JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Double checking with the brain trust.

Will MK IV mags run in a MK II or III?

ETA: What about MK I and/or MK II mags in a standard? Are the later model I's and MK II mag follower buttons both flippable to the right side?

Last Edited:
Quick google search drug this up off Ruger Forum: Mark III and IV mags both have the notch for the upper mag release. They will fit in some Mark II's but, in mine, the notch snags on the frame.

You can also swap base plates on a 22/45 mag and they will work with the Mark III & IV.

I have filed down the MK3 button magazine tab, to use in older Mk1 and Mk2 before. They worked just fine. File off the tab and touch it up with cold blue.
Sometimes original MK1 mags are hard to find. Unless you can find used ones for a decent price.

Sometimes original MK1 mags are hard to find.
Those are rough to find, but try finding original standard mags. 🤣 Those are the ones I'm most in need of and know early MK1 mags can be used.

Standard and early MK1 buttons are on the right side. Later model MK1's and 2's were the first transition to the left button, and most are flippable in about as much time as it takes to pull to button pin and put it in through the other side. However, if my understanding is correct, there is at least 1 variation that isn't and I'm not sure which is which. Late model 1's only(?)

I did notice the button sizes are larger on later models and needed to be ground down. Pretty common mod.👍

Forward compatibility is poor, but backward compatibility is usually pretty good. I'm not as familiar with the MK4 mags and how far back the compatibility goes. Even with modding.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top