JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi, I'm considering buying my first 22. Priority is robust ammo handling (hear so much about 22 misfeeds/FTE!), and good target accuracy. I am impressed by reports of Ruger Mark IV ease of takedown, and am strongly considering it. I would love to hear any advice on which Mark IV to consider, and any considerations or recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance!
I have the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with the Volquartsen trigger upgrade. I highly recommend ANY Mark IV, but the 22/45 fits my hand and the controls are familiar as my 1911s. The Lite has a Picatinny rail for the mini reflex optic that these old eyes need.

BTW, if I was to do a Volquartsen trigger on another Ruger, i'd let the factory do the job. The install is doable, but not easy.

Last Edited:
Thank you Washagonian and Reno, great perspectives!

I realized that the Mark IV has two grip angle types - their standard (more angled) and the 22/45 (mimics the 1911). I'm used to Sig classic P-series pistols - which grip angle would you expect would feel more familiar?
I strongly suggest you go to your local gun store and hold both the standard and the 22/45 in your hands. Personally, though I preferred the look of the standard, the grip angle made it uncomfortable for me to properly aim and shoot. The grip of the 22/45 was FAR better for me, in that respect. Ruger Pistol.jpg
Ruger 22/45 Lite, Mark III, NRA Special Edition, Burris Fastfire 2 and Tactical Solutions Cascade-Ti.

I posted on my phone before and didn't have time to post pics, but now that I have an opportunity to, I feel I HAVE to. :D

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Factory safety upgrade performed (early recall), rail removed, Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, Stoner grip panels (green), Tandemkross "Halo" charging ring, Tandemkross "Eagle's Talon" extractor, Tandemkross "Victory" trigger, C.O.W.S. Pro Shooter holster for host and suppressor:
MarkIV_Upgraded_1.jpg

Ruger SP101 (8 shot). Hand polished by me and eBay "Jaruwan.p" wood grips made in Thailand:
SP101_22lr_Polished_1.jpg

I can't say it enough, but there are SOOO many great options. Still, a suppressed bolt action 22lr might be one of the most fun shooting experiences I've ever had.

Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr. Accepts 10/22 magazines, had a local gun smith thread the barrel, Tech-Sights MXT200 peep/post sights, "Ultimate" rubber sling:
RAR_Side_1_2021-03-18.jpg

One of my other favorite shooting experiences is a nice lever action 22 (short, long, or long rifle) like a Winchester 9422. I could keep going because I love a good 22, but the point is don't limit yourself to semi-auto pistols. For 22lr, I have more fun with rifles than anything else.

Shameless plug…

Hint hint, cough cough, check my classifieds! I may have two nice 22lr rifles that would make great first 22lrs!

I recommend a Ruger SR22. It's my mom's favorite gun and it's reliable, has a more traditional semi auto pistol look and is very fun to shoot. The price isn't too bad either.

I am REAL big on the MK's. If you buy used the only one I would avoid is the MKIII. If you want new the IV is hard to beat but, find a shop you can at least handle one first. I love both the old Luger style and the 22/45 so means nothing to me. Best to try to at least handle both first so you get what you like best. Other than that just a matter of which model. Again I like them all. :D

Very hard to go wrong with the Ruger Mark line of pistols. I prefer the IV generation but nothing wrong with the older models. Other great 22lr pistols include the S&W 617, Walther PPQ 22lr, S&W M&P 22lr, Browning Buckmark and Ruger Single Six.

If you think you might get a suppressor in the future make sure you pick something up that is threaded from the start.

You also will be feeding it more expensive ammo to truly realize the potential. CCI standard does well in mine but to bring out the best I am running SK, Lapua or Eley through it which all start at $5/a box 50 and go up quickly from there.
The truth.

$$$$ end up costing more $$$$

$ can usually do with $

Well, here's my 2 cents. I only have one semi automatic .22 pistol. It's a Ruger 22/45. Not the lite, not the hunter, but the basic blued one with zero upgrades of any kind, and it's absolutely superb. You just can't lose with any model you choose.

My sr22 works well with Tandemkross +5 mag extensions, green springs and some light milling of the feed ramp.
The most comfortable by a long shot of my firearms.

Aguila has issues but surprisingly the cheapo Federal works fine.

The new Ruger is an improvement on an already great target gun. Similarly, the Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory is an improvement on the already very accurate and reliable 22A. It uses the same action that feeds so many different brands of ammo in the 22A and along with the fixed heavy bull barrel, results in a very accurate firearm. The mag release has been moved to the side where you can find it more easily. The new fiber optic front sight is very quick to pick up and easy to use. There is still a Picatinny rail on the top, but it offers more positions than previously. The already very good factory trigger now has an adjustable stop. The grip has removable side panels where the 22A had a very comfortable one-piece factory replacement grip available.

Takedown now requires a hex wrench, where the 22A could be done without tools but was a bit awkward until you'd done it a few times. So kind of an improvement? The Victory is easy to clean, just like its predecessor.

The only reason I don't have the Victory is that I'm still very happy with my 22A. It eats everything I feed it and is my most accurate handgun out to 35 yards.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions, good insights and encouragement. I'm landing on a 22/45, either a "Lite" or a "Tactical" - as both have a threaded barrel. I am thinking having the option for a suppressor in the future may be a good thing. That's a whole new journey unto itself, of course.

I am grateful for all your thoughts and posts!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top