JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any suppressor recommendations for a 7" SBR? :s0131:

What needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a suppressor for this short a barrel?

I'm asking because YHM says they won't warranty their suppressors on a barrel shorter than 10.5".

Thanks!

I just re-read the warranty on the web page, doesn't say anything about 7" barrels? I have a 7.62 phantom on order. part of the time it will be mounted on a 7.5" 5.56. they warranty it for full auto fire, I can't imagine a 7" barrel would be any more punishing than that.

my .02cents
Kyle

The pressures greatly increase when you go shorter. Whether it's full auto or not makes no difference as that's mainly a heat issue.

Generally the warranty is not about the pressures and whether the can will hold up (although it can be an issue with very light cans), but more of bullet instability with the short barrel causing baffle/endcap strikes.

That said, it will usually work. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=249225

I e-mailed YHM Tech and they wrote back that they wouldn't cover a 7" barrel. I have an e-mail in to OPS.

Couple other manufacturers I talked to said the same about warranty, but they claimed it was due to powder burning inside the can degraded performance more quickly.

I can't find any credentialed, first-hand info about baffle strikes. The manufacturers say it's not an issue . . . :s0155:

I don't really care about the ballistics, it'd be cool and fun to shoot. From a self/home defense point of view, it's still way better than a pistol. All the brouhaha is based around issue ammo, it'd be fun to cook up some reloads and see how far the performance can be pushed.

Besides, if somebody is 300m from me, they're not my problem anyway.

The warranty issue is usually caused by the erosion the main baffle is going to suffer from on that short of a can. In that short or a barrel a lot of the powder still hasn't burned and when it hits the baffles it will start to eat away at them pretty quickly.

I was in a carbine course a few years ago shooting my 7.5" MSTN SBR. One of the students was Owen Miller (Gemtech employee) and he said Gemtech would warranty my SBR. He said the problem with VSBR's is with projectile stabilization which leads to baffle strikes.

If I wanted to purchase a suppressor for a SBR or VSBR I'd contact all the manufacturers and let them know what type of upper, barrel and who assembled it.

Dan from Hairtrigger Firearms in Colton, OR makes suppressors and will warranty his cans for any barrel length. Not only that but you'll pay quite a bit less for a can from him than from one of the larger manufacturers.

I just bought a can from Jefferson Suppressors - Give them a call too. VERY reasonable. Even test fired on my 7.5 (function was fine). Met with both owners and both advised they would guarantee the can on my gun..... so when I have a problem they will fix. I am more worried about the back pressure and receiver damage than I am the can. The receiver is an SBR and harder to fix than a blown baffle in a suppressor where the shop that made it is 20 min from my house. just my .02.

As far as subsonic .223... turns an AR into a single shot. And really why not shoot rimfire? 60 grain .22? basically the same thing lots cheaper as long as the twist rate is right to stabilize the round. Of course subsonic HEAVY .223 bullets might be interesting but not for the money.

I think my next one will be a .300 whisper with 308 can. AR platform fun with 220 grain 30 cal semi auto performance. Shot one last year. Like SERIOUSLY quiet.... scary for the level of ballistic performance.

.223 will always be a disappointment suppressed,,,, but it sure makes the 7" gun more user friendly (still shorter than an M4) and having a rail that goes past muzzle gives that MP5SD look which is appealing.

IMG_2468.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads