JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think my 2nd job days are nearing an end. What started out as volunteering to keep guns flowing during the M114 crisis and morphed into a 2nd job has been wearing me down, big time. I thought cutting my hours back would alleviate my feelings of burnout but it hasn't. I would like my weekends back. I don't feel like working 18hr Fridays any longer. I want to get more sleep.

It's my fault but the 2nd job makes it easy for me to spend more money than I am taking home from the job. Getting hit with 22% fed income tax rate on the 2nd job income has added insult to injury.

The highlights of the job have been meeting lots of NWFA members and introducing many new people to the forum.

If I bail on the 2nd job, I will miss the discounted transfer fees but the Feds are pretty much ruining the buying experience for me anyhow.

I really enjoy the gun part of the business but not the other parts. The other parts are often depressing to me.

They need somebody who likes the entire business and doesn't come in after working 8hrs elsewhere already.

Well, @arakboss , you've been running at full throttle for quite a while. No doubt you're getting burned out.
Quitting the 2nd job will add measurably to your free time, but if you don't have a handle on your purchases, you'll go broke!

I say quit, and go shooting with some of that free time you will have.

Good luck to you.

I understand. I'm also not enjoying working 6 days a week and the busy season hasn't even started. I make pretty good money, which just like you, turns into buying guns but dang having a weekend regularly would be awful nice. Started going to bed later and later trying to squeeze out just a little more "life" before I have to get up and do it again. I'm going on less than 6 hrs/day now as opposed to greater than 8 before my "promotion" and I'm feeling my social life slip away only to be replaced with even more work. It'll get better when the weather improves, I think.

It is much easier to realign your priorities than it is to straighten out your overworked brain, and since you're writing about it here it's is most definitely you time.

I understand. I'm also not enjoying working 6 days a week and the busy season hasn't even started. I make pretty good money, which just like you, turns into buying guns but dang having a weekend regularly would be awful nice. Started going to bed later and later trying to squeeze out just a little more "life" before I have to get up and do it again. I'm going on less than 6 hrs/day now as opposed to greater than 8 before my "promotion" and I'm feeling my social life slip away only to be replaced with even more work. It'll get better when the weather improves, I think.
I started working for myself a little over a year ago. Too many 6 and 7 day weeks. I got two days off a couple of weekends ago and this last Sunday. I'm finally starting to get some money in the bank and a handle on the schedule. Hopefully this summer will not be as hectic as last summer.
I got dirt bikes to ride, cars to race and guns to shoot!

For just over 2yrs I have been volunteering my Saturdays to drive 3hrs round trip, work behind a counter at an FFL, and spend the rest of the day with a chainsaw and other equipment working some land...

It takes a toll but I enjoy it and it's my relaxing work.

Now I'm not needed as much behind the counter so I'll be transferring my time to help friends with property work even more...

However these long days are by choice, work I enjoy, can choose to not do if I need a break, but also so serve as days to decompress...

When it turns into a job, it may be fun to start, but it can lose its appeal and become tiring, when it hits that point, it's not really worth it...

I've spent days chopping and stacking wood. I hated it as a kid and wouldn't like it as a consistent thing, but an occasional day of work like that is good for the brain.

You've got to take care of you, if you don't who will? I've made lots of money working long hours with no days off and hated it, I've also just barely got by and saw there was no future in it. It took me a while to figure out a steady paycheck with benefits was a good thing. Good luck with whatever you decide and be sure to allow yourself me time doing what you enjoy. That is what you will look back on later in life and smile about.

It takes a toll. I have been working two jobs for two years. I'm trying to set myself up with a retirement gig and just cannot get the second job to work with me yet. I want to retire from the main job this year. I'm doing 16 hour days five days a week. The wife is not happy about me never being home but the money has been handy.

First off I would like to thank you for your efforts for thwarting that abomination 114. :s0005:
If you're not happy working a second job you cannot be happy with yourself. Family time is one thing you will never get back and will weigh heavily on your mind when sitting in an empty nest.
More money is nice to have but if it causes strife in your life it's not worth it in the end.
Good luck in life brother.

First off I would like to thank you for your efforts for thwarting that abomination 114. :s0005:
If you're not happy working a second job you cannot be happy with yourself. Family time is one thing you will never get back and will weigh heavily on your mind when sitting in an empty nest.
More money is nice to have but if it causes strife in your life it's not worth it in the end.
Good luck in life brother.
I should have added sleep to the list of things you will never get back. I've lost a lot of sleep over the years.

It takes a toll. I have been working two jobs for two years. I'm trying to set myself up with a retirement gig and just cannot get the second job to work with me yet. I want to retire from the main job this year. I'm doing 16 hour days five days a week. The wife is not happy about me never being home but the money has been handy.
16hrs a day, 5 days a week is rough. My hat's off to you.

When I was a young ambitious man, just starting out in my telephone career, I would work as long as they let me.
Then I hit the road chasing that green rainbow and to get a small slice of it I had to work 12 to 14 hours a day 6-7 days a week.
The $$$ was rolling in but I was away from home for 4-6 months at a time. :(

You may want to hit the reset button and relax or else you may wind up like sleepy joe with an aneurysm and a melon that has been out in the sun too long. Look for a new gig that has nuthin to do with firearms. Have a snickers and be thankful that you realized all this gun stuff is going down the way of the democratic party. Get out now. Enjoy the weather. Get a bicycle. Good times!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews