JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A quick look at completed auctions showed seven 24c's: $425, $456, $470, $540, $620, $1099 (one bid), and the top dog, sold less than 2 months ago - auction ended on New Years eve, so obviously some folks had been drinking - $2200 with 55 bids. The bid history showed the winner put in 27 bids until he was finally "high" bidder!

A quick look at completed auctions showed seven 24c's: $425, $456, $470, $540, $620, $1099 (one bid), and the top dog, sold less than 2 months ago - auction ended on New Years eve, so obviously some folks had been drinking - $2200 with 55 bids. The bid history showed the winner put in 27 bids until he was finally "high" bidder!
This reflects almost in gradient fashion the usage these guns each most probably showed. Pristine 24's are VERY rare, due to the very character of the gun and the niche they fill.
It is an unusual example of an economical firearm that became a collector item purely because it was a very useful gun that became discontinued. The very idea of the gun appeals to the working man or the beginning hunter (both of modest means). Almost without exception all these guns were put to immediate use by their owners. Few survived in mint condition.

That unusual aspect toward a collector's item cannot be said for such famous collector guns as Winchester Model 66's. Perfect ones exist.

"Mister $2200", drunk or not just may have bought the Holy Grail of 24"s.

"Clarinet" case. I'd think more saxophone size, but I like it.

That makes me think of a nice way to repurpose Mom's 1950s suitcase.

This can't be what these are actually selling for. I don't have an account to check completed auctions.

I keep track at the shows, and I've seen asking prices in that neighborhood, but for less "garden variety" types than that plain one. Most often a "decent" 24 will have a price tag in the $650 area. Dogs that operate start at 400-450. V-models bring more, early guns more, silver receiver, gold trigger more.

To a collector (I don't consider myself one: mine are hunting guns) of course, condition is everything, and in these guns, upper barrel caliber is important.

I keep track at the shows, and I've seen asking prices in that neighborhood, but for less "garden variety" types than that plain one. Most often a "decent" 24 will have a price tag in the $650 area. Dogs that operate start at 400-450. V-models bring more, early guns more, silver receiver, gold trigger more.

To a collector (I don't consider myself one: mine are hunting guns) of course, condition is everything, and in these guns, upper barrel caliber is important.
How do the nickel guns fit in there price wise? Do they command much more?

BA97185B-BD60-4D6D-9528-EED3AC12E688.jpeg

About 35 years ago, I had one and it was a Model 24 S-D, .22 Mag over 20 gauge. "S" in model nomenclature indicated side release lever, which this gun had. Wooden stock, these were made 1965-circa 1971. Mine had no serial number. so made circa 1965-69. Somebody already said the word, "novelty." I think this is what has sold a lot of these. The idea of having a two for one gun seems promising, but it's not a good rifle and it's not a good shotgun. In my opinion. Mine went away. But if you like them, good on you.

There seem to be a lot of models of these, like every time I see one, it's another model that I've never seen before. Lots of variations in manufacturing technique, in addition to many chambering combinations.

What I find really incredible about these is how much they sell for. After all, it's a Savage, how good is it gonna be? There is nothing wrong with the brand as a utilitarian, knock-about firearm. But it's nothing fancy.

Last Edited:
How do the nickel guns fit in there price wise? Do they command much more?
If you refer to the silver-colored receivers (such as on Dad's 24DL shown above), they are actually anodized rather than nickel plated. Most normally seen (and on this one) with the gold-plated trigger. There is a machine-engraved picture of a fox on one side and grouse on the other..

If upper caliber is identical, and all other features similar, including condition, a silver-receiver gun may bring 10-15% more than a plain version. Some of this added desirability is that most of these are early guns with the barrels welded full-length.

Nice gun! Yep, that's electroless nickel. That gun is beyond my realm of experience. If not refinished wood, a Savage collector would probably give most for it.
The break lever (plastic) ahead of the trigger guard was present on a gun I bought new in about 1981, so your gun would be a contemporary from that period.

Wood is factory as far as I have seen.
Just need to find a new screw for the pistol grip, can't seem to find reference to it anywhere and it's an oddball thread pitch, 1/4-24.

Wood is factory as far as I have seen.
Just need to find a new screw for the pistol grip, can't seem to find reference to it anywhere and it's an oddball thread pitch, 1/4-24.
The "Stock Bolt"? (holds the buttstock on the receiver). I would think the pistol grip one would be same as for the buttstock (maybe shorter?).

Yeah, the bolt that holds the pistol grip is what I need, it's about 4" shorter. I see the longer ones for the stock available on numrich, but not finding reference to the short one for the pistol grip.
McMaster Carr doesn't even sell screws with 1/4-24 threads!
May have to have one turned.

View attachment 1369568

This Savage Model 24DL was purchased new by my Dad in 1965 in anticipation for his upcoming Remote Duty assignment in Alaska with the Air Force. It has been in every single hunting camp of our family every year since. Truly a "Mice to Moose" firearm, this one has actually taken two Moose. Upper barrel is .22 WMR (.22 Magnum). Bottom barrel is 3" 20ga. Full Choke. Note the forward-most 20ga cartridge in the butt-carrier is black-marked as a slug (but both Moose were killed with the .22 Mag).
Also note that this model is early enough that the rifle barrel is actually welded to the thick-walled shotgun barrel full length. This grants fat-barrel target accuracy to the rifle. Later models for economical reasons experimented with barrel bands, welded only at a point forward, etc.

This gun has seen long days afield as a primary upland bird gun as well. It comes up fast and the stock does not seem to be a compromise at all. The rear peep is a Redfield (no longer made), and it was sold with a pedestal to install under the front sight for elevation compatibility. Aperture is removed when upland bird hunting (results in a "ghost-ring").

Since my first encounter with this Model 24 at the age of 10, I have always admired them and over the years collected a few.

View attachment 1369590
From top to bottom:
Model 24V. Caliber .30-30 WCF/20ga. Barrel band forward. Travel case fitted to include a Leupold FXII 2.5x Ultralight scope in QRW rings, and ammunition for both barrels. In this box it is called, "The Clarinet".
Model 24B. Caliber .22 Long Rifle/.410. Early model with barrel selector disk on side of receiver. Barrels welded full contact.
Model 24 Series M. Caliber .22 Long Rifle/20ga. Barrels attached forward with a steel band machined to include the front sight.
Model 24V. Caliber .357 Magnum/20ga. Weaver K2.5.
Model 24V Caliber .222 Remington/20ga. Weaver K3. These two "V" models have a small brick of steel welded between the barrels forward.

Your interest in the 24 is well-founded. They truly are "two guns in one", and each is entirely capable of filling those two roles fully. Decent ones (few and far between: these were workhorse guns, rarely treated with kid gloves) are skyrocketing in price, testifying to their appeal.
I have a 24V in .222 over a 20 gauge. Belonged to my grandfather. Love it.

I have a 24V in .222 over a 20 gauge. Belonged to my grandfather. Love it.
Just so you know.
That 222 can be reamed to 223.
Why they were built ?
Why was a mini 14 built in 222 overseas...to skirt a dumb law.

Yes I have the same model as well as a few others.

There are particular cal that will bring a big premium....your gonna pay unless you stumble on a super deal PP.

Just so you know.
That 222 can be reamed to 223.
Why they were built ?
Why was a mini 14 built in 222 overseas...to skirt a dumb law.

Yes I have the same model as well as a few others.

There are particular cal that will bring a big premium....your gonna pay unless you stumble on a super deal PP.
As to the reasoning of chambering the .222, it was introduced in these guns prior to the .223's success as a commercial cartridge.

For the handloader/target shooter it is a better cartridge. Longer neck for cartridge concentricity, better powder efficiency and it held benchrest records for decades. As a hunting cartridge it gives up little or nothing for power or range compared to the .223.

Reaming a decent Model 24 from .222 to .223 would completely destroy any collector value to the gun.

The only logic to the operation would be factory ammo availability. .222's were for a while almost non-existent on store shelves, but I saw two varieties on the shelf last week. Logic dissipates. Never existed for the handloader.

Mine came this way and has someones initials inlayed into the side of the stock.
They did a decent job but there not my initials. Had a few boxs of 222 at one time and gave them away figuring I'd never see a 222 and have seen several since

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top