JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have chosen simply to no longer sell or buy private firearms. Keeping my serial numbers out of the system, and not trusting strangers who want to do a non-ffl sale. For me, the law had it's intended effect: The reduction of the number of private sales. But at least, 42 other states don't require background checks for private transactions, so I'll be moving out of the state soon. God Bless Texas.

Talking about compliance in general... how many of us drive over the speed limit everyday? technically 1MPH over is breaking the law. not buckling up until the stop sign? maybe some have crossed into washington or oregon while still concealing a handgun without proper licensing. I suppose the list could go on and on

just sayin.

i never have sold a gun but im done buying firearms for a while anyway.

Agreed. Difference is, speeding (to a certain extent) results in a fine. If they ever got to prosecuting this law, it would be a felony. I'm able to continue on my way if I get a speeding ticket. A felony puts a bit of a knot in my plans.
I don't think anyone here is advocating for the law, but a few of us are a bit more risk averse than others I guess. To each their own, and I still think the best solution is getting it repealed.

I'm not so certain our forefathers broke any laws.... they declared war and simply won. War is for when diplomacy fails and as long as we still have the right to buy what we want then diplomacy hasn't totally failed. Right now there isn't anything stopping any one of us from buying some serious hardware, registered or not.

I don't agree with the law, if I knew someone personally I wanted to buy/sell from it wouldn't matter if I complied, as long as it was a pre 941 gun I probably wouldn't comply. The problem now is we as a community don't know people well enough personally to freely exchange guns... although over time there are some on here I feel I could trust ;) In the mean time choosing to not abide by a law as a form of protest is an individual choice but it would be better to rally a public campaign against the law instead of taking on an individual risk of imprisonment.

I think one more important distinction about the founding fathers/patriots was that what they did, they hardly did in secret. They announced their displeasure publicly. They made bold speeches, in the public square, often saying things that were treasonous to even speak in the first place. These weren't people that were choosing 'not to comply' with the law of the crown, they were directly challenging the crown, publicly, knowing full well they would likely suffer punishment, up to death, for their actions.

I don't think 'not complying' can really affect any change. For non-compliance to have any impact, I believe it has to be done open, publicly, in the faces of those that have created the law and those that enforce it, and it has to be done knowing that you will likely pay the price for your actions. Without that, I don't really believe that a silent (or nearly silent) non-compliance will do anything to affect any change. Non-compliance from the shadows doesn't harm the politicians or the law, in reality all it does is confirm to them that they've forced formerly law-abiding citizens to disappear underground, hiding away from their government.

I don't think any real effective challenge to these laws will happen until some folks do some high-profile sales, and allow themselves to be arrested, charged and run through the courts, with the hope that it will spark the hearts and minds of many that would support them, and perhaps, get something big going. Maybe then, something could change. Until then, choosing not to comply, while a risk, is really only just that, a risk. I think it's doubtful a group of any size would get behind a single individual that was caught doing a private sale. I doubt (I could be wrong), it would spark a movement. And, honestly, I don't think there are enough people in this state that really care about private sales to create a big movement in this sense.

Too many gun owners in this state already don't care about private sales because they don't do them, so it doesn't impact them. We saw it in Washington too, with the passage of I-594, at the hands of the voters. You can't tell me that at least some of those yes votes didn't come from gun owners that were suckered in by the promise of less gun violence. And what did it cost them? Nothing. Many people will vote for things that don't directly impact them, and, unfortunately, the gun community itself is fractured, leaving some that care deeply about issues like SB941 or I-594 and others that only care if lead ammo is banned, or the fees on a hunting tag goes up, or if they're required to spend money to buy a safe they don't already own.

While I have nothing against those that don't comply, I don't really believe that non-compliance will do anything, but perhaps help those who choose to do it, feel like they've thumbed their noses at the man, and that's really about as far as it goes.

I'm not so certain our forefathers broke any laws.... they declared war and simply won..

Not to be picky but actually the acts of defiance and actions against the then current laws and taxes is what began the spark. If we chose not to pay taxes we would be locked up unless we fought today same with guns laws we can fight or not. Back then they chose to fight. War was only declared long after many laws were violated.

"Isnt keeping the FFL transfer a form of registration?"

It's half-assed registration, like everything else government does. ;)

"nothing wrong with following the law at all."

Well, obedience is sub-optimal, where liberty is concerned. We have homeschooling in every state in the country because parents broke the law - in the face of the most powerful interest group in each state, the teachers' unions.

"I'm not so certain our forefathers broke any laws...."

So, the Boston Tea Party was just a bit of harmless fun? Violating the navigation acts was OK with the Crown?

Maybe we should secede from Washington DC, since that is not breaking any laws.

" they were directly challenging the crown, publicly, knowing full well they would likely suffer punishment, up to death, for their actions."

They DID challenge the crown with the Declaration of Independence, but you can be sure there was a boatload of quiet lawbreaking before that point. Boston was a smuggler's haven.

"Many people will vote for things that don't directly impact them"

Most people are believers in the government religion. They think the government is legitimate.

If you are going to publicly flout a law, it's a good idea to get a lot of people involved. Safety in numbers...

Of course, that is a conspiracy!

BTW the best history of the colonial and revolutionary period can be found online here:
https://mises.org/library/conceived-liberty-2

"I asked one of the members of Parliament whether a majority of the House could legitimize murder. He said no. I asked him whether it could sanctify robbery. He thought not. But I could not make him see that if murder and robbery are intrinsically wrong, and not to be made right by the decisions of statesmen, then similarly all actions must be either right or wrong, apart from the authority of the law; and that if the right and wrong of the law are not in harmony with this intrinsic right and wrong, the law itself is criminal."
-- Herbert Spencer, "The Proper Sphere Of Government"

"The state calls its own violence 'law', but that of the individual 'crime'."
-- Max Stirner

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
-- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"'Law' is the congealed bubblegum left over after a bunch of career parasites are finished taking bribes; when they get around to the serious business of politics, which is simply forcing people to obey their whims."
-- Goffrey Transom

16th American Jurisprudence 2d, Section 177 late 2nd, section 256: "No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it. The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and the name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose, since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it."

"The law is an bubblegum, an idiot."
-- Charles Dickens

Glad to see our naughty word filter is improving on Dickens. ;)

Only one de facto, that used old laws to prosecute and yet quoted SB941 as the actionable event which it was not . It was a man who knowingly sold a firearm to a felon which was already illegal.
Hence the word knowingly. The firearm was not even transferred after Aug 9th yet Ceasefire Oregon reported it as a win for SB941 even though the even as way before it was affective so far none since August in a bill that was passed as a state emergency .:confused:
Proof the new "law" will not prevent "srtraw purchases", as the seller knew the buyer was "prohibited" and sold anyway... just like he can now. So, to quote a very much despised political figure "what difference, at this point, does it make?" The law would not have stopped that sale then, it will not stop similar ones now. Federal law, with some pretty big sharp teeth, already prohibits such sales.... on paper. Reality? Not so much

So there are many posts about people abiding by the SB941, now I am not suggesting anyone not obey laws that would be against NWFA rules.
So if someone is thinking of doing a non-FFL transfers in Oregon here are some major problems
to be considered so don't do it.

1. If a person has bought a firerarm at a FFL prior to August 9th 2015, then if that person was to sell said firearm without and FFL, and the buyer years later was approached by law enforcement and was traced back to the FLL of sale through the past seller they both could be facing legal problems.

2. Any firearm that is not sold through a FFL and the buyer so chooses to sell the firearm either to another private party or FFL will in many case also will be in legal trouble as both the previous FFL and possibly police will have the transaction record if original new sale was after Aug 9th 2015 showing whom should own it.

3. If said firearm was purchased new prior to August 9th 2015, and was later sold after that date why records would not exist if the person said the private sale was close to August 9th where they bought and then quickly sold it might be considered a straw sale. Having a firearm and selling it or buying one prior to August 9th as date of transfer are 100% legal prior. So to have had a legal transfer the date of sale must be know before Aug 9th 2015.

As time goes on the distance between sales before August 9 and After will begin to space where eventually more firearms will be bought and sold via FLL because there is no other legal option.
So it is very important for anyone to find out when the firearm was first purchased as this will be the date inquired if there is an issue.
Of course multiple transfers between family members is 100% legal regardless of purchase date.

I am in no way suggesting that people use the above legal limits to circumvent the law.
And I provided no information with instruction how one might do this, this is only a warning of what people should be aware of in the law and possible results and problem. This is not legal advice please inquire of all laws prior to any transfer.

This has been a DuneHopper community service announcement !
I'm DuneHopper and I approve this message.
:s0090:
I understand what you are saying and it all makes sense. The only thing I do not understand is how they can trace these sales if the state is not supposed to be keeping track of the sales. They are only supposed to keep a temporary record long enough to check to see if the buyer has a criminal record. At least that is what they said here in Oregon. Has that changed?

So there are many posts about people abiding by the SB941, now I am not suggesting anyone not obey laws that would be against NWFA rules.
So if someone is thinking of doing a non-FFL transfers in Oregon here are some major problems
to be considered so don't do it.

1. If a person has bought a firerarm at a FFL prior to August 9th 2015, then if that person was to sell said firearm without and FFL, and the buyer years later was approached by law enforcement and was traced back to the FLL of sale through the past seller they both could be facing legal problems.

2. Any firearm that is not sold through a FFL and the buyer so chooses to sell the firearm either to another private party or FFL will in many case also will be in legal trouble as both the previous FFL and possibly police will have the transaction record if original new sale was after Aug 9th 2015 showing whom should own it.

3. If said firearm was purchased new prior to August 9th 2015, and was later sold after that date why records would not exist if the person said the private sale was close to August 9th where they bought and then quickly sold it might be considered a straw sale. Having a firearm and selling it or buying one prior to August 9th as date of transfer are 100% legal prior. So to have had a legal transfer the date of sale must be know before Aug 9th 2015.

As time goes on the distance between sales before August 9 and After will begin to space where eventually more firearms will be bought and sold via FLL because there is no other legal option.
So it is very important for anyone to find out when the firearm was first purchased as this will be the date inquired if there is an issue.
Of course multiple transfers between family members is 100% legal regardless of purchase date.

I am in no way suggesting that people use the above legal limits to circumvent the law.
And I provided no information with instruction how one might do this, this is only a warning of what people should be aware of in the law and possible results and problem. This is not legal advice please inquire of all laws prior to any transfer.

This has been a DuneHopper community service announcement !
I'm DuneHopper and I approve this message.
:s0090:
there are quite a number of ways a firearm, purchased by Joe legally with BGC/NICS can legaly not be in his possession some time later. It could have been stolen and not reported. It could have been sold, in or out of state, on GunBroker or similar... the direct trace within Oregon is then lost. It could be sold to a dealer who does not do a BGC on his purchases, then resold by that dealer later. The direct line from George to FFL to Newowner does not exist. IF the gun gets traced, BATF lears from Maker which Distributor got it, then to which FFL it was wholesaled. THAT FFL could have transferred it to a second FFL, (no BGC) or sold it at retail BGC. to George. George decides to pawn it, does not redeem, pawnshop sells to second shop, maybe at retail on GunBroker, which triggers new BGC to Pete, new owner in Idaho. Pete eventually moves to Oregon, gun is stolen, he has no record of serial number but reports. gun is fund three years later at crime scene... try and trace THAT... all the long jumps..... it is not as thuogh Oregon's desired complete registry truly exists despite their wanting it to.. the whole basis for this law. They WANT to have a searchable database of who has what guns, and what guns are owned by whom. MAYBE in fifty years..... but I doubt it even then.
Now, when it comes to buying/selling older guns....the game gets hopeless for the state. I can legally nuy long guns out of state, with FFL BGC..... which does not create a record of my ownership in Oregon. So THEY have no clue I own it. If I sell it on GUnbroker five years on, it might go to New Mexico... through FFL... new owner gets stupid, BATF traces.... Charlie's Gun Store in Missoula has the record I bought it... and there it dead ends. Particularly if I moved and changed address since I bought it in Missoula....

and ALL of this screams proof the new laws in both OR and WA are stupid and useless, not to mention unconstitutional.

What if some clown says he purchased it before the ban, and what if said clown resides in another state and had originally purchased it from that state and crosses over state lines and sells it to you.
Now what if you need to use that out of state gun in a defensive shooting.
Who's gonna take the fall?
Simple... if the defensive shooting is "clean" copers have no cause to be running all manner of traces, etc. Its MY gun, does not turn up stolen, I elect not to discuss how or from whom I acquired the gun, or when. IF they want to make a federal case out of it, let them. They will have to come up with someone who can bear first hand testimony that THEY sold it to ME, and that the sale took place IN OREGON, AFTER the bill took effect. How likely is that? If the shoot is "clean" they're not going to waste the manpower to invent a case for some petty issue like that. If the shoot is NOT "clean" why am I talking to anyone but my lawyer, and WHY did I retain possession of the gun anyway? Lets get real.....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top