JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hopefully a little focused legal discussion is ok here:

In case others did not see it, Floyd let me know that C&R FFL's are required to get background checks now. It may be argued that an out of state company can still mail directly to you if they have a copy of the C&R. granted Oregon would not even know, but I'm not willing to take that risk so I wont be using my 03 FFL anymore.

So I propose that everyone in Oregon with a C&R write their legislator asking for a refund for the cost of the C&R or an amendment to make C&R a clear exception in the law.

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Sen Prozanski <[email protected]> wrote:

Eric – Yes, under SB 941 I do believe that individuals who hold a C&R FEL would be still be required to have an Oregon background check before having a firearm transferred to them.

Floyd

This is a bummer. I have mentioned both CHL and 03 FFL in every email I've been sending legislators up to this point. I emailed Prozanski again this morning asking when he plans to reimburse me for my 03 FFL costs - and I want that to include my time (full billable rates, overtime since I did it off-hours) postage, etc. And to finish it off, I want an in person apology from Floyd himself for officially screwing us over.

how can they prosecute an out of state transferrer?? The law applies to the seller to prevent the transfer. If you are not a prohibited person what do they charge you with? You would be in legal possession.
The seller would be the violator.

I'll keep buying out of state as long as the seller recognizes my FFL. I don't believe this bill can restrict interstate trade between Federal licensees, unless Floyd "a bad guy shot my sister" Prozanski sees something in what he wrote that the rest of us don't. Supreme Court anyone?

So Phloyd 'believes' or does Phloyd 'know'?

I deal with people who believe something is going on, but more often than not they don't actually know what is going on, so I tend to follow the old trust but verify standard.

So Phloyd 'believes' or does Phloyd 'know'?

I deal with people who believe something is going on, but more often than not they don't actually know what is going on, so I tend to follow the old trust but verify standard.

He wrote the bill. So it was his intention to require background checks for C&R holders. if prosecuted it would be something that would probably win in court since it is an out of state transfer. Not willing to take that risk. That is why I asked him well before the vote in the senate to make an exclusion and he did not.

He wrote the bill. So it was his intention to require background checks for C&R holders. if prosecuted it would be something that would probably win in court since it is an out of state transfer. Not willing to take that risk. That is why I asked him well before the vote in the senate to make an exclusion and he did not.

Thankfully his authority is restricted to Oregon. If he were to try and charge someone from out of state, he'd likely have to, literally, make a federal case out of it. I don't know if Queen Kate is ready to expend the very limited resources prosecuting an out-of-state vendor, especially for a case they would likely lose in federal court, since it's the Feds that regulate interstate transfer and not the state.

I think it will be telling if any out-of-state vendors will continue to honor the 03 FFL. If they do, I may be willing to give it a go, since the bill really seems to be aimed at punishing the seller more than the buyer.

I don't know, I am not really much of an "I will not comply" kind of person. Time will tell.

I wonder, would it be possible, if resources were pooled, to have an attorney pursue a ruling on this part of the bill? Just thinking out loud at this point, not suggesting a course of action yet.

I just finished emailing my Senator, Alan Olsen, who, I continue to thank for opposing/fighting against SB941. I only wish he had more on his side so they could have flushed this turd where it belongs.

In my email, I appealed to him on behalf of Oregon 03 FFL holders. I asked what options might now be available, such as proposing a new piece of legislation that effectively amends SB941 to allow the 03 FFL exemption. I don't know if that can be done or not at this point, that's why I'm asking him. In my mind, I'm thinking that some D's may even be willing to support such a bill since SB941 is already law now and they could help appease some of the really pissed off voters (if they care to do that).

I also asked him about getting some kind of $$ back from the state for our 03 FFL's, since they've effectively been rendered useless by SB941. While that request is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, there is an air of seriousness to it since they basically stole from us by invalidating our Federal licenses.

Lastly, I asked if he would be able to pursue some kind of ruling/interpretation regarding 03 FFL purchases when the seller is outside of Oregon. I think that's a fair question, and considering the state has no say in Interstate Firearms Transfers, I think we have a real potential for (if I may use their favorite f*$king term "loophole") exploiting a 'loophole' in their own law that they may be unable, by law, to close. Man, if that would be the case, I'd go on a spending spree of 03 guns and email Prozanski with a photo every one I bought, along with a copy of the decision/ruling/interpretation showing he can't stop us, even with his crappy law.

I will see if Senator Olsen responds. I asked to have a personal response.

Excellent points @etrain16 . I also believe we should keep pressing the exemption for CHL since we have all voluntarily provided our information to the State. I'll give Senator Steiner Hayward a similar note.

Agreed. I'm starting with the 03 FFL issue. If he's responsive to that, I'll ask him to address CHL as well.

Good luck with Senator Steiner Hayward

Last Edited:
i don't see how the state of oregon could have the authority to invalidate a federal license. floyd may think he "knows," but i'm sure any challenge to FFL-03 holders will be overturned in the courts. SB941 mentions nothing about an FFL-03. in fact, SB941 mentions nothing about "curio & relic" firearms, either.

Senator Hayward's assistant says that she is not able propose a bill because the time is passed and no more bills can be introduced this session. But she will meet with me in the summer to hear my argument for introducing one next year.

Is that true? no more bills can be introduced this year?

Senator Hayward's assistant says that she is not able propose a bill because the time is passed and no more bills can be introduced this session. But she will meet with me in the summer to hear my argument for introducing one next year.

Is that true? no more bills can be introduced this year?
That's the truth. That's why they pushed this through so quickly. As for Senator Steiner Hayward...pfft. she knew full well about the C&R and voted against the amendment offering the exemption for that and the CHL when it was still in the Senate Judiciary committee.

OK I know squat about the law. But I hear all the time about this law suit or that trying to change some law and it gets thrown out because the people bringing the suit have not been harmed by the law.

WELL its sure clear and easy to see how a FFL C&R holder has been hurt by this new law. Maybe someone should talk to one of the Pro gun outfits that like to bring suit against stupid laws and get the ball rolling on this POS Law.

How about one that takes a vote to the people to repeal this bill ?

HahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahHahHjJjB oh. Oh... Hahahahahah yaaaaarrrrr

I dont even know where to begin. That's doomed to failure. The only benefit would be a delayed implementation until after the election... Giving people time to get some things before having to do the dog and pony show at their FFL.

Look how well a vote of the people turned out here in WA!

There are enough anti-gunners, people who don't care and far too many stay-at-home Republicans for that to work.

You're looking at the new normal in Oregon. Anti-gun crap doesn't get repealed. Especially in Oregon

It was a good ride while it lasted. At least you don't have to pay sales tax

HahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahHahHjJjB oh. Oh... Hahahahahah yaaaaarrrrr

I dont even know where to begin. That's doomed to failure. The only benefit would be a delayed implementation until after the election... Giving people time to get some things before having to do the dog and pony show at their FFL.

Look how well a vote of the people turned out here in WA!

There are enough anti-gunners, people who don't care and far too many stay-at-home Republicans for that to work.

You're looking at the new normal in Oregon. Anti-gun crap doesn't get repealed. Especially in Oregon

It was a good ride while it lasted. At least you don't have to pay sales tax

You discount one big thing - now people are getting to experience, first hand, the result of their poor voting choices or inaction. We haven't had an election since the passage of these two laws, the next election may see a change in sentiment.

I honestly don't know why so many folks are ready to just say "it's over" and throw in the towel.

That's just it though, gun rights never have majority support.

Either people dont have guns, so they don't care and/or get scared into it by the idea of criminals getting guns... Or the brain dead gun owners who support this stuff...
Or worse yet, conservatives who would normally support 2A issues... But sit out elections all together because the Republican ticket isn't conservative enough or they don't like something about the candidate. I'm certain that's what dis us in up here.

There's going to be a big Democratic turn out for 2016, I hope not to see any antigun legislation come up for a vote until mid terms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top