JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is Seattle in for a long, hot, violent summer?

As Seattle winds down from the Memorial Day weekend that brought more gunfire and tragedy to a city that has suddenly taken on the visage of a Milwaukee or Washington, D.C. — two cities of comparable size that have habitually eclipsed the Jet City in their body counts — the city’s remaining daily print newspaper says citizens are worried.
About “gun violence.”

<broken link removed>

I did notice a few gang bangers at Seattle Center yesterday. Wouldn't have thought folk music was their thing?

Dave, I guess I don't see the point in writing articles responding to the reader comments on the Times article. Calling out the articles themselves is appropriate (journalists show know better) but critiquing the mass of uninformed comments is just shouting at the maelstrom.

I did notice a few gang bangers at Seattle Center yesterday. Wouldn't have thought folk music was their thing?

Dave, I guess I don't see the point in writing articles responding to the reader comments on the Times article. Calling out the articles themselves is appropriate (journalists show know better) but critiquing the mass of uninformed comments is just shouting at the maelstrom.

That's not what I was doing. The comments are there to reflect the divisions in thinking. Give it another read and you might pick up on that.

Instead of guns, Seattle must declare war on gangs

Seattle, which had a pretty bad weekend for violence, still doesn't hold a candle to the carnage that unfolded in Chicago, and the Jet City must now realize that their war is not against guns, but against gang bangers and other armed miscreants.

<broken link removed>

Metz remark infuriates gun owners; community meeting set

Tuesday’s widely reported remarks by Deputy Seattle Police Chief Nick Metz that Seattle’s upsurge in violence is a problem with guns, not gangs has infuriated Northwest gun owners, including Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Bellevue-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

<broken link removed>

Tuesday’s widely reported remarks by Deputy Seattle Police Chief Nick Metz that Seattle’s upsurge in violence is a problem with guns, not gangs has infuriated Northwest gun owners, including Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Bellevue-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

<broken link removed>

Some people in charge are stupid is as stupid does! ! !

Nothing like blaming the guns rather than admit that your department doesn't have a handle on gang violence or issues... A smarter chief might take advantage of the situation by pointing out that they need more cops and more funding for gang task force operations...

Nothing like blaming the guns rather than admit that your department doesn't have a handle on gang violence or issues... A smarter chief might take advantage of the situation by pointing out that they need more cops and more funding for gang task force operations...

Surprised he didn't say they needed money to do a gun "buyback". That would have been the cherry on top of this sundae of idiocy.

Washington gun law in the crosshairs

Washington State’s 29-year-old model state preemption statute is definitely under the gun in the wake of Wednesday’s multiple slayings and a string of shootings that have put the Seattle Police Department’s skills to the test.

<broken link removed>

Once we force all people to use public transportation and ban cars, there will be no more drunk drivers, no more car accidents, no more hit and runs, etc etc.. This would result in many, many less deaths than banning guns.. Your little 8 year old daughter can now walk safely to school without any fear of being struck dead by a dangerous person driving a car. Don't you feel better? I suppose having freedom has a down side. A society like Nazi Germany had a very low rate of crime. Having the government control our every thought would result in a very obedient and safe society with a limited number of incidents of law-breaking. That is, until the government decides to carry out the heinous crimes against it's people which they have such a good track record at doing. Let's look at Syria for example, where the government just ordered a few days ago the execution of over 100 children. Another prime example of the government committing crimes much more horrifying than anything some madmen in a cafe could commit 100 times over.

If they ban guns, then the heavily armed gangs and criminals, who all have easy access to illegal weapons may feel more bold and protected knowing that they now are against an unarmed population. Armed robberies, armed burglaries, assaults, etc will most likely result in more loss of life than the few madmen who decide to go around every so often and shoot up a cafe, schoolroom, etc. Every city that has banned guns has a much higher violent crime rate than cities like Seattle, Portland with liberal gun laws. When guns are banned, the violent crimes have only increased or stayed the same. Banning guns, empowers gangs and weakens the population.

Tuesday's widely reported remarks by Deputy Seattle Police Chief Nick Metz that Seattle's upsurge in violence is a problem with guns, not gangs has infuriated Northwest gun owners, including Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Bellevue-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

<broken link removed>

Dave I just dont get it, how could Metz not be correct that it's a gun problem, not a gang problem? Because that's what the Mayor wants him to say! My guess is career preservation! Start enforcing the laws and make it stick. Stop plea bargaining these violent felony charges down to jaywalking offenses!

Yo Metz, maybe this might help you with reality!

Police arrest man suspected in January shooting outside SLU club - seattlepi.com

I have no doubt that there will be a concerted push in Olympia against concealed carry (moving to shall issue), private sales/gun shows and maybe even high cap magazines as a result of this weeks tragedies.

I was at a work function during the week, and even the folks that I know are conservatives were saying they supported more gun laws. For some reason it has gotten far more press and public reaction than the Capital Hill slaying from a few years back, possibly because of the number of shootings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top