JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always marveled at the way that those pickle forks could turn so sharp.
They quite litterally cut through the water like a knife, YUGE turn fin and rudder, plus the vertical sides of the inner sponsons, but they are a hand full! Between trying to flip over if you get too much air under them, and rolling over if you prop walk one and then catch an edge! I'm lucky I never did any of that, but boy did I come close! ;)

So.... Did you marry the girl?
Well, I did not. We dated exclusively for several years beginning in the summer of 2010, and carried on even through my tours in AFG from 2012 to 2014. Thing was, she had been divorced for 10+/- years when we first went out, but I had just finalized mine, so I was in no big hurry to get hitched again, but she was... That makes for some difficulty in a relationship, to be sure. We still chat sometimes, like on our birthdays and holidays, but now that I'm 10 years on from my divorce (and MJ is 20 years on from hers) I fear that train has left the station. I wouldn't change the decisions I made back then, but that little filly was a real keeper, she was... :oops:

Last Edited:
They quite litterally cut through the water like a knife, YUGE turn fin and rudder, plus the vertical sides of the inner sponsons, but they are a hand full! Between trying to flip over if you get too much air under them, and rolling over if you prop walk one and then catch an edge! I'm lucky I never did any of that, but boy did I come close! ;)
Like I said, you're gonna put yer eye out! :eek:

Had a few "exploits" hitching a ride on a PBR in the Mekong Delta back in '69, but I don't think that's the kind of exploits you're looking for. :s0003:
Oh, but you are mistaken, suh! Yes, we do indeed wanna hear about exploits such as those! Do tell!

Whilst serving in the suck I had the privilege of attending MCIWS school (advanced lifeguard school for jugheads).

Fast forward a year or two and I was running swim qual for 1/7 in Okinawa and I realized that dark green Marines generally don't like the water so much..

Had a M/Fer attempt to jump off of a 30' tower and grab the rail of the tower. Terminal destination was the pool deck. I may have shat my UDT's.

Kid was surprisingly OK and I retained my rank.

Will never forget that..

Last Edited:
Whilst serving in the suck I had the privilege of attending MCIWS school (advanced lifeguard school for jugheads).

Fast forward a year or two and I was running swim qual for !/7 in Okinawa and I realized that dark green Marines generally don't like the water so much..

Had a M/Fer attempt to jump off of a 30' tower and grab the rail of the tower. Terminal destination was the pool deck. I may have shat my UDT's.

Kid was surprisingly OK and I retained my rank.

Will never forget that..
I saw a HS sophomore break her arm on the high dive when she hit it kicking out for a back flip, it broke badly...:s0039:

Short version:

6 of us hitched a ride on one to run a LRRP. Took small arms and mortar fire off and on almost the whole way in. By the time we got to debark only 3 of us were fit to run the mission and got the go ahead. Spent 5 days humping through the jungle and didn't pick up one single piece of useful Intel. Kinda felt like they sent us out there to give the enemy some target practice.

A guy comes into the office at the marina looking for the salvage diver (I ran a service on the side). Says he lost $200 worth of pole and reel over the side of his boat in about 30 feet of water and can take me to exactly the spot where it went over. OK, we load my gear in his brand new 200 hp bass boat and take off down the lake at 70 mph. About a mile out the boat suddenly makes a 90 degree left turn at said 70 mph, almost throwing us both out. Luckily, he had the kill switch lanyard attached to him and it killed the engine. Upon further review we determined that the steering cable nut at the outboard engine mount had stripped the threads and popped off because it had only been screwed on about two threads worth. Inspection revealed that the cable mounting nut was frozen on the cable, and obviously someone had simply twisted the cable as far counter-clockwise as they could (about two turns) and then screwed the nut onto the mount about two turns. The proper fix would have been to install a new steering cable, but somebody cheaped out and nearly got us killed. I later learned through the grapevine that my client took his boat back to the dealer, walked up to the service desk, and decked the service manager.

Spent a few pleasant evenings under the stars in a folding 2 man kayak in a Norwegian fiord dodging water traffic and putting a real sneak in on some Marines who were looking for us!

Spent some time doing underwater air crew rescue training out of San Diego, in the dark, no lights, and all we had was our inflatable rubber motor dingy we dropped with! That was SUCK!

Artic cold water rescue training with the Coasties in the gulf of Alaska, wearing Gumby suits and swim fins, that was COLD, no matter the suit!

Yup, life in the water baby!

My what NOT to do "on the water" story

A few years ago, I bought this great little, homemade duck hunting boat (pram, punt, whatever you call it) with a Cruise and Carry 2.7 hp engine (see pics). The boat was 8' long and ~ 60 lbs. I sat on a board with cleats on top of the gunwales with my knees around my chin. It was a great little motor, only weighed 17 lbs. dry.

First real trip out, I putt-putted down the Columbia River outside Portland in the dark to a spot that sometimes holds bluebills in late winter. I found a good spot to set up and promptly shot my limit, three bluebills then. On my slowww ride back, against the current, I neared my takeout point and decided to shut off the fuel valve to run the carb dry before beaching.

Well, turns out a 6'2", 220-pounder really shouldn't lean over the side much in an 8' "dinghy" in January. The chine went underwater and just about turned the boat 90° which stopped it promptly, heaving me over the side.

I had my life vest on, but my waders filled with water and my clothing make swimming a chore. Fortunately, the motor quit and I retrieved the boat and swam to shore. I'm glad I didn't have an audience for that one!

With a great adrenaline hit, I never got cold, even though I was soaked to the skin. Never lost my hat, somehow. I loaded up my stuff, changed into dry clothes in the truck and headed home.

Moral: The smaller the boat, the stiller you should sit. Lesson learned.
Sub-moral: Don't go looking for a Darwin Award!

Layout boat_iso 2.jpg Cruise n carry_right.jpg Hunting Columbia 18Jan14 011 (3).JPG

I got one.... While commercial salmon fishing in Alitak, Alaska, All of the Captain's knew "the rock" was exposed during low tide. Captain Larry forgot about the rock at 4 am one morning, and ran our 48 foot Salmon Seine boat up on the rock. Sitting high and dry, it took 2 boats to pull it off the rock, punched a hole through the hull, taking in water into a sealed compartment. we kept up with the water until we got back to the dock. The next 2 weeks, I repaired the hole in the boat on dry dock with less than adequate supplies, but we did fish again!

Last Edited:
Spent a few pleasant evenings under the stars in a folding 2 man kayak in a Norwegian fiord dodging water traffic and putting a real sneak in on some Marines who were looking for us!

Spent some time doing underwater air crew rescue training out of San Diego, in the dark, no lights, and all we had was our inflatable rubber motor dingy we dropped with! That was SUCK!

Artic cold water rescue training with the Coasties in the gulf of Alaska, wearing Gumby suits and swim fins, that was COLD, no matter the suit!

Yup, life in the water baby!
Ahh, silly jarheads...

We just can't keep up with the Air Farce technology!

Would like more detailed tales!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads