JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I haven't been fishing in close to a decade and am looking to get back into it. I'd like to start off just going for trout and I'm wondering what everyone uses for their setup. I will mostly be fishing streams and lakes from the bank about equally, and have pretty much settled on a size 20 or 25 spinning reel, and a light power rod, but I am torn on what length. I am looking at rods between 5'6 and 7' but can't settle on a size, because I am trying to decide between ease of use (using around trees etc.) and casting distance. For those of you who fish from the bank, what length rod do you prefer?

Using a 6.5' and 7' but have used longer.

Main line thru a weight with a bead to a swivel.

2-3' 3lb leader line with a #16 treble hook with rainbow glitter garlic powerbait seems to work just about everywhere.

Didn't get anything today though so YMMV.

1686515084634.png
This and a chunk of worm.

I don't have a boat so I exclusively fish off the bank with a 7 ft rod that breaks down into 2 pieces and easily fits in the trunk or backseat. Just replaced the ancient hand me down reel I was using for a new Shimano that casts so smooth it is easy to over shoot where I am aiming.

Sometimes I fish with a slip bobber setup, but mostly I just fish off the bottom with an 1/8th .OZ or 1/4 .OZ weight, in what I have heard called the "Carolina Method".

I use a 6' graphite ultralight rod and ultralite reel with 4-6lb test for both lake/river/stream.

In lakes I have used Roostertails slow rolled deep, and also as the season passes a clear casting bobber with 4-6' of 2lb leader and most any buggy looking fly. My homemade green chenile/brown hackle flies worked best. Slow retrieve. This fly rig works well backpacking the high lakes too. And worms on a small single hook.

In streams I used a size 0 or 1 Mepps Aglia with white blade and red stripe... killer on stream trout!!

In lakes early in the season I used a 6' Ugly Stick with a light spinning reel, 8lb test, with a sliding sinker above a swivel, a 2-4' 4-6lb leader and a treble hook baited with Power Bait in bright colors, some with glitter. With the sliding setup, fish will take the hook deep and move off with it... you watch for your line to move, a high vis mainline is useful for this. I also have a pretty solid homemade rod holder made out of sharpened rebar and a pc of pvc.

Last Edited:
I don't do a lot of fishing these days, but when I do I use a 6 foot Ugly Stick with an ultralight spinning reel. I did manage to catch the nice rainbow trout pictured below not that long ago. I wasn't sure, but @solv3nt told me it was a rainbow trout. :s0092:

Ferncarp2.jpg

I am looking at rods between 5'6 and 7' but can't settle on a size, because I am trying to decide between ease of use (using around trees etc.) and casting distance. For those of you who fish from the bank, what length rod do you prefer?
go with the 7 and learn to cast short with it, not a problem.

get yourself some yellow and silver panther martin spinners and the rod wont matter anymore.

I use a 13' tenkara rod (no reel) and kebari fly's or nymphs. OR fish seem to be adventurous eaters and if it ain't broke...... :s0155:

I'm not in a place to do it right now but I've been seriously considering even just a small row boat to get off the bank and into a little deeper water for some of the smaller lakes in the area.

If you have one you wanna get rid of hit me up lol.

What kind of trout? what kind of bait? If you are plunking powerbait or any type of bait, for stocked trout, I don't think it matters a lot. If you are going to cast spinners spoons, getting a longer rod with better action is preferred. I used my 9'6" lamiglass steelhead rod for trout a few times, the feel was amazing and fighting the fish was no problem. Casting was tougher with trees, but how far do you need to cast of the bank? My boat trout rods are now 5' cheap rods. If they get banged up or broken by a friend or wife, I'm won't shed a tear.
I like the power bait "eggs" for stocked trout, in chartreuse or pink on a single hook, 2-3' leader with a bullet weight.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top