Average" can afford to own.

I have been around the shooting sports all of my life. There is plenty of snobbery in the shooting sports. From the 1911 and Hi-Power crowd who make fun of the tupperware guns that Glock produces, to some guys who show up to my Trap Club with $10K, (or $20K) Perazzi and Kolar shotguns,....And some "Average Joe" with a BT99 makes them look silly,....I've seen poor semi-toothless bubbas from South Carolina outshoot British snobs with $100K shotguns. I have seen a kid with a half-worn out Enfield shoot pie tin sized groups at 800 meters while snobs with $10K Accuracy International rifles could not do better.

Some of the comments in this thread highlight the opinionated closed minded willful ignorance of those involved in the shooting sports.
The part about badgering was not from this thread.

The mean failure rate for a given type of product needs to be a reasonable number, and even 10% would not be reasonable. If 1 in 10 Sony TVs didn't work, there wouldn't be any more Sony TVs.

The fact is that NO ONE in the gun industry collects any data at all, because that would be used against the gun industry. The fact that you or I can sit down and read complaint after complaint by actual Taurus owners on a Taurus fan site and many other sites is why I feel confident pointing out that it appears to be one of the worst gun companies. Not because I dislike Brazil, only like CZ or don't like the way they look.

On the contrary, Taurus keeps getting my attention for the cool things they do with revolvers. Titanium, Detective Special sized 6 shots, microframes, etc. But every time I get tempted I just read what people are saying about them, or talk to gun store employees, or just read the news. They haven't had one recall, they have had many. And they only did the recall from a class action lawsuit from the sheer number of people with inoperable and dangerous guns.

Taurus was a so-so revolver company that got a big boost when they were owned by the owner of S&W in the '60s. Then they got another big boost by buying a Beretta 92 factory complete with trained employees. But they don't seem to have a core of designers or industrial engineers who know how guns work and have designed processes that regularly come out correct.

I would love to buy an innovative or discounted Brazilian product, like the old Taurus or Rossi, or Imbel Springfields. But I'm not going to subject myself to the relatively high chance of owning a gun that doesn't work, isn't safe, tumbles bullets and can't be serviced. And I'm tired of people making it sound like this is some sort of illusion or acceptable business practice.

Spend some time here. They changed the name from "Taurus Complaints" recently:

I know Taurus had (has) a reputation for some of the worst customer service in the industry but I must say I'm rather impressed with the speed of this warranty repair; I think two weeks repair turnaround is pretty good. Anyone else have any RECENT experiences with Taurus CS, good or bad?
It's nice to hear some good news for a change. People just love bad news.

Taurus has rampant design and production quality problems across their product lines. Revolvers that lock up, autos that fire at the wrong time, accuracy all over the place.
Maybe in South America, this isn't a problem. Where they might not expect to fire hundreds of shots during the typical lifetime of a gun. It might be a matter of importance that the first few shots go off and where they are intended, though.

(Space)

In the case of the OP, a bad barrel. Which might be very hard to discern on cursory physical inspection. Which doesn't excuse that it was made wrong, just saying.

I've never owned a Taurus. Decades ago I started out buying German guns, then some Smith & Wesson firearms. Which was my standard for comparison without necessarily ever firing any particular example. The visual quality of construction and finish of Taurus products put them at a disadvantage using this yardstick. It's interesting that back in the 1970's, Taurus was owned by Bangor-Punta, the same corporate parent that owned Smith & Wesson at the time. You'd think with that connection, the two products would've been more similar. However, the issue of price point was probably why Taurus wasn't up to the same standard.

I've liked to think I'm not a snob about guns. It's just been my practice to buy the best value that I could afford. There are better guns than I've bought but I didn't feel the additional cost was worth the difference.

These days, in my personal experience, Smith & Wesson quality and customer service leave much to be desired.

ive had two warranty claims on two taurus revolvers, same problem w both - hammer locked up somehow

fantastic service. immediately took care of me and repaired both at zero cost to me and got em back to me lickity slit.

i promptly sold each upon receipt and have never bought a taurus again. warranties are nice but shouldnt be needed - especially with goddamn revolvers of all things.

garbage company knowingly selling garbage. thats why their service is so good - they are VERY practiced at repairing their own guns. those few who file a claim are well worth the 20 others each who just never even shoot their guns or if they do dont file claims when they malfunction.

I love hearing the old "I've had a Taurus revolver for 35 years and it has always worked perfectly!".
What they forget to tell you is it has "worked perfectly" holding down their socks in their sock drawer for 35 years.

^^ Yes, but do you also love hearing from those who have used the firearm extensively and have no bad news for you?
I suspect not.
I don't want people to have problems with their firearms. If you have a good Taurus that's good.

Just don't try to make a statistic out of that.

my model 85 lightweight 38 revolver broke a spring that held the cylinder lock. contacted taurus and not only did they pay the freight but the gun was back at my door in 2 weeks. and i wasnt even the original owner. would i carry it again? no,but the customer service was top notch

I wish good will upon all who have contributed to this thread. I feel confident that all involved will know some satisfaction.

Because:
If Taurus stays in business they will always be recreational fodder for some of the fellas who've posted in this thread. (My favorite was): "Life is too short to spend .22 money on a center-fire."

If Taurus goes under lots of guys will be saying "I told you so" for years.
(Tie for my favorite): 1. "Taurus firearms are obviously a terrible bet to make with your money or your life." and 2. "And just like a person who does consistently terrible work, Taurus ought to be fired."

I was the happy owner of a G3 and a TX22. Then in April 2022, I decided to get an 856 revolver for EDC. From the very first time I took it to the range it has had intermittent failure to fire issues. Sporadically, the cylinder fails to lock up causing a light primer strike near the edge of the primer. Nothing wrong with the winchester and blazer rounds I'm using and those ftf rounds always go off on the second attempt. Since the 856 has a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" I sent it in to Taurus. TWICE! Both times, the paperwork indicated they ran 12 rounds through it, noted: NPF (No Problem Found) and sent it back to me without even looking at the internals. I took it back to the range - same problem. The Taurus reps on the phone are very nice. I tried to explain that the problem is SPORADIC and INTERMITTENT - sometimes as few as 4 shots out of 100. Sometimes I can shoot 42 rounds through it with no problem, and then have 2 ftfs in the same cylinder. The second time I called after getting it back UNFIXED from Taurus, the customer service rep on the phone suggested that I make a video of myself at the range showing the gun malfunctioning. I shoot at indoor ranges that don't allow for that. Eventually I may be able to make a video to convince Taurus gunsmiths to actually disassemble the gun and check out the internals. In the meantime, since I won't bet my life on a gun with intermittent failure to fire issues, I purchased a Ruger LCR. I carry it with confidence in the knowledge that if the gun ever fails to function properly, Ruger will actually fix it. Overall, I do believe that Taurus makes a good gun, but their "Limited Lifetime Warranty" is worthless when you happen to get one that has problems. I'd love to be able to sell the 856, but I can't in good conscience sell a problem gun to someone. THE BOTTOM LINE IS: I WON'T BE SPENDING MY HARD EARNED CASH ON ANY MORE NEW TAURUS FIREARMS. Not because their guns are bad, but because their warranty service sucks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top