Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Save me some Berdan brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by eternalphoenix64, Jan 12, 2013.

1. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Washougal, WA Member

So I know that everyone says you can't reload Berdan brass. I'm an engineering student and I'm wondering if I might be able to figure out a way to make it possible. So if you guys have any Berdan primed brass that you'd be willing to donate, I'd happily come pick it up from you. Preferably not too far out of Portland/Vancouver metro area.

2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It can be reloaded if the primer pocket is swaged.

3. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Washougal, WA Member

I'm still new to reloading and that term is unfamiliar to me. What is swaging?

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

How does that help? The flash holes are different and the primers work different.

5. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

It can be reloaded as is. They make Berdan primers and the old primers can be removed a couple ways, either with the RCBS decapping tool or hydraulically with a water and a punch that fits snug in the mouth of the case and pressed out by the water pressure.

Instructions for RCBS Decapping Tool for Removing Spent Berdan Primers

[video=youtube;ZQNDgjcgofY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNDgjcgofY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]