JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As to the reasoning of chambering the .222, it was introduced in these guns prior to the .223's success as a commercial cartridge.

For the handloader/target shooter it is a better cartridge. Longer neck for cartridge concentricity, better powder efficiency and it held benchrest records for decades. As a hunting cartridge it gives up little or nothing for power or range compared to the .223.

Reaming a decent Model 24 from .222 to .223 would completely destroy any collector value to the gun.

The only logic to the operation would be factory ammo availability. .222's were for a while almost non-existent on store shelves, but I saw two varieties on the shelf last week. Logic dissipates. Never existed for the handloader.
If only they made the Savage 24 with a .222 Remington Magnum barrel. It's such a commercial success, just this morning I saw Nosler brass available for a mere 96 cents per (sure glad I've got plenty). I can't recall the last time I saw factory ammo in that caliber on a store shelf. And that's not just because I'm old and my memory is poor. :D

A rifle that really got "caught" in the rapid transition to .223 (and sadly away from the .222 and Magnum) was the Remington Model 600: .222's are relatively common. The .223 was introduced near the end of production of the Model 600. Very few were made.

What is now the "garden variety" and "seen everywhere" cartridge (.223) actually makes a Model 600 in that chambering the Holy Grail to collectors.

yeah but that M6 is an SBR...good luck finding an original.

Springfield and others made a copy in 22lr/410 with a 16" bbl...Comes in a nice blue box.:s0069:
May have been a scarce few of the hornet done as well. I forget.

Several years ago I picked up from a LGS a 1938 Stevens first year model 22/410. That model was the forerunner to all Savage model 24's, as Savage merged with the Stevens Arms Co. in 1942, and absorbed the combo gun into the Savage stable as the #24 after WWII. The Stevens 22/410 was offered in a wood grain plastic Tenite stock. My specimen is in great shape and the Tenite stock is in fantastic condition, which is amazing considering plastics technology in the 30's. We had barely been through the Bakelite era and still just discovering what plastics can do. Still are....
I believe the utilitarian popularity of the 22/410 was one of the catalyst for Savage's acquisition of Stevens. Shortly after the release of the Stevens 22/410 the US Army Air Corp purchased a substantial number, in original configuration, as survival weapons equipped on bombers, and continued to do so through the end of WWII.
My Stevens is a sweet shooter, has been used little and is well taken care of. It has accounted for a fair number of grouse, quail, rabbits and vermin, as well as some reptiles, but is not a truck gun. I'll hunt it, then clean and place it back in the safe. Wonderful little gun.

Last Edited:

These are about the same gun... in a way.
While a teen, I traded a bear trap for my first Hornet rifle (Savage 340 type). The elderly gentleman also supplied some military-issued FMJ Hornet ammo (in boxes) with the gun.
I shot it all up and haven't seen any since. Undoubtedly supplied for the M6 in the day.

Those solid made older guns are hard to find around here and when they come up glean about $800CDN or more. I wanted one for years in 22/12 or 30-30/12 and never did get one. I had to settle for a Bronco .22/.410. It worked OK though. Served it's purpose.

Those solid made older guns are hard to find around here and when they come up glean about $800CDN or more. I wanted one for years in 22/12 or 30-30/12 and never did get one. I had to settle for a Bronco .22/.410. It worked OK though. Served it's purpose.
The 12 ga combos are hard to find, most are 20 ga.

I think most of the 12 ga combos were rebranded and made by Valmet - essentially a Valmet 412 but without the ability to switch barrels?

I have a 24 with synthetic stocks - 20ga/223

I think this combo would make one of the best "combo guns".
When the time comes to sell or trade, I may be interested.
This price seems outrageous to me. I guess it is gun joker Screenshot_20230410_165933_Chrome.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top