JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2nd safe and looking at locks. This one seems ideal. It has the convenience of a keypad and piece of mind of being able to open it with the dial.

I think this lock has been on the market over six years but I don't see much mention of it. SecuRam posts info on replacing other locks with this one, but I'm seeing few online vendors that sell it.

Even though Liberty uses SecuRam locks, they are not listing this model as an option in their website's build a safe process.

Why isn't this the lock that everyone wants? Have they been failing? Do local vendors offer it as an option with a new safe?

It is expensive, $325-$360. But if they are reliable I would be very willing to pay $250 or so to upgrade from a mechanical lock on a $2K safe.

securamsys.com/safelogic-xtreme

Personally, I think I would just go with a good secure mechanical lock (e.g., S&G?).

If I am going to need something, like a gun, really quick, it is not going to be in the safe. It will be externally secured (or not). My kids are adults and they don't live with me, so I am not worried about that.

I can see the appeal of an electronic lock, and I am glad that someone has worked out something of a solution, but yeah, I just don't have a use for it.

That is kind of where I am coming from. I enjoy technology but been around it enough to know that eventually something will fail.

It doesn't mean I can't have fun with it.

I have an electronic lock on my first gun safe and it still works. But given the cost of a new safe is double what I paid for the gun safe originally, I like that manual combination option as well. I will call the safe manufacture and see if that electronic/combo will fit.

I have the basic non-LED one:

SafeLogic Basic

When I went to buy an Amsec safe the fella noted that they have more failures from their mechanical dials than their electronic ones. I was shocked. That looks like something I'd want, never heard of it though.

In the comments under this video some people are saying the 9V battery only lasts 2 months and no one is contradicting those claims. There would be no reason for this other than poor circuit design.

Near the end of the video he says he would do a followup review after using it in a high traffic application for some period of time. The original video was done in November 2014 and as far as I can tell he never did the followup.

Manual dial locks, can fail.
Like anything designed.
Following the proper procedure(s), like shifting gears at the optimal rpm, give the best mpg.

Dial combinations will last a lifetime.
Don't spin-slam
Meaning...when turning the dial, as you do this, the tumblers sync, and clunk together. Spin fast, you are slamming (speed shifting, basically missing gears) the stop points into place and making them deformed. This is why mechanical locks fail.

Does this make sense?
Yes it does.

I stock the LP locks redundant combo lock, my cost was under $120--of course I'm going to charge more for it whenever I sell one and add my installation labor to boot

The LP lock is actually rated as manipulation proof because it has a 4th wheel, instead of the 3-wheel lock Securam uses

Manual dial locks, can fail.
Like anything designed.
Following the proper procedure(s), like shifting gears at the optimal rpm, give the best mpg.

Dial combinations will last a lifetime.
Don't spin-slam
Meaning...when turning the dial, as you do this, the tumblers sync, and clunk together. Spin fast, you are slamming (speed shifting, basically missing gears) the stop points into place and making them deformed. This is why mechanical locks fail.

Does this make sense?
Yes it does.

Dial combination locks fail,
I've drilled open many safes that stopped dialing open

I stock the LP locks redundant combo lock, my cost was under $120--of course I'm going to charge more for it whenever I sell one and add my installation labor to boot

The LP lock is actually rated as manipulation proof because it has a 4th wheel, instead of the 3-wheel lock Securam uses
Installation wise, this is no different than a standard, run of the mill S&G install.

I do love easy
I sense you deal with safe locks often. Question for you.
A friends safe, he lost the key to lock the tumbler. While not stopping access, he wants the ability to "lock" the dial again.
I told him I could install a new lock assy, although the lock and handle are a matched set (looks)
I then told him the lock needs removed and taken to a locksmith for this to happen.

In your experience, what's entailed, aside from taking the lock to the smith?
Thanks for your input

If you mean to make a key for the dial lock

It isn't too hard, you need to remove the inside door cover, take out the 2 screws that hold on the back cover to the combo lock, pull out the spline key that holds the dial into the lock & unscrew the dial. Once the dial is in your hand the lock looks like this& you can depress the retainer that holds it in place

I don't consider having this locked to make a safe very secure, most criminals won't turn the dial much anyhow before they bash it off with a hammer

When removing the little brass spline key out of the dial shaft, make sure you mark or jot down which spline it came out of, as the dial shaft has four splines and the one that was used determined if the bolt was installed on the door with right, left, up or down orientation. It is marked on the wheel pack.
If you insert the spline in the wrong spline slot, the dial numbers will be off by 90 or 180 degrees.

1588641277829.png

I wonder, does it lock out after a few mis-tries or does it allow chording to increase the complexity of the keypad combination? Some extensively used keypads I've seen show enough wear to eliminate some numbers from the guesswork if all keys aren't used in the combination. Granted, I may be straining at gnats here.

As for changing the combination on a Group2 mechanical combination lock being expensive, its because it take a professional's time/travel, not because it's difficult. It takes me more time to decide on the numbers than it does to change it.

I'd have to look at it closer to decide but it does seem to have some clever features. For my own use I'll probably stay mechanical. I recently bought a new S&G lock/dial kit for purposes for about $72 as I recall on Amazon.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top