JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a couple of security cameras that face out from our home and record. They, how do I put this, suck donkey rump. Oh, they are, barely, functional, but they need to go. And I'd like to add at least two security cameras at my office/workshop. I'm doing my homework on options now. I called ADT, who handles our security system, and they have a solution, albeit an expensive one compared to other options.

Can anyone recommend a camera system that:

• I appropriate for outside. We get snow, ice and cold in the winter and blistering heat in the summer (hit around 105-ish today).
  • Records to a device of some kind. Circa 2018, I'm thinking flash media is the answer.
  • Can be monitored on a PC, Mac, and/or iPhone. The latter smartphone being the most important point of interface.
  • Is wireless (for the home application) and/or wired (for the office application).
  • Isn't insanely expensive, though I would rather err on the side of a quality setup from the start rather than bargain basement.
Thanks all for any recommendations. :)

If you can live with wired there is a ton of then now. Amazon is a good place to look. At the old home I use one by Amcrest. It was just over $300 and has been great. Records to a 2 TB drive that can be upgraded if desired. Several places make the same set up now days. As long as there is Broadband at the place they will let you see them from any phone or computer. They can be used as alarms also. At the new place I bought a set of very cheap made by Yi. Not made for outdoor use but wireless and $100 for 4 of them. They are set as an alarm system and work great to protect the place while we are moving in. There are now some great systems that are all wireless. All of them allow them to be watched from a smart phone. all a matter of how much you want to spend. At my old place that Amcrest set up has been perfect. When we are done moving out of there it will be the last thing I remove and it will come with me to the new place.

I encountered a pitfall of some wireless cameras after installing one in my shop last winter. During the winter the garage rarely gets opened and never by using the remote. So... when spring arrived and I had problems with the remote not working I went thru all the normal fixes, batteries, reset code, etc. no joy. I was starting to look for a new door opener when in a fleeting flash of genius I unplugged the power supply for the camera. Great joy. I discovered the wireless camera was interfering with the garaged door opener. Who da thunk.

I ended up building my own system. I bought POE cameras. I had to run some ethernet cable but it was straight forward. I took an old server and re-purposed it to run blue iris software. I can have up to 64 cameras.

Try Netgear's Arlo. I have them at home and at the business. No complaints. They come in different power configurations from battery to wired to solar. Monitoring ranges from free to a monthly plan, no contracts. The basic plan is free and gives you 7 rolling days of cloud storage. You can set up alerts for texts and emails.
Arlo by NETGEAR: Wireless & AC-Powered Security Cameras

I've been looking at these ones but they are pretty spendy. Especially if you need to add additional cameras. Do you know what version of the Arlo you have?

I've been looking at these ones but they are pretty spendy. Especially if you need to add additional cameras. Do you know what version of the Arlo you have?
I've got several first generation. I bought rechargable batteries for those. I also have two Q's and just got a Pro with the solar panel. You're right, they are pricey. Sometimes you can find some used ones on ebay. I still want a couple more of the Q's and another Pro. One here, one there, etc. It only takes a minute to add a new cam to the arlo router. Initially I bought a Swann camera/DVR combo from Fry's. It was such a piece of shinola to set up and configure. I tossed it in the garage and got the arlo's.

I've got several first generation. I bought rechargable batteries for those. I also have two Q's and just got a Pro with the solar panel. You're right, they are pricey. Sometimes you can find some used ones on ebay. I still want a couple more of the Q's and another Pro. One here, one there, etc. It only takes a minute to add a new cam to the arlo router. Initially I bought a Swann camera/DVR combo from Fry's. It was such a piece of shinola to set up and configure. I tossed it in the garage and got the arlo's.
Sweet thanks. I've been looking at the Pro (first gen) version. Costco sometimes has packages on the three camera set and I would add a couple more cameras down the line.

Sweet thanks. I've been looking at the Pro (first gen) version. Costco sometimes has packages on the three camera set and I would add a couple more cameras down the line.
The nice thing is that you can build on to it whenever you want. It is expensive initially but buy once cry once as the say. The other nice thing is that you can access the system via PC or mobile device (even my Blackberry!). You can look at history, email video or adjust the cameras. With the Pro's you get two way audio as well. The basic Arlo is video only.

I have two indoor and one outdoor nest cameras I really like them they give me a peace of mind I can lookin on my place anytime and place that I have Internet access. They notify me if they see movement or a person. If you keep and eye out you can get them on sale for 149.00 sometime a little less I got one for 135.00 new on Amazon. I also have 4 wired uniden cameras there ok I don't have them setup for internet they just record on to a dvr unit. It cost 199.97 at Bimart. All have night vision to.

Costco has the Arlo Pro HD 3 pack on sale for $369 thru 7/19. That's $100 off. Comes with three cams and the router. Free shipping too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top