JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty sure if I had had a Rifle I would have shot during the first charge. With a pistol I might have allowed her to get closer but there would have been a warning shot. Reason is the rifle would most likely put her down in one shot as shot placement would have been more assured with a pistol I would have worried a wounding shot could have made it worse for ME.

I think it's a pretty good no shoot. Lots of bluff charges by the cat just trying to protect her young. While living in Alaska, I had a couple bluffs from brownies while hunting that I probably could have been justified in pulling the trigger on but glad I didn't. In this scenario, I would have probably just kept backing up like the person in the video did and certainly put a round or two in the dirt to try to spook it, but wouldn't have tried to kill her until the attack was imminent.

All that being said, I wasn't there and those charges definitely were scary. Adrenaline is a helluva drug.....

I would not have blamed anybody for shooting that cat. Encounter went on way too long. If it had been me I would have fired a barking shot into the gravel 5' in front of cat. If that didn't work I would have shot the cat. It is only a bluff charge until it's not.

In my opinion that cougar was threatening but did not want to kill or the first time you saw that cougar would have been her attacking for the kill. That to me is warning behavior.

I would hate to shoot an animal with a cub, but I would have been close.
would depend if I had my kids or not. Kids with me? That a dead cat.
If not I would have fired a warning shot and hopefully it would be the end of the encounter.

This guy either didn't have a gun or it was in his bag, which I would have been getting out real quick instead of filming.

On his tactics of just backing away?

I don't think he was being loud or aggressive enough.
he should have been yelling (which could have been fear) and kicking or throwing rocks at her.
I probably would have tried a couple false charges myself.

But at not time in the last 10 years in the woods would I have EVER needed to say "where's my gun?"

I know where it is, it at the ready at all times.

Kept calling her, "dude." Gender misidentification might have been the irritating factor.

Check your priveledge!

Non-binary cougars are a thing now. :rolleyes:

That's EXACTLY what THIS is for...
91D4A951-1068-4520-AB9D-231BEEF65D1F.jpeg

Last Edited:
Eirst thing I would have done is ditched the f-ing camera and scared the little f-er away! If that didn't work, then, and only then, shot it. That guy was totally foolish.

He was young and had his cell phone in his hand. What could go wrong?

I know a couple people who've been stomped by deer. And I was false-charged repeatedly by a bull elk (out of season). Each time, he got closer. There's less than a second between the conversion of a false charge to an actual attack. I've told people many times, unless a gun is already in your hands, the animal will win the draw.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR