JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, was thinking about selling a pistol I really don't need or want. S&W M&P40c 1.0. Basically like new. But, there's a catch...

I bought a S&W M&P40c with night sights a couple of years ago NIB for a great price. Then, I decided I wanted a manual safety, so I bought another one NIB with a manual safety and regular sights a few months later.

I decided I wanted both night sights and a safety on one gun, so I swapped slides and frames and my new carry gun was the frame with the safety with the slide with night sights. The other pistol now has a regular frame and regular sights and just sits and collects dust while I occasionally carry the other pistol. In fact, I carried it today while riding my UTV in the woods. It also has an upgraded APX sear and some polishing done to create a very nice 4 lb trigger.

Only the frame is serialized, so I would be selling the original frame with the proper serial number in the original box, only the box would say it came with night sights.

I don't think there would be an issue as long as I advertised that the pistol I'm selling does not have night sights, despite what the box says.

Just want to make sure that everything is legal and/or ethical before thinking about selling it.

So long as you disclose the situation to a prospective buyer as you've laid it out above, I don't see a problem. Once they have this knowledge, it's up to the buyer to decide if what you've got, regardless of configuration, is what they want.

These guns are contemporary as well as relatively numerous. It's hard to imagine that this parts swap would ever generate an issue of originality vis-a-vis value. Probably not in your lifetime, anyway.

If you are telling the buyer what you just told us here how could the buyer not know what they were getting? As far as "legal", as long as you follow the laws of the state you are in on selling a hand gun the "law" could care less how many parts where swapped around and such.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews