JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been loading for my hunting rifles for about 15 years.
Recently I have decided to reload for my 9mm pistol.
I had or have purchased a sufficient amount of bullets, primers and powder to start loading. I was also able to get a new set of dies.
Anyways, last summer I went to the range and picked up about 800 +/— pieces of brass to process. After getting them cleaned I noticed a kind of serrated line running around a few of the cases. I will attach some pics of these along with cases with some minor dents and dings that I think are normal for range pick up.
My question is what causes the serrated line and are they reusable or should they go into the scrap bucket?
Thanks for any advice that you can provide.
Camo

3062626E-47B6-410D-85CC-A5241914AF93.jpeg 62A1F70B-11CF-4BDC-9980-6CDA98A8B8C4.jpeg 9679813C-8581-4555-8D29-E8DFE0FEA278.jpeg 841C17DC-A037-4D1A-AE38-37A62B3DF192.jpeg

What he said: the brass with the cannelure/crimp is fine, doesn't hurt it a bit. The dented stuff is fine to, if you can straighten them out enough to load.

Thanks guys,
It looked like the serrations were put there on purpose, just was wondering why.
There aren't very many but will toss them in with the rest and load away.
I appreciate your input.
Camo

Yep...those are Federal cases...should be fine...

You are right, the cases are indeed marked FC.
But I did sort out the headstamps and out of about 250-300 Federal's only about a dozen or so had this line. And there were mixed nickel plated cases so that I knew they were from different batches. Just thought it was curious and wanted to verify that they were safe to reload.
Thanks

I have old 9mm ammo, it that had that kind of middle case crimp claimed they were higher pressure. Guess it snugs the pill down a bit more in the case?

Once fired, and that crimp expanded, Id assume its fine. Would be interesting to see how many times it could be reloaded and if that mid crimp would allow a rupture.

I have old 9mm ammo, it that had that kind of middle case crimp claimed they were higher pressure. Guess it snugs the pill down a bit more in the case?

Once fired, and that crimp expanded, Id assume its fine. Would be interesting to see how many times it could be reloaded and if that mid crimp would allow a rupture.
That's what I was thinking too. Since this is range pick up I can't tell how many times it has been fired. I will keep an eye on the inside of the cases to make sure that the case is not thinning in that area.

You are right, the cases are indeed marked FC.
But I did sort out the headstamps and out of about 250-300 Federal's only about a dozen or so had this line. And there were mixed nickel plated cases so that I knew they were from different batches. Just thought it was curious and wanted to verify that they were safe to reload.
Thanks
I'm thinking those are newer FC because I have noticed the mid-crimp on my brass case Fed handgun ammo in 9mm and 45ap the last few years...don't recall the line prior to that rough timeframe...

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top