JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
P. T. Barnum and his famous 'Fiji Mermaid' hoax.

feejee-mermaid.jpg

Well, this is all the proof that I need of hoaxes being perpetrated in the 19th century.

I stand corrected!
So this guy buys a hunting rifle. He's never hunted before but he goes out in the woods looking for a bear. Suddenly there is a tap on his shoulder. He turns around and it's a bear standing right behind him. The bear says tells him he's got two choices. He can be mauled to death in front of the other bears or they can go in the bushes and do the Brokeback Mountain thing. Well he doesn't want to die so he goes for door number two. A few weeks go by and he just can't get the experience out of his head. He decides the bear has to pay for what he did. He buys some camouflage gear and sneaks back out to where he saw the bear. He spots several bears but none of them look like the one he's after. Suddenly he feels a tap on his shoulder. "Oh no" he thinks and sure enough who do you suppose it is. The bear says "Well you know what to do, bend over." The guy says "Right here in front of the other bears?" The bear says "Hey, I've got a reputation to keep up, I can't just let you go." Well a few weeks go by and the guy just can't let it go. He gets a bigger gun and just marches right down to where he saw the bears last, turning around every few yards to make sure no one can sneak up on him. But wouldn't you know it, once again tap tap on the shoulder. He turns around and the bear looks at him, sighs and says "Son, you're not really here to hunt, are you?"

Now I told you that story to ask you this: You're not really here to discuss anything, are you?

So this guy buys a hunting rifle. He's never hunted before but he goes out in the woods looking for a bear. Suddenly there is a tap on his shoulder. He turns around and it's a bear standing right behind him. The bear says tells him he's got two choices. He can be mauled to death in front of the other bears or they can go in the bushes and do the Brokeback Mountain thing. Well he doesn't want to die so he goes for door number two. A few weeks go by and he just can't get the experience out of his head. He decides the bear has to pay for what he did. He buys some camouflage gear and sneaks back out to where he saw the bear. He spots several bears but none of them look like the one he's after. Suddenly he feels a tap on his shoulder. "Oh no" he thinks and sure enough who do you suppose it is. The bear says "Well you know what to do, bend over." The guy says "Right here in front of the other bears?" The bear says "Hey, I've got a reputation to keep up, I can't just let you go." Well a few weeks go by and the guy just can't let it go. He gets a bigger gun and just marches right down to where he saw the bears last, turning around every few yards to make sure no one can sneak up on him. But wouldn't you know it, once again tap tap on the shoulder. He turns around and the bear looks at him, sighs and says "Son, you're not really here to hunt, are you?"

Now I told you that story to ask you this: You're not really hear to discuss anything, are you?
Huge presumption on your behalf.

But a nice story nontheless.

Regardless of any evidence presented, the non-believer's will continue to deny the veracity of the opposing party"s argument. It's the same as trying to convince a person who's mind is already made up that something they believe is wrong.

Kinda like communism.

Huge presumption on your behalf.

But a nice story nontheless.

Regardless of any evidence presented, the non-believer's will continue to deny the veracity of the opposing party"s argument. It's the same as trying to convince a person who's mind is already made up that something they believe is wrong.

Kinda like communism.
LOL, you keep saying a whole lot of nothing. If you had evidence you could have posted it here long ago and with far less effort than you've put into this thread but of course you don't.

The two most likely explanations for your behavior are not at all flattering.

LOL, you keep saying a whole lot of nothing. If you had evidence you could have posted it here long ago and with far less effort than you've put into this thread but of course you don't.

The two most likely explanations for your behavior are not at all flattering.
Curious, what would those explanation be?

That I'm at a bar with friends and don't have the information at my fingertips to appease the gallery?

Or that I'm here to troll all of you well-meaning folks with hyperbole and exaggerations?

Curious, what would those explanation be?

That I'm at a bar with friends and don't have the information at my fingertips to appease the gallery?

Or that I'm here to troll all of you well-meaning folks with hyperbole and exaggerations?
It's impolite to diddle your phone when out with friends.

Yeah but I can't help but expect that after all the centuries we've been here we would have found at least some bones if not a carcass. We've found bones from stuff that hasn't been here in millennia.
Bodies don't last long in the maritime NW. Has anyone ever run into A dead cougar or bones? I've heard they are very secretive and usually stay out of sight, cross logging roads quickly, walking parallel them, not along them. If the animal has always been somewhat rare, we would be unlikely to find fossils.

What would maximize the possibility of saSquatch being able to exist but not be shot by someone or discovered? Being nocturnal. Living in the higher mountains rather than the lowlands humans usually prefer. Being secretive and staying out of open areas where they are exposed. (Otherwise people would be seeing them from planes all the time.) Avoiding roads. Or they would be seen much more regularly and turn up as roadkill. All their sign would need to resemble the sign of other critters such as bears or cougar, or elk or deer. (Or hunters would get suspicious and would have hauled fur to the DNA guys.) They probably aren't predators on medium or bigger mammals. If they were they would have drawn attention to themselves by killing cattle and sheep in open ranges. And would probably get seen a lot more often by people hunting deer and elk. They need to usually strongly avoid people. It would help a lot if they mostly hibernated in winter. That way they would be out of sight much of the time and would be less likely to get discovered by leaving tracks in fresh snow. They need to not start fires, because they would get discovered by fire watchers. It would also help if they also buried, ate, or disposed of their dead.

Well, A creature with those characteristics is theoretically possible. But what would it eat? It could either be an omnivore like chimps or a herbivore like gorilla.

Bodies don't last long in the maritime NW. Has anyone ever run into A dead cougar or bones? I've heard they are very secretive and usually stay out of sight, cross logging roads quickly, walking parallel them, not along them. If the animal has always been somewhat rare, we would be unlikely to find fossils.

What would maximize the possibility of saSquatch being able to exist but not be shot by someone or discovered? Being nocturnal. Living in the higher mountains rather than the lowlands humans usually prefer. Being secretive and staying out of open areas where they are exposed. (Otherwise people would be seeing them from planes all the time.) Avoiding roads. Or they would be seen much more regularly and turn up as roadkill. All their sign would need to resemble the sign of other critters such as bears or cougar, or elk or deer. (Or hunters would get suspicious and would have hauled fur to the DNA guys.) They probably aren't predators on medium or bigger mammals. If they were they would have drawn attention to themselves by killing cattle and sheep in open ranges. And would probably get seen a lot more often by people hunting deer and elk. They need to usually strongly avoid people. It would help a lot if they mostly hibernated in winter. That way they would be out of sight much of the time and would be less likely to get discovered by leaving tracks in fresh snow. They need to not start fires, because they would get discovered by fire watchers. It would also help if they also buried, ate, or disposed of their dead.

Well, A creature with those characteristics is theoretically possible. But what would it eat? It could either be an omnivore like chimps or a herbivore like gorilla.
The problem is evolutionary paths. If a population of bigfoot has managed to survive, from what did they come from? As has been said before in this thread, North American primates went mostly extinct 56 million years ago with a few species surviving to 26 million years ago, long before humans. And those known fossils? None were larger than either tarsiers or lemurs. More damning, there is a fossil tentatively dated to 21 million years ago, of a South American capuchin-like monkey that managed to go North from South America before the Panama land rose.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top