JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What to do?

• Nothing, how dare you defile the pepper with heat!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Char it, like it's damned

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Smoke it good

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Roast them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's a scotch bonnet pepper?

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
It's been far too long since I've happened upon some scotch bonnet peppers, but saw some at that grocery store next to Cabela's while trying to kill some time. The plan is to set myself up with enough Jamaican Jerk to last until next summer. I've made some before with just the raw peppers...but now I'm wondering if there'd be any benefit to roasting them, charring them, smoking them, or some combo thereof.

What do you think? Any Jerk pro's here?

Never knew they existed, if their as hot as the habanero then wash your hands before you touch any sensitive skin...ask me how I know...:)

Love to hear how it comes out though, love making my own hot sauce.

Never knew they existed, if their as hot as the habanero then wash your hands before you touch any sensitive skin...ask me how I know...:)

Love to hear how it comes out though, love making my own hot sauce.

I believe they're either on par with habaneros or actually hotter. They've got a sweeter heat though and are the signature flavor in jerk. This is only the second time I've found them in Oregon, so, if you do see them, snatch some.

Do you want to make a rub from it? Then dehydrate/dry it and pulverize it (mortar/pestle)

You can pickle them.

You can do a lot with peppers.

Yea - thinking a paste-rub so there's some stickiness to it. Hmmmm...forgot about pickling them...that might make for a good, though distinctly different, jerk. Now I'll have to try that.

Here's a basic representation of what I have been using... Skip the fruit although it sounds interesting, And no need for the bullion in my opinion. Bump up the peppers to 4.

A smoked version would be an interesting variant.

Ferment them.
Sauce that I finished yesterday.

20200830_165738.jpg 20200830_165847.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR