JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I am sure this weapon, once found, will be traced back to some registered owner that either misplaced, lost, or was just irresponsible in storing their firearm in a secure and safe place. "

I love how they attribute the gun getting into criminals hands to the gun owners fault.

Because clearly storing your gun in your house or car and having it stolen is irresponsible.

"I am sure this weapon, once found, will be traced back to some registered owner that either misplaced, lost, or was just irresponsible in storing their firearm in a secure and safe place. "

I love how they attribute the gun getting into criminals hands to the gun owners fault.

Because clearly storing your gun in your house or car and having it stolen is irresponsible.

I don't see you posting this comment at the bottom of the column. If there's a problem lemme know.

The criminals are getting the weapons as a by-product of you law abiding citizens having and disposing of them in the first place!!!!!—‘Aman RA' Seattle
Identification, sympathy and possibly idolatry with the 'criminals' and complete projection of blame. This way of thinking should be criminal.

Well duh. The same as if you don't store your tv, stereo, computer in a secure and safe place then its all your fault if they are stolen. :)

Seattle Center shooting sure to ignite new anti-gun effort

A shooting near the Space Needle Saturday that apparently involved an admitted gang member from Kent will almost certainly spark a new effort by the City of Seattle, no doubt with support from Washington Ceasefire, to attack Washington State’s preemption statute.

<broken link removed>

I hope they pull there heads out of there *** and realize its the gang activity that has erupted into most if not all of the recent BS we are going through. Work on getting this situation under control and leave us 99%ers alone. Guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill PEOPLE.
Dave

I figure this won't go over well; but, here goes:

I do believe that theft does add guns to the criminals business plan; but, one the other hand. . .

I do worry about the number of guns finding their way into criminal hands from the good guys. I do buy face to face because I don't like the way WA tracks FFL sales. And, I don’t want FTF to stop because I don't want to have to buy from an FFL. That little three part WA transfer form that the FFL has to fill out and then goes to the local PD and Olympia registering (in fact) the handgun to the buyer really bothers me.

I do worry about selling face to face. Just because someone has a CPL and a WA driver’s license it does not mean he is a good guy. They can be someone acquiring guns for the criminal trade. Probably good money in that?

It happened to me. Sold the first handgun I ever bought from an FFL face to face. I did all the due diligence before selling. Six months later got call saying “my” handgun was used in a crime and what do you have to say about that?

So legally owned and sold guns are being sold and re-sold to bad guys and that is a very bad thing. The large number of guns now being sold does seem to equate to a larger number of guns finding their way into criminal hands.

Now for the question, what is a good way to stop that??? Anyone have an good answer to that won't impact the rest of us???

I do worry about selling face to face. Just because someone has a CPL and a WA driver's license it does not mean he is a good guy. They can be someone acquiring guns for the criminal trade. Probably good money in that?

Oh please. Yes, someone with a CHL and no felony record is going to be possibly a black market arms dealer? In fact, I'd bet odds that there has never been such a transaction that have ever occurred here specifically. Even without a bill of sale, etc, it would take the authorities about ten minutes to determine who sold/bought on a forum anyway.

People that don't want to wait for two hours for a gun/item at a dealer - IF they stock what you want, at a higher price, are not criminals lurking in the shadows trying to make a shady deal.
If you think that, take your gun/item you want to sell and take it to a dealer for a 75% value offer.

The people I've met FTF from the forum here are all law abiding people, not mysterious gun traffickers. Most, like me, talk your ear off for an hour. Criminals trying to acquire a gun so they can try to resell it to some thug have a tendency not to want to chat and share life stories.

As for the other item, I believe that a responsible gun owner - without legislation forcing them to do so - should have their firearms secured in a safe or a very well hidden location when they are not home. We all need to help keep guns out of criminals hands, but being paranoid about selling to a private/FTF/CHL holder is just misguided.

The poor guy in Seattle is a horrible tragedy but his only chance would have been a CHL person in range to stop the shooter (cops are never around, we know that).

Oh please. Yes, someone with a CHL and no felony record is going to be possibly a black market arms dealer? In fact, I'd bet odds that there has never been such a transaction that have ever occurred here specifically. Even without a bill of sale, etc, it would take the authorities about ten minutes to determine who sold/bought on a forum anyway.

People that don't want to wait for two hours for a gun/item at a dealer - IF they stock what you want, at a higher price, are not criminals lurking in the shadows trying to make a shady deal.
If you think that, take your gun/item you want to sell and take it to a dealer for a 75% value offer.

The people I've met FTF from the forum here are all law abiding people, not mysterious gun traffickers. Most, like me, talk your ear off for an hour. Criminals trying to acquire a gun so they can try to resell it to some thug have a tendency not to want to chat and share life stories.

As for the other item, I believe that a responsible gun owner - without legislation forcing them to do so - should have their firearms secured in a safe or a very well hidden location when they are not home. We all need to help keep guns out of criminals hands, but being paranoid about selling to a private/FTF/CHL holder is just misguided.

The poor guy in Seattle is a horrible tragedy but his only chance would have been a CHL person in range to stop the shooter (cops are never around, we know that).

Burt, I have a question of moral and I suppose legal standpoint. In or/wa could you shoot somebody to stop them after they had discharged their firearm and was fleeing the scene?

No, I doubt that. The threat had stopped. We are not Batman, nor police officers (at least I am not).

Personally, if I just witnessed a murder I would probably pursue if armed to gain as much info as possible to help the police find the perp. If that could be accomplished covertly without putting bystanders/innocents in more danger. So many variables, can't say. If you pursued on foot with a gun drawn the big threat would be being mistaken for the shooter. So I'd keep distance and hope to get a description, license plate, anything. Do gooder syndrome I guess.

No, I doubt that. The threat had stopped. We are not Batman, nor police officers (at least I am not).

Personally, if I just witnessed a murder I would probably pursue if armed to gain as much info as possible to help the police find the perp. If that could be accomplished covertly without putting bystanders/innocents in more danger. So many variables, can't say. If you pursued on foot with a gun drawn the big threat would be being mistaken for the shooter. So I'd keep distance and hope to get a description, license plate, anything. Do gooder syndrome I guess.

Could you legally shoot a person if it was in defense of another persons life? I.E. you saw somebody stabbing another person? Or do we have to sit by and just try to pull him off the other person at the possibility of coming into contact with blade/blood.

Could you legally shoot a person if it was in defense of another persons life? I.E. you saw somebody stabbing another person? Or do we have to sit by and just try to pull him off the other person at the possibility of coming into contact with blade/blood.

In Washington State you can. I'm not sure about Oregon. WA is pretty clear as far as what it considers justifiable homicide for a private individual in RCW 9A.16.050: RCW 9A.16.050: Homicide

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top