JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Freddy's today to grab a quick lunch in between boat gigs today and I noticed a guy with two mags and his pistol strapped to his hip.I was a little curious about open carry in Seattle so I asked him how long he had been doing so and what the general reaction has been.Said him and his wife had been OC for two years now and that he had only encountered one person who had made any kind of stink about it.In addition he told me that him and his better half had sat down to coffee at a Starbucks with six SPD officers who stated that they wished they saw more people doing so.Very friendly,informative dude and I found it pretty shocking that in lib Sea town there were not problems with OC.

I think that most people have been so frightened by the media re guns that for many, just to see a gun in public evokes deep fear.Sadly this is the case even in an OC state.I did take some comfort in the fact that this dude had encountered virtually no hysteria because people saw him with a gun.Gotta mean something in a place as looney as Seattle.

Why would there be a problem? Open carry is legal. And educating people is free.

True but it does not stop Jane Soccer mom from calling 911 to report "Man with a gun" which is unfortunately a common reaction to OC. Then you get "harassed" buy a LEO that has to do his job and respond to see what is going on, if not a couple LEOs. I could see someone OC carrying around the RCW pamphlets to pull out and talk to people about laws & rights to carry, even hand out so people can educate themselves.

This fear of having 911 called on you and being mobbed by cops is usually fear from gun people who have never tried it. Gun owners are our own worst problem here repeating fears vs facts.

When was the last time you OC?
What location were you in?
What response did you get?
How many LEO's attacked you?
What were you carrying?

My last time was Sunday and was in the Seatac area having just come back from vacation. I only had one holster and it was my OWB holster. I was going to carry so OWB was my only option and it was too warm for a jacket. I was only at the hotel and a fuel station this day so not a lot of exposure to public.

I got no response from anyone.
No LEO's attacked me
I was carrying a M&P

Last year we did a motorcycle trip to central OR. We do not have our OR permits so we both OC for the 2 days were were there. We had lots of public exposure including National Parks.

I got a few responses all of which were good from public. Most asking about OC and when finding out it was legal planned on doing to and asking if we had had any problems. Only one possible bad but not sure. When we pulled up a couple in early 20's saw us, ran to their car and drove off fast. Maybe we just looked funny, maybe had nothing to do with us at all. Had no LEO trouble or even funny looks from the Rangers we talked to.

I was carrying M&P and GF her .38.

I generally choose to CC just as a personal preference but I do OC quite often or OC/CC based on if I have my jacket on or not.

I don't OC much but from time to time I do. BTW I blame NWFA.com (and Tattoo in particular) for this; I had never OC'd before reading some of the positive posts/reactions here.

The only comment I've had so far was from a 12yo who said 'nice piece' at a rest stop on I84. Never been attacked by police. I carry a compact 1911.

I Conceal Carry - but I don't make every attempt to conceal it 100% of the time. I carry my 4" 1911 both IWB and OWB depending on the pants/shorts I'm wearing. If my shirt completely covers it, fine - if not that's fine too :)
I know it "prints" a lot of the time. I get my t-shirts hooked over the grip as I get up from a chair in a restaurant. I know the bottom of my OWB holster is exposed at times. Frankly, I don't care anymore. neither does my wife - who used to worry that I might get hassled by the hoplophobes (hoplophobics?). I have never had anyone say anything to me. Nobody has called 911 (that I know of). I have seen people notice it, but they probably think I'm a LEO or something :s0092:

I think the gun owners are more worried than they need to be. I think our demeanor, attitude and appearance will put people at ease with the idea that responsible people carry guns - we are not the ones to worry about. Several of my "anti gun, liberal minded" friends have an entirely new outlook on guns and concealed handguns after knowing me for a couple years. I think of it as "passive education" by exposing them to it, rather than shielding them from it.

The ONLY time I (would) worry about 100% concealment is if I (were to) carry somewhere that says "No Firearms Allowed". :s0131: Jus' sayin'

I've only had one cop ever stop and ask me about ccw, I was in a laundromat here in OR, and tossed a dirty jacket in the machine, about 15min later a clackamas county sheriff walked in, up to me, and asid mind if we talk outside, I said sure, handed my friend my pepsi, he asked me if I was carrying my handgun, I said yes he asked if he could see my ccw as it was coverd by my shirt, showed him my lisc. He asaid have a good day, then said sorry I bothered you, I laughed and said no worries, and then I pulled me pants up a big highter and cranked my belt a bit tighter till my jacket was clean.

Heck the other night, I had a person stabbed at my apt complex, when the cops arrived I was kneeling over the patient, blue rubber gloves on my Glock 23 in some kydex on my hip. Holding a ABD pad to the guys belly and writing vitals don and past medical history. Cop never questioned me about the gun or tried to disarm me, even though he knew from the secutity guy told the cops I had a firearm and it was drawn when he came running to assist

I have OC'd for over 40 years. One MWAG call...Sheriff's deputy "hunting"? Me "yep", end of conversation...and that was a big 6" Colt revolver in a hunting holster. (everything covered but the butt of the gun)

I have been asked to leave a restaraunt or two, and a couple other business properties, had a few lame comments, but most days were like today...went shopping (once a week we do everything), grocery store, bank, farm supply store, city park..don't know that anyone noticed.

One day I purposely asked the gal that had teh state liquor store comment about OC in her store, and what her state contract said...She said, don't know what it says in the contract be people OC here all the time.

At least on this side of the mountains, OC is normal.

I do a mixture of CC and OC, I have never had a problem from anyone at all. Mostly good comments from the general public. I have a police officer (PPB) friend that encourages carry. It makes him feel better! Last Sunday the pastors of my church found out that I carry and thought it was great after we had a potential problem pop up. It made them feel more comfortable.

I was in Freddy's today to grab a quick lunch in between boat gigs today and I noticed a guy with two mags and his pistol strapped to his hip.I was a little curious about open carry in Seattle so I asked him how long he had been doing so and what the general reaction has been.Said him and his wife had been OC for two years now and that he had only encountered one person who had made any kind of stink about it.In addition he told me that him and his better half had sat down to coffee at a Starbucks with six SPD officers who stated that they wished they saw more people doing so.Very friendly,informative dude and I found it pretty shocking that in lib Sea town there were not problems with OC.

I would encourage veryone on this thread to watch some of the youtube postings about what happens all over the US when people OC. Very interesting responses in differnt parts of the Us and Oregon for that matter. One of particular interst to Oregon residents is posted by USMCHAUS, I think that's how you spell it.

To NWCID, more and more cities in Oregon are restricting loaded firearms in their limits without a permit, see State V Ward, so don't leave home without your CHL and think you can just OC anywhere in Oregon. My two cents

To NWCID, more and more cities in Oregon are restricting loaded firearms in their limits without a permit, see State V Ward, so don't leave home without your CHL and think you can just OC anywhere in Oregon. My two cents

Yes, we know about carry in a car can be considered a public place. But that has nothing to do with your second statement, That is, that more and more cities are restricting loaded OC...You have no cite, and until you can show what local governments have reciently enacted restrictions...and when...it isn't happening. You may be finding more cities that have restrictions, but those restrictions are not new.

Second thing, for me...ORS 166.173 exempts persons with a licence to carry concealed...and in the case of OC, that does not only mean an OR CHL. that means ANY legit license to carry a concealed weapon will exempt you from the local governments OC restrictions...example see Astoria ordinance 5.010(c)(3)

You see, for people that have other states licenses than an OC CHL, the option is OC or NO carry...If they have any license they still must OC, and they still must stay out of "public owned" buildings (city hall etc), but they can ignore the local gov restrictions.

I would encourage veryone on this thread to watch some of the youtube postings about what happens all over the US when people OC. Very interesting responses in differnt parts of the Us and Oregon for that matter. One of particular interst to Oregon residents is posted by USMCHAUS, I think that's how you spell it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are incorrect in saying that any CHL will exempt you from local Gov. restrictions. You must have an Oregon CHL to be exempt from local restrictions. Your last statement is not true either. If you have an Oregon CHL you can most certainly enter into public buildings, just not courthouses and federal buildings. The example you cite in Astoria is Just in Astoria, you are also exempt from it if you possess an Oregon CHL. Oregon does not recognize CHL's from any other state. MY original comment was to NWCID. He made mention of OC while going for a ride through Oregon on his motorcycle. If he were to ride throught the wrong city doing that with no Oregon CHL, he would have his firearm taken and be cited or arrested. If you think I am incorrect then leave your CHL at home and try OC in Portland. The State V Ward I referenced was only to parallel NWCID's situation with a case. Ward had no CHL and even if he was OC the result would be the same for not having a CHL.

I open carry every place that is legal for me to do so here in Tacoma.
NEVER an issue. Only good responses. And I have been in close proximity of our local LEO's with out fear or being dragged to the ground and sent to the poky.
Dave

You are incorrect in saying that any CHL will exempt you from local Gov. restrictions. You must have an Oregon CHL to be exempt from local restrictions. Your last statement is not true either. If you have an Oregon CHL you can most certainly enter into public buildings, just not courthouses and federal buildings. The example you cite in Astoria is Just in Astoria, you are also exempt from it if you possess an Oregon CHL. Oregon does not recognize CHL's from any other state. MY original comment was to NWCID. He made mention of OC while going for a ride through Oregon on his motorcycle. If he were to ride throught the wrong city doing that with no Oregon CHL, he would have his firearm taken and be cited or arrested. If you think I am incorrect then leave your CHL at home and try OC in Portland. The State V Ward I referenced was only to parallel NWCID's situation with a case. Ward had no CHL and even if he was OC the result would be the same for not having a CHL.

I know what State V Ward says...has nothing to do with OC with an out of state licennce to carry. The out of state license to carry OC exemption FOR LOCAL OC RESTRICTIONS ONLY is ORS 166.173(2)(c). This exemption does NOT allow non-CHL carry into places like city hall.

The full OC exemption from local restriction is only for an OR CHL and includes public buildings. It is ORS 166.173(2)(d)...read your law, not what you think.

I do not OC in most cases, unless i am hiking in the woods, hunting, etc.. But i do just wear a long t shirt over my OWB holster sometimes when it is hot and i do not feel like using one of my IWB holsters. I really do not care if someone notices my full size sig printing through my t shirt, as i have a CHL and the handgun is technically concealled.
Maybe one of these days, i will OC and walk around town and see what, if any reaction i get. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top